Is Criterion's Brazil safe to buy?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Matt Stieg, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Matt Stieg

Matt Stieg Stunt Coordinator

Anyone know of any plans for an anamorphic re-release? Thinking of buying it today with my Christmas money and, of course, I don't want to discover a little while later that I blew my money.

Also, anyone know if Universal is gonna re-release their version? While Criterion's version is great, I'd still like to have the original theatrical version as well.

2. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    An anamorphic re-release is very unlikely. And Universal only releases the theatrical, edited version and not the prefered director's cut.

3. Matt Stieg

Thanks for the info, I'll be buying it later tonight then.

4. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

This title is screaming for a anamorhic transfer and would be shocked if it wasn't reissued with one sometime in 2005.

5. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    Actually, the Universal release IS the Director's Cut. It's just mislabelled as the theatrical version.

As far as I know, the theatrical version isn't available on DVD.

6. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

Universal re-issued BRAZIL a few months back with a sticker claiming "Directors Cut" on the front-however, in their stupidity, they simply re-issued the same 4:3 letterbox transfer.
    Criterion seems to have no plans to reissue enhanced versions of older discs, despite many pleas, including my own, to John Mulvaney ("No plans at this time")

So my guess is we will not see one in 2005.
    Better try another region.

7. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman

Isn't that the "Love Conquers All" cut that's included in the Criterion release?

8. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    I'm with Aaron, "Love Conquors All" is the Theatrical abomination... er, version, and it's included in the Criterion set. And, as was said before, Criterion has stated they don't plan on going back to revisit this title. Buy it and enjoy.

9. Wayne W

Wayne W Stunt Coordinator

The "Love Conquors All" version is the butchered TV version that Gilliam refused to put his name on. The Directors Cut has some scene added back in that were in the original European release. This is the one on the Criterion release (I've only seen the laserdisc set, but the DVD should have the same one.) I'm not sure about any of the non-Criterion releases.

10. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

The Criterion DVD set includes both the true director's cut and the Love Conquers All cut. (I don't know about the LD set.)

11. Rob_Walton

Rob_Walton Second Unit

Well they did revisit Charade , so here's hoping ...

12. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    Not to mention M.

13. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

No, that's not the theatrical version. I know, because I saw the theatrical version in the theater after the L.A. Film Critics Association gave it best picture, best director and best screenplay, and Universal was effectively forced to release the film in Gilliam's original U.S. cut.

As noted, the Criterion version integrates the U.S. and European cuts, and it's supposed to represent Gilliam's final word on the film. Although I've never done a scene-by-scene comparison, I believe this is the version on the Universal DVD.

M.

14. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    I am pretty sure that the Universal cut is different from both cuts on the Criterion edition. I don't have time to compare them, though.

Now that you mention it, I think that the Universal DVD is the cut that was released theatrically in the US, and the Criterion "director's cut" is an extended version of that.

15. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Wonder what DVD beaver has to say...be right back...

hmmm...no mention as to any difference to the content of the film on these various DVD incarnations (among which are the Criterion and the R1 universal dvd)

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/brazil.htm

16. DonaldB

DonaldB Supporting Actor

No, Aaron, the theatrical cut and the director's cut are one and the same. The "Love Conquers All" version included as an extra on the Criterion set is what Universal wanted to release as the theatrical version, but in the end they capitulated and released the film exactly as Gilliam desired. The Universal disc features the same cut of the film as on the main Criterion disc.

17. Matt Stieg

Not quite, or at least the US theatrical cut is different from the director's cut (don't know about the European theatrical cut). The US cut runs 131 minutes and is NOT available on DVD. The confusion results because Universal listed the runtime on their DVD as 131 minutes, when it is in fact the 142-minute director's cut.

18. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

There are actually three versions of the film (aside from Love Conquers All, which was never released theatrically or, indeed, anywhere outside of US television). There is the US theatrical cut, the European theatrical cut (which is longer than the US cut) and the Director's Cut.

The European theatrical cut is available on DVD in anamorphic widescreen in R2 and R4 and looks noticeably better than the Criterion DVD. Unfortunately, it is 6 minutes shorter.

19. DaveRU

DaveRU Stunt Coordinator

This thread is full of misinformation, here's the list of versions, one of which isn't available on DVD:

(1) Original 142 mins European cut - available worldwide on DVD with a PAL runtime of 136 mins or from Brazil in NTSC with the non-speeded up runtime

(2) US Theatrical cut of 131 mins - Not available on DVD, basically a shortened version of (1)

(3) "Love Conquers All" version 94 mins - Available in the Criterion set, contains many alternative takes and scenes

(4) Final Director's Cut 142 mins - Available on Universal R1 or the Criterion set. Basically the European cut but starts with clouds and some extra footage in one scene

(1) & (4) are both "Director's Cuts", I think Gilliam couldn't just release the European cut so changed it slightly

20. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    Thanks for clearing that up, Dave! [​IMG]

That's probably where I got confused. I haven't watched it in a long time and am working from memory here. (Guess I can get rid of my Universal disc, then. [​IMG] )