Is Criterion intrested in The Adventures of Baron Munchausan again?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tyler T, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Tyler T

Tyler T Stunt Coordinator

I really hate the fact that a bare bones DVD version of this wonderful Gilliam film is out. There was a LD CC of this film a few years ago which was good. So, has there been any intrest in picking up this film and releasing a DVD of it. This would also be good since Criterion has Time Bandits and Brazil out. With Baron, the complete Dreams Trilogy would be out.

2. Damien Montanile

Damien Montanile Stunt Coordinator

im sure they will be....seeing as how I finally got sick of waiting and purchased the DVD...

Like I posted in another thread...If I buy a DVD...an SE edition will surely come

3. William DAnnucci

William DAnnucci Stunt Coordinator

Criterion lost their contract with Columbia/Tri-Star, so I doubt they will be bringing MUNCHAUSEN to DVD. Our loss. [​IMG]
    You may have noticed a lot of great Criterion special editions of Columbia titles never made it to DVD... TAXI DRIVER being a notable one.
    So glad I still have my laser player and these great LD babies! [​IMG]

4. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

my usual rant:...not only is the DVD bare bones, but I dont think the transfer comes anywhere near the quality of either their earlier LD (or Criterions) color palete wise. Both captured the rich, golden, Italian-Renaissance Painting look that is lacking on the DVD, which has too many muddy browns, bland colors, and poor shadow detail.

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Criterion recently traded their Holy Grail commentary to Columbia in exchange for some titles. I'm willing to be Munchausen is one of them

6. Damien Montanile

Damien Montanile Stunt Coordinator

I would think (while I might not necessarily agree) that more "popular" titles would have been traded. I dont remember ABM being a popular titled with the majority of the population (which is a definite shame...I would have liked to have added it to my signature)....For all of our sake I hope Im wrong.

-D

7. Shane Gralaw

Shane Gralaw Second Unit

Jeff, this is interesting...(re: trading the commentary for title rights) where did you get this info? Which titles did Criterion aquire in exchange? Inquiring minds want to know...

8. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

Jeff, That is interesting news indeed. This would make it the first time Criterion has ever done something like that, and a major change to their operating policy.
    Damn, I never listened to the Columbia commentaries for the Holy Grail SE (thinking that it would just rehash what I have heard on the Criterion LD). Now I've gotta give them a listen if not just to witness history. [​IMG]

9. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

Let's not forget the other Gilliam film in Criterion's laserdisc collection, The Fisher King !
    Columbia Tristar catalogues here in the UK have included The Fisher King (with a list of special features similar to those on the Criterion edition) for a very long time, but the disc itself has not been forthcoming.
    It would be a shame if these two titles continued to languish without a decent DVD release. Both laserdiscs were terrific, with excellent supplements and very entertaining commentary tracks by the director.

10. Colin O'H

Colin O'H Auditioning

Oh God I wish that Criterion could get their hands on the rights to both Munchausen and King on dvd. I never got into laserdisc so I wonder did the Munchausen laser have the Biography of Gilliam that has aired on television both in the states and the UK? It was shot at around the same time as Baron was completed so it was a good feel of what he was up to at the time?Any info appreciated.
    Thanks[​IMG]

11. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

There's a half-hour documentary about the making of Munchausen called "Hot Air And Fantasy". That wasn't on the Criterion disc, but would make a wonderful addition to any future release. I have several contemporary Gilliam interviews from the film's UK promotional tour on tape, and they could be added, too.

Unused "Fisher King" material is less conspicuous, but there is a Robin Williams interview on a British chat show called "Wogan". I'm sure more of this sort of thing would be available in the US, for both films.

12. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    It would be nice to see a Fisher King SE. The Columbia R1 DVD has a comparable picture to the Criterion with improvements in detail (it's anamorphic) and chroma noise, but the DD 2.0 sound is thin and anemic compared to the Criterion PCM to a degree that I suspect is due to more than just DD compression. Given the Criterion Collection's great laserdisc & DVD track records with the films of Terry Gilliam & David Lean, I know which Columbia titles I would like to see re-issued by Criterion. [​IMG]
    Regards,

13. Jefferson Morris

Jefferson Morris Supporting Actor

14. Colin O'H

Colin O'H Auditioning

For those in the states the A&E network is airing a Biography episode of Gilliam throughout this week.It is good enough to belong on a disc.It is heavy on Munch.

15. Tyler T

Well I have always been intrested in LD's (I used to have a player about 1989-1995, but never bought any LD's just rented them from the local library) and I imagine I can find Baron Munchausen (sp?) on LD somewhere. Of course I've got to get an LD player first [​IMG]
    But really, if Columbia-Tri-Star released a special edition of AOBM and had all of the Criterion extras plus more, I would be happy. I think the Monty Python & The Holy Grail:SE has all the stuff on the Criterion LD (commentary by the two Terry's, the extra 24 seconds, a scene from the film in Japanese, and some production stills), doesn't it? Oh, and a Special Edition of The Fisher King would make me like CTRHV more... But back on Baron Munchausen, I would actually prefer a Criterion, because I have Time Bandits and Brazil CC's and Baron would complete the trilogy. Oh well...
    [​IMG]

16. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I consider The Adventures of Baron Munchausen one of the most underrated movies ever made. I would LOVE some kind of SE, Criterion or otherwise!

17. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

18. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I'm not that big on The Fisher King, but I would snap up The Adventures of Baron Munchausen CC in a heartbeat. Wouldn't it be great if Criterion got the rights to the 1943 German film Baron Muenchhausen and made a two-disc set with both movies?

19. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

The 1943 version, a lavish colour production, is quite remarkable, and it's somewhat surprising to find that it's not available on DVD, even in Germany.

There's also a really nice Czech version from 1962 titled "Baron Prasil" and a Melies short.

Any of these adaptations would make fine additions to Criterion's catalogue.

20. Tyler T