What's new

Is Costco phasing out DVDs? (1 Viewer)

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Sometimes you found gems there.
I picked up THE DARK CRYSTAL-SE box for $19.99!
Most places still want $39-49 for it...

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Same for the Lewisville, TX store. I'd encourage everyone to call the customer service number Karl posted above. As for their pricing, I did pick up Amazing Stories today for $30.09 which is $4+ cheaper than any online store.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
I primarily buy TV season sets on DVD and Costco used to be my main supplier, and I would always look forward to going there on Tuesday release day. They used to mostly have what I was looking for; then it became hit and miss; then it became more miss than hit. Now I buy everything from Amazon, and I don't even bother to look at Costco. When you factor in the savings from no tax and Amazon Prime free two day shipping; they usually beat Costco's price anyway. It is probably because of people like me that they are moving away from dvds. If it was not for their great cat litter deal, I would probably end my membership.

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Yes I'm being a bit humorous here, but upon interpreting the above comment a certain way...why do I find it funny that those two items seem to go hand-in-hand? ;)

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
I don't know about Costco, but for Sam's Club, new releases for DVDs and cds suck, price wise. Tv sets can be competitive with other stores' first week sales, but most movies are maybe $18 and change... when regular stores average $15, sometimes less than $14.

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
$50 a year aint bad at all... that's about $1 per week, and you could probably easily save $50 within a week or two of shopping. I guess it really depends on how often you go, if you just go for dvds and such, and do your shopping elsewhere, then there's no benefit.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
BTW, if you're at Costco, look for the coupon flyer that will have coupons for $20 off HBO DVD sets starting Aug. 21 (around that week).

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis

What great kitty litter deal? :eek:

I typically buy all my meat, fish, and house wine there, along with petrol of course. I drink a lot of cranberry cocktail and they have a great deal there. But their quality has been slipping on other items in the last year. I used to always get the 10 lb sack of onions there for $3, but the last few sacks had too many rotten onions in them.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
My local store just added a big walk-in refrigerated section for vegetables.

Agreed it's easy to save $50/ year on meat and fish alone, even with just two adults in the house.

Patrick, thanks for the tip on the HBO sets! Deals on those are few and far between. (I actually saw a copy of Carnivale Season 1 for $30 used recently, but left it on the shelf since I knew that it's a continuing storyline that will likely never be completed.)

Mary_P

Second Unit
Just got back from my local Costco and I have to say the DVD section is as big as ever, and better-stocked than usual. Lotsa TV and other box sets, including all the new Buffy slimpaks.

And, darnit, I forgot to look at kitty litter!

Christopher_H

Stunt Coordinator
Finally had a good reason to get a new release from Costco. Picked Up Simpsons Season 8 for 20.99 with instant $10 off at the register.

DanFe

Second Unit
If you do a lot of your shopping at Costco like I do and have an American Express through them, get their Executive Membership at $100. It pays for itself and I'm getting $80 back this year. I don't know anyone who has a membership just for dvds--that's just plain stupid.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Finally got to my club today. They have downsized the DVD selection, but it appears they simply lost a lot of the bargain priced catalog titles. They still seemed to have a pretty large selection of box sets and all the new releases (including the Hitchcock and Charlie Chaplin collection boxes at about 1/3 off the prices I paid just a few months ago!! :angry: ) ;)

Mary_P

Second Unit
Well, I don't buy *just* DVDs at Costco, but if I stopped finding DVD deals there, it would definitely be a major factor in deciding whether or not to renew my membership the next time it comes up. Especially since I also have a Sam's Club membership and that location is a lot more convenient for me, and on a lot of things they carry similar stock at similar prices. Right now I'm using both of them enough to justify the membership fees, but if one or the other were to drop or reduce their DVD sections, I wouldn't have a problem with going to the other exclusively.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit

Has anyone seen this coupon flyer yet? I am considering buying Rome, and this coupon would be the only way I could justify it.

Brian Little

Stunt Coordinator

I'm assuming your refering to the Hitchcock Masterpice Collection and not some boxset with a bunch of public domain Hitchcock titles in it? I didn't see it at my Costco a week ago. What was it about at yours?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks