1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Is collecting excessive amounts of TV shows on DVD a hobby OR an obsessive-compulsive disorder?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ron Lee Green, Feb 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    In the case of my music, music is cheap (and so can be TV shows, naturally). I love hitting the flea markets and purchasing LP's and 8-tracks for 50¢ or $1. I've really wasted no money, and if I like what I hear, all the better. If not, crap on it, it can go to charity. I've actually been on YouTube this morning pulling up mp3 versions of some lesser quality tapes that needed repair work done. I own the music already, so I'm not breaking any copyright laws.

Tony Bensley, Darby67 and Flashgear like this.
  2. Jasper70

Jasper70 Stunt Coordinator

Harold
    95% of my collection has been purchased very cheaply. Most DVDs for $1 and most Blu-rays for $2 or $3. Some of my box sets I’ve gotten stupid cheap. A few years ago I got the original complete Twilight Zone Blu-ray set for $6. Star Wars 6 movie Blu-ray set for $10. I also get box sets with my CC points. Just got the original Hawaii Five-0. Occasionally I’ll buy online but it’s usually something that will rarely show up at a pawn shop like Twilight Time editions etc. Or if it’s something I consider a must have such as when (not if, thinking positive) Magnum, P.I. gets a domestic Blu-ray release. That will be a day one preorder.

3. Message #83 of 124 Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green Supporting Actor

I purchase a lot of DVDs on sale, too. I'm sure we've all gotten great deals. It doesn't matter if you pay a $1 or $100. You could be a millionaire and pay full MSRP and still have this problem. The point is: Do you watch them? If you do, than you're good. If you don't, than maybe something else is going on.
    I purchased a lot of TV DVD sets dirt cheap during the Big Lots' Warner Bros. dump fiasco a few years ago. I bought seven seasons of Dallas ($6 each), Six seasons of Superman ($3 each), five seasons of The Flintstones ($3 each). I didn't buy them just because they were cheap. I actually like these shows. I passed on other sets like the Dukes of Hazzard, and whatever else they had. I keep saying I'll watch them someday, but its been at least 5 years since I purchased them and they're all still sealed. There's just not enough time to watch everything I want. Nevertheless, I feel I'll regret it someday if I get rid of them.

4. tns49

tns49 Agent

Timothy
    My DVD (and preferred Blu-ray) collection is only for TV shows I have loved over the years.:) But my Movie collection is out of control.:eek:

Flashgear, Richard V and Darby67 like this.
  5. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I did the bulk of my disc buying in the 2000s and I'm still working my way through some of them, both movies and TV. There are a handful of core favorites I give priority to for format upgrades, then I sample new (or new-to-me) releases to see if I like them enough to watch them more than once. If I do, then I buy them. I have two swiveling shelves from SkyMall (may they rest in peace), so that affects how much constitutes "enough" in my book. And I also have to make space for books, music, furniture, and to be able to walk around in my own house.

Flashgear, Jasper70 and Darby67 like this.
  6. Jasper70

Jasper70 Stunt Coordinator

Harold
    Of course I watch them. Usually every day of the week. They are my nightly entertainment after I put in a day of work.

7. stringbean

stringbean Agent

Snorbitz
    It got me thinking so I did a bit of Googling on the subject.

https://www.verywellmind.com/the-difference-between-an-addiction-and-a-compulsion-22240

The Key Differences

There are two main differences between addiction and compulsion. They include:

1. Pleasure
    A compulsion, at least as it is experienced in obsessive-compulsive disorder, does not include the experience of pleasure, whereas an addiction does. While people who have addictions suffer all manner of discomforts, the desire to use the substance or engage in the behavior is based on the expectation that it will be pleasurable.

2. Reality

Another major distinction between an addiction and a compulsion has to do with the individual’s awareness of reality. When people have obsessive-compulsive disorder, they are usually aware that their obsession is not real. They are often disturbed by feeling the need to carry out a behavior that defies logic, yet they do it anyway to relieve their anxiety.

Flashgear and Tony Bensley like this.
  8. Wiseguy

Wiseguy Stunt Coordinator

Erich P. Wise
    You can get both of those shows over-the-air for free.

9. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    He might not have an OTA antenna. Not all of us can get by with rabbit ears! :laugh:

Tony Bensley likes this.
  10. kevin_y

kevin_y Stunt Coordinator

The only times I buy movies I don't necessarily watch (at least not right away) are movies that I haven't seen and may have only a passing interest in (which I have no way of knowing for sure without seeing them first), and yet are hard to find for rental, streaming, or rarely shown on TV, etc. And if limited edition discs are available and may go out of print easily, I will be tempted to buy them out of the curiosity to see them, fearing that if I miss this chance I may not have another one again. With the proliferation of streaming, this is becoming rarer and rarer.

Flashgear and Darby67 like this.
  11. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    Does intention to watch them count? I fully intend to watch every single purchase but it’s going to take the rest of my life at this point.

12. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    Or at least, not a severe one that has spiraled out of control. A few years ago, the Mrs was on a kick with viewing such shows about extreme hoarding (Fearing that we could end up like that, if we weren't careful!), and many of these extreme cases of unhealthy hoarding (Way, way beyond simply owning too much physical media!) were indeed, heartbreaking to witness!
    Jason, the fact that you recognized this as a potential issue, and became proactive in rectifying your situation separates you from these depressing stories about extreme hoarders who actually reach the point of hoarding garbage! My wife and I have also been purging in preparation and anticipation of a big move, hopefully later this year.

CHEERS! :)

13. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Maybe showing this thread to my wife would improve the WAF for my own collecting, LOL. :D

FWIW, I generally avoid buying TV series if I can. There are definitely too many discs in TV series to collect. And honestly, I find that most network TV series are so easy to enjoy at random that there's really no need to collect. I'm generally never looking to watch a very specific episode of a specific series to care to own them anyway -- and many of the better ones are readily available via streaming services like NetFlix and Amazon Prime, if not on YouTube or the like. There are a handful of high quality (usually shorter) series that don't fit that description, and those are pretty much the only ones I own -- and that's already more than enough IMHO...

And yes, some people would probably still wonder if I'm not a little OCD or a hoarder, LOL...

_Man_

Flashgear likes this.
  14. tlc38tlc38

tlc38tlc38 Stunt Coordinator

Trent
    I live in the sticks so satellite is my only option. Cable isn't even available in my area. A regular antenna doesn't pick up anything where I am.

Flashgear and bmasters9 like this.
  15. bmasters9

bmasters9 Cinematographer

Ben Masters
    Here's, I think, another possible reason why we don't see all the releases of all the shows we purchase on DVD-- some of us grew up in strict, incredibly sheltered organized religious environments that put heavy emphasis on avoiding "the world" and "worldly entertainments."

Where this applies here (agree or disagree if you will) is that some organized religious environments only frown on most of what is on today, but don't say much about the classics of yesteryear. Others, however, it would seem, take it much further and make no such distinction-- it makes no difference whether it's from yesteryear or today, or how much sex or violence it has; just because it's television, it's a "worldly entertainment" and "immorality," and therefore to be avoided, lock, stock and barrel.

The way I've been is that (as I've said before, IIRC) I may not care for a lot of what is on today, but I'm not going to make those who do like what is on today give it up (I'm generally a "live and let live" type in that respect; before, I was incredibly judgmental).

I just thought I'd bring that out there as another possible reason.

Flashgear likes this.
  16. Message #96 of 124 Feb 18, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    Martin Dew

Martin Dew HTF News Editor

Martin Dew
    I have a rule about my collection. Saves me a lot of time, money and space - a sort of inverse OCD. I'm allowed 200 feature films on BD or UHD, period. If I go over that amount, I have to sell any I'm not so hot about anymore or lower-res redundant titles. It's like my top AFI 100 (although in this case 200); the films I would take to a desert island or show again and again on movie night, and that's it. I do the same with my Super 8 and 16mm film collection.

17. Kasey

Kasey Second Unit

Kasey
    I think the convenience of having entire seasons on DVD, at a fraction of the cost/space of what it used to be on VHS made it easy for many of us to build large collections that snowballed before we realized it.

I myself am guilty of buying shows I NEVER would have recorded on VHS for the above reasons. Series like Get Smart, Little House on the Prairie, Murder She Wrote and Leave it to Beaver are not ones I would have ever recorded from TV but since they were cheap enough in bargain bins, I couldn’t resist.

Now that I am approaching age 50, it seems daunting to find the time to watch all these before I ultimately expire. Working 70 hr work weeks for 10 years didn’t exactly afford me free to time binge either. Now that my work schedule is normal, more or less, I am taking time to enjoy my purchases. But I know I will eventually end up selling sets that I will never have the time/inclination to watch again. Mostly, the more modern ones like The Sopranos, Two and a Half Men, Sex and the City, Glee.

A few months before Ron started this thread, I decided I wasn’t going to buy anything more, aside from a few unreleased grails, should they come up, like the rest of Alice, Donna Reed or Phyllis. Otherwise, I’m done.

Suzanne.S, Flashgear, Regulus and 5 others like this.
  18. Regulus

Regulus Cinematographer

William Hughes
    With the exception of Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In I'm just waiting for a few "Grails" myself' It's been a great 11 years since I began this hobby'

Flashgear likes this.
  19. DFurr

DFurr Second Unit
    Supporter

Don
    Everyone has a formula for collecting. Mine is pretty simple and easy to understand.
    First, I don't care about TV shows so I don't have ANY dvd's or BD's of TV shows/series. Where my collection habits differ from most folks is I am a 35mm film collector foremost. Film is expensive and requires a lot of storage space. A long time ago I decided that I wouldn't buy a film print if I didn't intend to watch it at least 3-4 time a year. That formula keeps my film collection manageable in terms of storage space and if during the year I discover I'm not watching a certain title, I sell it and free up space for another title. When it comes to blu rays, I have a theory. If I'm interested in a new title release that cost $14-$30 I'll buy it because it's cheaper than two tickets, 2 drinks and a large popcorn in a southern California movie theatre. I just look at that as buying two tickets to a theatre and I own the title to watch later, or not.
    I don't double, triple or quadruple dip on BD's. DVD's upscaled to 2K and blu rays projected with a good projector and BD player in a 2K format are good enough for me. I'll never buy a 4K BD and I won't upgrade my Oppo 103 to a 4K player.
    On the other hand, I will purchase EVERY golden age 3D movie that hits the market regardless of the title. I love 3D BD's and 35mm 3D titles.
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!

bd

Brent Reid and Flashgear like this.
  20. Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo Screenwriter

Brian Camp
    Normally, I watch mostly westerns and Japanese movies and TV shows--samurai, yakuza, superhero, J-pop, anime, etc. But lately, I've adopted a habit of watching an old Hollywood movie on VHS at night to help me fall asleep, something that doesn't require subtitles and is not filled with action or stimulation of any kind. I have tons of such movies and have had no difficulty finding tapes that fit the bill, usually with three movies on each, mostly taped over the last decade or so off TCM (or the Fox Movie Channel). I've watched five films this way in the past week. Three of them were notorious flops when they were released.

The trouble is, some of these films, which may be pretty bad on the surface, are just astounding and I wind up not falling asleep or at least not until more than half-way through (I invariably watch the rest of the film the next morning since I tend to wake up super-early). This was true of VALLEY OF THE DOLLS (1967), the trashy boxoffice hit based on Jacqueline Susann's novel, and THE PRODIGAL (1955), a biblical spectacle starring Lana Turner as a high priestess of a fertility cult in ancient Damascus, both of which are genuinely bad, but absolutely compelling and I'm glad I watched them. However, one of them, again generally considered a "bad" film on the surface, was so engrossing I watched it all in one two-hour sitting and then got up to type up notes on it, not getting to bed till 2AM, three to four hours after I usually fall asleep. It was SINCERELY YOURS (1955), Liberace's only starring film, and I loved it. Every scene had something startling in it and every plot twist had me dropping my jaw and muttering, "Oh no, they didn't!" Sure, Liberace is terrible as an actor, but the film is built quite strongly around his act, which is smoothly incorporated into the film, giving us lots of virtuoso piano scenes, all beautifully staged, including a Carnegie Hall finale. I liked it so much I now want to get the Warner Archive DVD.

Other films I watched during this VHS binge are ONIONHEAD (1958), a very unusual Andy Griffith vehicle set on a Coast Guard ship during WWII and indicative of a completely different path Griffith could have taken as an actor, and TWENTY PLUS TWO (1961), the only real stinker in the bunch, a low-key crime drama with a plot hole so egregious it derails the whole film. Yet I'm glad I saw it because of the cast (David Janssen, Dina Merrill, Jeanne Crain, + numerous great character actors) and the polished direction by Joseph Newman. It's part of a brief cycle of Janssen starring roles before he started "The Fugitive" and they're all fascinating to watch for the differences between his movie characters and his TV style of acting.

My point is that I wouldn't be making these discoveries from hidden corners of Hollywood if I didn't have these tapes and I didn't have a DVD/VCR combo connected to a monitor in my bedroom for just such late-evening viewing. Sometimes the best viewing experiences are random ones like this.

However, as I get older and more focused in my retirement, I'm going to have to get rid of hundreds of these tapes, particularly the older ones, pre-cable, taped off pan-and-scan airings from broadcast TV complete with commercials. Those started back to 1982. I did purge some of them a couple of years ago, but that barely made a dent. I'll do it and I'm sure I won't miss most of them, but I hope I don't discard an unsung discovery-in-waiting like the films I cited above.

P.S. I also watched THE BRIDE WORE BLACK, a Truffaut favorite from 1968, because it happened to be on the tape after SINCERELY YOURS and I had the urge to see it again and hear that gorgeous Herrmann score again. And I didn't have to go looking for it!

Brent Reid and Flashgear like this.