Is City of God uncut

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Charlie O., Apr 6, 2004.

1. Charlie O.

Charlie O. Supporting Actor

The the region 1 DVD release of "City of God" uncut?

2. JonBoriss

JonBoriss Stunt Coordinator

you mean is it the same as what was shown theatrically?

3. Charlie O.

Well I never saw it in theaters, how about is it the same as all the other regions?

4. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

I've heard nothing about a difference in versions of this film.

As far as I know, there is only one cut of the film on DVD which is the exact same cut in the theatres.

Great film!

5. Charlie O.

Thank you.

6. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

Actually, according to the IMDB there is indeed a longer cut:
    I'd be interested what the running time of the original release in Brazil was, and which cut is out on R2 DVD...
    You guys didn't really think that Harvey Scissorhands would leave this one alone, did you? [​IMG]

Ted

7. Marc Colella

I guess I spoke too soon.

Looking at the DVD reviews from other regions, there are 124m, 125m and 130m cuts. None of them appear to be 135m cut that was supposedly at the Toronto Film Festival.

8. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

Are you accounting for the 4% PAL speed-up where applicable?

Ted

9. Marc Colella

Would an actual R2 PAL disc play 4% faster on a R2 player?

I always get confused with this stuff.

10. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Marc: Yes, the film, for the same cut, will be 4% shorter in temporal duration [​IMG] It is recorded to disc that way, nothing you can do. It is part of the reason why some UK film afficionados on this board buy so many R1 releases even though their native R2 release may have some other extra/superior content. So 130min R1 would be ~125min in R2.

There are other threads on this DVD, or at least that discuss it somewhat. My voiced concern is what will get dumped/changed for the Canadian release, as it's a Brazillian film and non-U.S. films typically get "reduced content" and/or quality here. Some other regions have had this disc for ~6 months, and there is dts and DD5.1 available: what will the U.S. get, and what will Canada get? I must admit I'm not confident on the sound for here or R1 in general, but we will likely still get the documentary.

Edit: Hmmm, after reading around some more just now, now I'm not even so sure about the documentary being included...and this disc is priced somewhat above normal already, another small insult added to the probable minimal presentation we'll get. At one time I thought the postponement of this release may have been partially to get the content up to the snuff of other regions, besides for the additional theatrical run. I will have had this disc on pre-order for over 6 months by the time it's released here, and I'm strongly suspecting I should have gone with an R2 version long ago, and since things aren't looking good I should just do it now anyway. There are people who have had the R1 release for about 2 months and I should find out what they said about it, if anything...

Edit of edit: The R1 was reported by somebody who has it to have the documentary...I forgot that. I don't know why I'm so hung up on this film, too much anticipation. The 9 screen movieplex at the end of my street that *might* have shown this had been shut down [​IMG]

11. Robert Holloway

Robert Holloway Stunt Coordinator

Craig

It's a magnificent movie. I saw it in January 2003 and it still sticks with me as one of the best 3 films I saw last year.

The editing, photography and raw power are all unmatached in the last 12 months. how it failed to win the best editing Oscar is quite beyond me. Actually I totally understand that the average Academy voter knows little about cinema.

It's also very hard to watch in some sequences.

Rob

12. Marc Colella

Thanks Craig.

As you noted afterwards, the R1 DVD does in fact have the documentary.

Some stores in the US accidentally sold the DVD, so a few slipped out to customers. I was lucky enough to find someone who was willing to pick the DVD up for me.

I've viewed it a few times and the picture quality is excellent, and the DD track is very nice as well.
    The documentary is interesting.

Miramax managed to not screw this disc up.

13. Marc Colella

Agreed.

Even though the Academy surprised many by giving the film 4 Oscar nominations, and that's with Miramax not pushing the film... I still think it got robbed.

A Best Picture nomination should have been given. It was easily the best film of 2003.

As you stated, it had the Best Editing and I also giving Master & Commander Best Cinematography was a joke - as the Academy still has no idea what makes great cinematography... or much else actually.