What's new

Is chroma bug noticeable on high scan tube tv's less than 36"??? (1 Viewer)

Dan_R_M

Stunt Coordinator
The "boss" won't let me get anything other than tube tv...I am looking at getting a sony wega xbr 34" wide or 36" square tv. However I am starting off with getting a DVD player first. Do I need to worry about the chroma bug in a DVD player with these TV sizes? Thanks!

-Dan

Tom Lee

Agent
Depends, I have a 36" XBR and with the Sony 900V (slight case of chroma bug) i see nothing. I will have a new Pioneer 45A within the next week (this player is known have a major case of it) and let you know if it does or not.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I've had Pioneer (414, 333, 05, 45a, now 47ai) player's for 4 years, with 32" analog NTSC tube TV (a Panasonic SuperFlat), and I've never noticed it either.

Is the chroma bug apparent at all on std analog TVs? Or just units where you can use the progressive scan feature?

Ryan Patterson

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, the chroma bug (in its 2 known forms) is visible on direct view TVs.
I went to the Sony Store the other day to check out the DVP-NS755V. It was hooked up to a 36" XBR and we used Toy Story and Tron to check out the video quality. I'm sorry to say that the DVD player has the chroma bug, and it is clear as day on the 36" direct view screen.
I currently have a 27" Sony and can easily see the 'Interlaced Chroma Problem'(ICP) detailed Link Removed that's caused by my Shaw Digital Cable Terminal. This isn't the only place where I've seen Chroma error(s) though; I briefly owned a Sigma Hollywood Plus DVD decoder card that I hooked up to my 27" TV and the Chroma problem was very apparent. Ironically my older Creative Dxr2 card showed no signs of the Chroma error. The Sony interlaced DVD players do not have the Chroma problem either, which is nice if you're looking for a Sony but don't need a progressive model. I'm not sure how the Interlaced Chroma Problem (ICP) works with different interlaced chips (and why the Sigma card is the only one that caused me problems), but the problem is present in both progressive and interlaced models. I would recommend checking a DVD player before you buy, no matter if it's interlaced or progressive.
Regards,
Ryan

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I will have a new Pioneer 45A within the next week (this player is known have a major case of it) and let you know if it does or not.
I question this.

Although I have read that the player is "known to have a major case of this", I challenge anyone to post legitimate screen shots of the player's output exhibiting the problem. Note: I would offer to post shots that show that it does NOT exist, but I don't think I know how to do that!

As you can guess, I have this player. Connected to my Pioneer 533 WS display (via component outputs and using the player in progressive mode) these flaws from Toy Story and The 5th Element (as shown on the Secrets site) do NOT exist.

Perhaps a different display would show these flaws, but NOT on my set (properly calibrated with Avia, but not ISF'd).

When viewing a good quality transfer (Monsters or perhaps Titan AE), the picture is stunning.

Perhaps there are better players out there (I know that John Kotches has described the Pioneer deinterlacer as weak in comparison to Faroudja and and others), but this one will NOT disappoint you. I have no reason to doubt that, other than to say that the 45A will throw up a gorgeous picture with a properly calibrated display.

And if you were to have a 4:3 set without a 16:9 mode, the player has outstanding in-player letter boxing.

Trust your eyes.

Methinks that as far as the 45A is concerned, this is an urban legend.

BL

Ryan Patterson

Stunt Coordinator
One more thing Dan,
Be careful when choosing between a 34" 16:9 and a 36" 4:3 set. The 16:9 is significantly more expensive, and unless you plan to watch 95% widescreen material, it may not be worth your money. You should check out this link for more information about the two sets. If you essentially want a 36" picture with the sides extended for widescreen material, I would highly recommend getting the 46" 16:9 set as it has about the same picture height as the 36" 4:3. If your 'head honcho' won't allow it, then I would recommend sticking with the 36" 4:3.
Cheers,
Ryan

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I have seen comments, that the chroma bug can be more or less apparent on a set depending on how it's calibrated too.
I think I'm going to be an ostrich and put my head in the sand: I've never seen it on all the Pioneer's I've had, but then again, I've never really gone actively looking for it either. (I have proerly calibated my set with Avia though too.)
MPEG 2 compression artifacts: I see those, and that pisses me off, but *every*player does that even though my $100 VCR doesn't. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread