What's new

Is "Catain Ron" worth a blind buy? (1 Viewer)

Chris Joyner

Stunt Coordinator
I saw "Captain Ron" on sale for $6.99 at Wal-Mart today. I've never seen it before, but I like Kurt Russell? Should I pick this DVD up?

Haden

Supporting Actor
Nah, the movie is pretty stupid and unfunny (like most other Martin Short films.) Kurt Russell saves it with a few memorable moments, but overall the film isn't worth seeing more than once. Also it's funny how Kurt looks exactly like Snake Plissken on a tropical vacation :)

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
No, for the love of God. Save your $6.99 to put towards a good movie. :D

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Are you in Canada? If not, be advised that this movie is $5.88 at most US Wal-Marts. Unliek the previous two posters, I thought this movie was hilarious. If you liek movies about a guy who can't stand another guy who everyone else loves, thsi is right up your alley.

Tim_Prasuhn

Stunt Coordinator
i love the movie too. its got a great silly energy to it. Not great filmmaking, to be sure, but damn fun. For 6, buy it.

John Mansor

Stunt Coordinator
If you are a "What About Bob?" fan, then I would pick this up! I thought the movie was a hilarious.

Gary W. Graley

Second Unit
The one liners from Kurt are worth it, I recommend the movie if you like Kurt at all, comedic value for me was high, always cheers me up to see this and at that price...hard to not get!

G2

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Do you really need to ask? It's $6 or $7, slightly more than a rental. IF you don't like it, sell it or trade it...you do like it, you keep it for as long as you'd like.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
"I don't believe that I've ever been to Disney World. Been to Dollywood."

I happen to love CAPTAIN RON! It ain't no ANNIE HALL, hell it isn't even CADDYSHACK, but Kurt is perfect as Capt. Ron.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Yep, one of his best. As for the rest of you that like it too, before you pop it in next time remember his role in 'Stargate'! He is even funnier.

Glenn

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Kurt Russell hasn't played this fast and loose since Used Cars. I love Captain Ron! Some absolutely riotous stuff in there...

BTW, Touchstone please feel free to use my first line as a marketing blurb :)

Simon_Lepine

Supporting Actor
Havent't seen it, but on the Big Trouble in Little China DVD commentary with Carpenter and Russel, Carpenter states that Captain Ron is Kurt's best role so it must be good ;)

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
Kurt also said the only reason he did Captain Ron was because it was a role he knew he normally wouldn't get.

Anyway, Captain Ron is far from a good film, but, as others have mentioned, Kurt Russell is really funny in it.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
As others have said, if you have to ask about blind buying a $5.88 DVD then perhaps you need to save your money and put it toward more important matters.

Most places, you pay more than that for a single theater ticket. And aren't all theater tickets "blind" buys? :wink:

richardWI

Second Unit
yeah pick it up! Of course I may have to go to Wal Mart and beat you to it! just kidding. That movie and "What about Bob?" are just fun dorky movies.. they never aspire to be anything more than that and that's why they are good.

movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash we might as well not attend the cinema.
-Pauline Kael

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks