Is "Catain Ron" worth a blind buy?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Chris Joyner, Jul 20, 2003.

1. Chris Joyner

Chris Joyner Stunt Coordinator

I saw "Captain Ron" on sale for $6.99 at Wal-Mart today. I've never seen it before, but I like Kurt Russell? Should I pick this DVD up?

2. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

Nah, the movie is pretty stupid and unfunny (like most other Martin Short films.) Kurt Russell saves it with a few memorable moments, but overall the film isn't worth seeing more than once. Also it's funny how Kurt looks exactly like Snake Plissken on a tropical vacation [​IMG]

3. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

No, for the love of God. Save your $6.99 to put towards a good movie. [​IMG]

4. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Are you in Canada? If not, be advised that this movie is $5.88 at most US Wal-Marts. Unliek the previous two posters, I thought this movie was hilarious. If you liek movies about a guy who can't stand another guy who everyone else loves, thsi is right up your alley.

5. Tim_Prasuhn

Tim_Prasuhn Stunt Coordinator

i love the movie too. its got a great silly energy to it. Not great filmmaking, to be sure, but damn fun. For 6, buy it.

6. John Mansor

John Mansor Stunt Coordinator

If you are a "What About Bob?" fan, then I would pick this up! I thought the movie was a hilarious.

7. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley Second Unit

The one liners from Kurt are worth it, I recommend the movie if you like Kurt at all, comedic value for me was high, always cheers me up to see this and at that price...hard to not get!

G2

8. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

Personally, I like the film a lot....Kurt Russell is great in it. It appeals to my sense of fun and adventure...I wish I could drop everything and sail the Caribbean like that....don't think my boss would appreciate it though.[​IMG] For that price, it's not that much more than it would cost as a rental....go ahead.

9. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

Do you really need to ask? It's $6 or $7, slightly more than a rental. IF you don't like it, sell it or trade it...you do like it, you keep it for as long as you'd like.

10. wally

wally Second Unit

For $6.99? Pick it up swab!

11. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

"I don't believe that I've ever been to Disney World. Been to Dollywood."

I happen to love CAPTAIN RON! It ain't no ANNIE HALL, hell it isn't even CADDYSHACK, but Kurt is perfect as Capt. Ron.

12. Justin Hargis

Justin Hargis Stunt Coordinator

How's the video look? Is it anamorphic?

13. Patrick Soucy

Patrick Soucy Second Unit

[​IMG]

Anamorphic, yes!

Well, I think I'll purchase this DVD TOO' the movie is very funny!

14. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Yep, one of his best. As for the rest of you that like it too, before you pop it in next time remember his role in 'Stargate'! He is even funnier.

Glenn

15. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Kurt Russell hasn't played this fast and loose since Used Cars. I love Captain Ron! Some absolutely riotous stuff in there...

BTW, Touchstone please feel free to use my first line as a marketing blurb [​IMG]

16. Simon_Lepine

Simon_Lepine Supporting Actor

Havent't seen it, but on the Big Trouble in Little China DVD commentary with Carpenter and Russel, Carpenter states that Captain Ron is Kurt's best role so it must be good [​IMG]

17. Magnus T

Magnus T Supporting Actor

Kurt also said the only reason he did Captain Ron was because it was a role he knew he normally wouldn't get.

Anyway, Captain Ron is far from a good film, but, as others have mentioned, Kurt Russell is really funny in it.

18. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    As others have said, if you have to ask about blind buying a $5.88 DVD then perhaps you need to save your money and put it toward more important matters.

Most places, you pay more than that for a single theater ticket. And aren't all theater tickets "blind" buys? :wink:

19. richardWI

richardWI Second Unit

yeah pick it up! Of course I may have to go to Wal Mart and beat you to it! just kidding. That movie and "What about Bob?" are just fun dorky movies.. they never aspire to be anything more than that and that's why they are good.

20. Josh Sieg

Josh Sieg Second Unit

I liked this movie. I saw it years ago, in P&S, but I would say for 6.99 or 5.88, it's worth it.