Is Capcom turning into the new Acclaim ?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by JamesH, Oct 20, 2003.

1. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

Just look at what they've put out lately:

Auto Modellista

Several low-resolution 2D fighters that are embarassments compared to Guilty Gear

$40 ports of Resident Evil 2 and 3 with no real enhancements

P.N. 03

Chaos Legion

Devil May Cry 2

Dino Stalker

Mega Man X5, X6 and X7

Crappy resident evil lightgun games

They have had some good games in Viewtiful Joe, Steel Battalion, and Onimusha 2 (and possibly the new RE games, depending on who you talk to). However, this kind of good/bad ratio is embarassing for someone who used to be top dog.

I really don't understand the resource allocation decisions they make. Mega Man is one of their oldest, best, and most respected franchises, and yet they are trying their best to kill it by making each game more wretched than the last. Now I love the gameplay in Viewtiful Joe, but the characters/story/art design are weak and will never catch on with the masses. It just seems like it would have been a better idea to not waste all of VJ's gameplay ingenuity on a new/weak franchise and instead bring back Mega Man with a vengeance. The time mechanic would have worked great with spikes, dissappearing block puzzles, moving platforms, etc. Zero's game could have left the beatemup element intact.

And yes, for those who are wondering, I just bought Mega Man X7 and I'm very bitter.

2. DeanWalsh

DeanWalsh Second Unit

You have some valid points, but I thought the art design was actually a highlight of Viewtiful Joe. Not very mainstream I know, but I think that's why I like it, it's overall quirkiness.

3. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I plan on getting MMX7, but I'm kind of a die-hard MMX fan.

I think Capcom still has it in them to make some great games. They've got a lot of great games in the wings and they are very capable of making something great. I think the main problem is that they realized at one point that they were top-dog and decided to spread themselves thin by accident. That's why they cancelled 80+ games earlier this year.

4. Philip_S

Philip_S Stunt Coordinator

Guilty Gear is by far, nicer looking than the past few Capcom fighters, but those same Capcom games play way better than Sammy's game. And aren't Capcom & Sammy doing a crossover game, a la Capcom Vs. SNK? Using Sammy's graphic engine? That'll be a pretty game.

The much-ballyhoed Capcom 5, or is that 4 now, seem to be disappointments. Viewtiful Joe is great but I never thought it would sell in huge numbers. PN03: OK, but monotonous and a critical & sales bomb. Killer 7: is it a FPS or lightgun game now? Looks interesting, but it won't sell. Dead Pheonix: dead.

And they do continue to obnoxiously hawk Street Fighter II to death, even though it's been 10 years of the same game. That said, I've got my pre-order for the LE Hyper SFII PlayStation2 game coming in December.

5. BrianB

BrianB Producer

"F*CK Capcom", eh James?

6. Romier S

Romier S Producer

7. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

8. Romier S

Romier S Producer

9. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

10. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Hey, Capcom announced the Mega Man anthology, which makes them OK with me for a while at least. I really do think that they dropped the ball on the RE ports though-if they're not improved at all, then at least price them lower.

11. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

12. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with the Resident Evil Online game. It sounds like it could be pretty interesting.

-Dave

13. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

What companies do is this:

1. Take established game series (say, Resident Evil)
    2. Make a few good/great games (1, 2, 3, C:V)
    3. Milk those games (spinoffs, ports, etc.)
    4. Use extremely high profits to create unique games (Viewtiful Joe)

This process is what leads to some great new games coming from nowhere (VJ and Devil May Cry are two example of games that just came out of nowhere, though DMC sold much better). The game companies need to balance making game in established series with making new games that do something unique. Capcom, unfortunately, has been mixing the two ideas (Dino Crisis 3) or has been making too much of one than the other (the GameCube 54, Chaos Legion, etc.).

14. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Viewtiful Joe is the bomb. Capcom rules.

15. Philip_S

Philip_S Stunt Coordinator

I've heard different news on whether Hyper SFII is coming to the US or not. If it does, it will probably be sans the bonus DVD/mousepad/whatever else they're throwing in there

16. chris_clem

chris_clem Second Unit

With all due respect to the Mega Man faithful, half a dozen cookie cutter Mega Man games are a small price to pay for a truly unique and ground-breaking game like Viewtiful Joe. Capcom is in a position to take large risks that may or may not pay off due to their "mainstream titles". While it is a shame that these once great franchises are now suffering from a lack of quality, it speaks volumes about the video game community that a churned out Mega Man game may sell more than games such as V.J. solely on name recognition.

The fact is they will continue to milk franchises dry until people stop buying them, and only then will they start re-thinking their formula. In the end, we can stop them from making crap by not tolerating it...at least they still do make games that are innovative and fresh.

17. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

To be honest, I don't mind a relatively run-of-the-mill MegaMan game, so long as it's not badly designed and lacks any creativity whatsoever. Sure, X5, X6, and X7 aren't the best, but they each tried something new and, for me, provided a few genuine hours of entertainment.

Then again, I've played X1-4 multiple times each.

18. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

You sound like someone who hasn't played X7, as Capcom has absolutely KILLED the series. X5 and X6 were incredibly uninspired, but they still left the series intact. X7 is an absolute disaster. They actually took out the empty hallway before each boss. The boss fights are crap 3-D and devoid of any challenge at all. Plus, the bosses are the stupidest combinations of animals with random objects that anyone could possibly concieve, AND they constantly repeat annoying one-liners during the fights. Dr. Wily is likely rolling over in his grave. The only parts of the game that are halfway passable are the 2D sections, but the characters are less responsive than in past games and the level design is generic. Although the translation is adequate, the voice acting is bad in an "all your base" type way. I think Tails from Sonic Adventure does the voice for Axl, and he's actually one of the BETTER voice actors in the game.

This game did not need to be awful. I would have WELCOMED a cookie cutter game, preferably of X1,X2, or X4 quality. Capcom's resource allocation is stupid. Viewtiful Joe's gameplay elements would have translated beautifully to a Megaman game, especially when playing as Zero. The gaining of new powers would have correllated perfectly, and VJ's gameplay would have been even better under the intro>>>8 non-linear levels with super-hard bosses>>>endgame formula. In fact, combined with the one decent new element added to X7, on-the-fly character swapping, it would have been even better.

The story writes itself. New scientist makes time speedup and slowdown devices to help assist in reconstruction after the reploid wars. Everything is fine for a while, until something goes horribly wrong. X, you must retrieve the time manipulation devices from the 8 robot masters!!!!

There was absolutely no reason to kill their third biggest series for a scruffy kid who turns into a generic red superhero. X7 should have used the new gameplay ideas that went into VJ to reinvent the series.

19. Romier S

Romier S Producer

20. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor