1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Is Capcom making games for the XBox? Please help me choose between the Big 3...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Carlo Medina, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Well, I just got my tax return and am looking at the new systems.

Yes, I know it's about the games, but the truth is that most games I like (EA Sports, All star Baseball, Capcom fighting games) are cross-platform, so now it comes down to hardware.

Oh, and I have a 16x9 HDTV so I would like a machine that has growing 16x9 support (I hate gray bars and don't want burn-in).

I also hate memory cards, as they suck up $$$ to buy and sometimes fail (my PS1 did, both the knock-offs and the Sony ones). So that's a mark for the XBox (with its HD).

Of course, I don't find that Capcom fighting games (specifically Capcom vs. SNK 2) that are currently on the PS2 and coming out for the Cube. So is Capcom not making games for the XBox? That would be a big strike against the XBox.

Oh and the prog. cables are most readily available for the PS2 and XB, from what I can tell you have to order the Cube ones from Nintendo.

Broadband access is not necessary for me, I don't do online gaming and have a PC. DVD playback also is not necessary as I have a dedicated HT.

Any advice?

2. Andrew Grall

Andrew Grall Supporting Actor

3. Romier S

Romier S Producer

4. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

Carlo:
    I got an XBox and Halo a few weeks ago, and have been really enjoying it so far. I've got a couple of XBox demo discs and NFL Fever, but have only really been playing Halo.
    Two of the things which have really impressed me on the XBox so far have been the in-game Dolby Digital 5.1 sound and the hard drive. After having to deal with memory cards for the past (nearly) five years, its great to have everything saved to the hard drive (of course, the downside to having the hard drive is the "what if it gets corrupt?" question). Other than that, I love not having to mess with memory cards on it--this is especially nice when you look at all of the PS2 owners who are having such a hard time (and have had since Christmas) finding the official Sony-brand PS2 memory cards.
    That's really the only thing that I can mention to you--I don't have a 16x9 TV, and I'm not interested in fighting games, either.
    I will say that I now own all three of the main systems now, and I'm totally unbiased when it comes to them. I don't care what system I'm playing, as long as the game is fun/good. I've been playing the hell out of the XBox and Halo over the past few weeks, because I just got them.
    But before that, I'll tell you that I usually played my PS2 much, much more than I played my GameCube. I played the Cube for about three weeks after it came out, and its been collecting dust since then. I really like the system, I like the controller, but, just like you'll hear from every Cube owner, I'm waiting on the big (first-party) games to come out later this year. Resident Evil (not first-party, I know), Eternal Darkness, Star Fox Adventures, Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime, and Zelda are all (supposedly) coming out this year, and they'll be great, I'm sure, but other than that, there's just not a whole lot to do on it (of course, I just bought an XBox for Halo alone--I have no idea what game I'll be buying next for it, and don't have any planned for now). [​IMG]
    One other thing--I know you love the All Star Baseball 200X series--keep in mind, that with the Cube, I think playing through one season takes up 250 blocks on the NGC memory card. The official NGC memory card only holds 59 blocks, so you're looking at five of their memory cards to handle one season in ASB2003. [​IMG] Interact has a 1000+ NGC memory card out that they've just released, which would handle the ASB series just fine, I'm guessing, but there's no way I would ever put a third-party memory card in my system.
    That also reminds me, with several of the EA Sports games I've played on the PS2, when I do any kind of Franchise/Dynasty mode, that eats up a lot of the Sony 8MB memory card (I think I've got one whole card that's full of NCAA Football 2002 stuff alone). Obviously, if you're playing a lot of EA games, with the (recent) scarceness and the relative expense ($34.99) of the PS2 card, this might be a concern to you.
    I would probably recommend either the PS2 or the XBox to you. I don't follow the 16x9/progressive scan issues all that much, but I'm under the impression that XBox is a little better in this area than the PS2 (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). With that, it would depend on how important the Capcom fighting games are to you, and obviously, the PS2 wins in that category. And then, of course, the PS2 library dwarfs the others right now, and will for a while (and always will, if you throw in all of the original PlayStation games you can play on the PS2).
    A small thing to consider, not that big of a deal: Keep in mind that the XBox and the Cube have four controller ports each, while the PS2 only has two. So if you're going to have a few of your buddies over to play, there's nothing extra you have to buy with the first two (save the controllers), but you've got to buy the PS2 Multi-Tap in order to play with more than two people on the PS2.
    Hope this helps you somewhat, and sorry this was so long-winded. :b I don't have anything else to do. [​IMG]
    -mwb-

5. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I'd recommend the PS2 just on games alone. I have a stack of games sitting next to my PS2 just waiting for me. For the record I have a Gamecube but not an X-Box. With the the news Toejam and Earl may be coming to the X-Box that might change though.

-Andre F

6. Carlo Medina

Thanks for the input so far.
    Hmm, so Capcom is signed on for XBox but just haven't put out any of their trademark fighting games. Odd, but I guess that's the case.
    The EA Sports games do suck up a lot of memory, and that works in favor of XBox, it would seem.
    As I said before, I'm not a huge gamer, which is why I want to buy one system only. The games I do like are crossplatform except that I couldn't find the Capcom fighters on XBox (otherwise that would have been the one for me hands down). But now I hear they are signed on. I guess it's just a matter of time.
    I do have a PC that's a decent gaming rig. I may just buy the current crop of EA stuff on it and play the waiting game, let my money sit in the bank until Capcom figures out if it wants to put out fighters on XBox.
    I just want to game on my HD, though. A 19" monitor just isn't cutting it for multiplayer games (although I'll waste a few weeks playing Madden vs. the PC [​IMG] )

7. Romier S

Romier S Producer

8. Demetri K

Demetri K Stunt Coordinator

I believe that the Xbox is getting the Dino crisis francise. Gamecube is getting The Resident Evil( except RE Online for ps2). And the PS2 is getting the Devil May Cry francise. Those are not final though except the RE. So pretty much everything is up in the air. As far as the Xbox having better graphics. It all comes down to the games!!! All 3 systems have great games!!!!! It is all gonna come down to who has more of them. That is gonna make or break any of these 3 systems!!

9. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

Carlo,

If you dig fighters, then Dead or Alive for the XBox will tax you HT rig proper. (16x9, 5.1 DD and progressive playback standard.)

Since you're into sports titles, you won't find that genre lacking in the Boxes line-up, either.

PS2 will allow you to play the Capcom fighters right now, but I doubt the SFs, etc will stay absent from the XBox roster for long - Capcom ports those titles to anything with a controller.

The only other hitch would be deciding between a GameCube as well. However, I know your gonna want to utilize you HT the right way and Nintendo's low-tech approach to 480p (here and there support), 16x9 formatting (here and there as well, though the XBox could use more titles in this regard as well) and DD sound (omitted for some damn reason), might be going in the wrong direction that I'm sure you're looking to go.

If you have an HT (like I know you do), you owe it to yourself to put it to work... Get a Box.

10. Eric Nees

Eric Nees Agent

If you can resist, I'd hold off until after E3, which is six weeks away. At that time, developers/publishers announce what they have on tap for the next year or so. The picture with Capcom and Xbox should be made much clearer. Plus, there may be price drops announced for two or even all three of the consoles.
    One last thing to consider about the Xbox, not to cry wolf, but if it keeps on selling as it has been in Japan, I don't know how long Microsoft can count on Japanese developers (including Capcom) supporting the Box.
    PS- The Cube will be getting a much larger official memory card the last week of June. So you'll only eat one card up with a season of Madden or whatever. [​IMG]

11. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

The PS2 is getting wider support of 16x9 and has the Capcom fighting games on it (I assume more to come). The X-Box pretty much has HALO as the only game that everyone I know likes, and while it has really good graphics, the quality games are few and far between (for the moment).

I would say get the PS2. It can do DTS real-time and progressive scan (though only 3 games total use either feature) and has a HUGE library of games (in comparison to the GCN and XB).

12. Carlo Medina

Perhaps holding off until E3 is best for now, as Eric suggested.
    I'm not big into Fighting games, I'm big into the Capcom fighting games. There's just something about that engine that I really like, so DOA on any platform isn't a selling point for me.
    Ideally what I want right now is the XBox w/ Capcom fighters - which I can NOT have. Hopefully at E3 Capcom will announce any of their fighting line for XBox.
    Otherwise I'll have to keep my options for PS2 open - is there an online resource where I can find out what 16x9 enhanced games are out / coming out for the systems? Never mind, just saw that thread in the software forum. [​IMG]
    Thanks again.

13. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

14. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

15. Carlo Medina

Calvin, some sets use gray bars, some use black bars. But the bottom line is that prolonged static images (like gray and black bars) can cause burn in. Now I have my set ISF calibrated which means that burn in is less likely. Or I could stretch the video game (or any 4:3 image) to fit the screen, but then everything looks a little...stretched (couldn't think of a better descriptor).
    It doesn't bother me in TV watching because, quite honestly, most people on TV are too thin anyway and this just makes them look normal. [​IMG]

16. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Capcom announced Capcom vs. SNK 2 EO for GameCube recently. Sorry, but I didn't get the link (its at GameSpot).

17. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

18. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I'm not saying to buy a GameCube or anything, I'm just pointing out that Capcom has announced Street Fighter games for the PS2 and GCN, but not the X-Box. Capcom vs. SNK 2 is already on PS2.

I was going to say something in my defense, but seeing as how anti-X-Box statements are taboo (but of course, not anti-PS2 or anti-GCN), I decided not to.

19. Romier S

Romier S Producer

20. Carlo Medina

It's cool Morgan. I too was kind of surprised when I saw it, and that definitely is a feather in the cap of the Cube for me. But the uncool thing is the mem card situation (which I explained that I detest) and the relatively weak 16x9 support. I think I'm going to hold off until E3 and see what Capcom's support of XBox is going to be.
    Damn, looking at that 16x9 thread in software...looks like I should have gotten a Dreamcast!!! [​IMG]