What's new

Is buying a decent digital coaxial interconnect worth it? (1 Viewer)

Dave_Whiting

Stunt Coordinator
Is upgrading from the cheapest, about $10 usa coaxial interconnect, to a cheap decent ($30 usa) one worth it?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
The coaxial digital cable needs to be made with something called 75 ohm coax. And hopefully, the RCA plugs are somewhere near this.

All video cables are made with 75 ohm coax.

As long as the budget cable works, is well made without loose plugs, and you dont get drop-outs in the sound every few minutes, it's not worth changing.

Dave_Whiting

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know if the current cable is a 75 ohm coaxial. It just says high quality audio cable. Is there any way to tell. What happens if you use a analogue rca cable.

Thanks

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
yes, it's a 75 ohm, probably multistranded as i take it the cable is probably quite flexible, no?

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
I just head to Best Buy or whatnot find a nice good quality RCA video cable with good ends (AR Research is what I've been getting) cost is $10-$15 and it works great.

Some guy did a test and found using a metal coat hanger would work quite well (though it lacks shielding)

the digital signal is fairly robust, and you're already using cableing way way over what high speed computer networks use.

Analog Video conectors are another story ;-)

Brian

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I concur...stick with a nicely shielded video cable (the kind with yellow RCA connectors) and you'll get all the digital sound that any of those expensive boutique cables would for a fraction of the cost.

Enjoy!

Alfer

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Since this thread is on the topic of digital coax cable, I was wondering can I use two of these as analog interconnects??

Paul_C

Stunt Coordinator
Yup;

You can use digital IC's for analog but not recommended the other way around. The reason is that analog IC's do not typically use 75 ohm cable.

Good luck.

Paul.

BruceD

Screenwriter
Dave,

The key is to buy "AV" or "Video" labeled cable to use for a digital cable.

"Video" or "AV" cable is 75 ohm cable, many audio interconnect cables are 50 ohm.

IF the package labeling says "Video" or "AV" cable then you should be fine.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
i reckon its a 75 ohm multistranded cable probably 20 or 22 gauge copper. i reckon :)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
no that won't do it, in fact there's no ready method available for the homeowner to determine this. You see, this 75 ohm is what's called the characteristic impedence and it's independent of length. a 3 foot and a 1000 foot roll will both have a characteristic impedence of 75 ohms (since this is what we're talking about here). Perhaps you're thinking of resistance which could be measured by a VOM. Now if this is going to gnaw at you, go out and pick up some AR Pros or whatever floats your boat.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks