Is burn in still a problem on newer Plasmas?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Halen, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Halen

Halen Stunt Coordinator

I'm seriously considering purchasing an Flat Panel TV. I've read in certain areas people saying that burn in on newer Plasmas was no longer a problem. I play a ton of video games and will likely use the TV for some computer use as well. I was just wondering if this statement was true, or should I only consider LCDs instead?

Thanks.

Oh, any recomendations would be appreciated.
    Price range will be $1,200 to $2,000.
    LCD will be around 26"
    Plasma will be about 32" (I think that's the smalles plasma)
    It'll be for my bedroom.

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The selling point of the newest plasmas at CES (mainstream) was that they burned in at the same rate as CRT's now. Unlike the previous ones that burned in way way faster than crt's.

If you are not careful, you will still burn it in ...

regards

3. Halen

Halen Stunt Coordinator

Thank you for your answer Michael. On occations I play for 2 to 3 hours at a time. I imagine this would be plenty of time for "burn in" to take shape. Though it is not often that I play for this extent I'd rather not risk it. I'll just stick to LCD's.

4. Brian_cyberbri

Brian_cyberbri Stunt Coordinator

If you have the same thing on the screen for a long period of time, there is risk for burn-in. But if you are going in and out of menus, watching cutscenes, etc., your chances for burn-in are much less. You just wouldn't want to use a plasma as a computer monitor, with the task bar showing, for more than an hour or two without switching inputs, etc.

BTW, at the top end of your price range, you can get one of the best ED plasmas around, a Panasonic. Some online places have it around $2000-2200, although you may need to spend a little extra for mounting hardware or a stand, connectors, etc.

5. Halen

Halen Stunt Coordinator

Thanks. I've been reading a TON about the Panasonic EDTV's. They sound like a perfect fit for me. All I'll be watching on this TV is DVD's, Video Games, and standard cable (straight from the COAX cable running from my wall). After thinking about it further, I'll just use my laptop for PC stuff. For my games and DVD I'll use component inputs. So, could I be able to stuff a componenet input card and a card for straight cable in a 37" Panasonic (TH-37pwd7uy)?

Thanks guys...I'm going to check out some screens right now!

6. Brian_cyberbri

Brian_cyberbri Stunt Coordinator

About the input cards - I think there are two types of models, consumer and commercial. I think the consumer one has stuff built in, but the commercial models require upgrades for specific boards for certain input types.

Do your research, figure out how much it will cost for the TV AND for the hardware and accessories, etc. And make sure you do your research on the actual model itself. There are certain cheaper plasma models that perform very, very well, but most of them are junk or not worth your time. You should be all right with a Panny, but just check that you're getting the best model for that size, price etc.

Good luck!

BTW, before you know it you'll be jonesin' for HD. Make sure you have a DVI or extra component input so you can hook up an HD cable box. We get our HD DVR from Comcast for $10 a month extra, which is only $5 more than the regular HD box costs to rent.

7. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

The commercial models are going to require you purchase a tuner (as well as any other inputs you might want) if you intend to run cable straight in from the wall...sans STB. By the time you add the cards (called blades by Panasonic) and mounting hardware (and sound?) you may end up getting a better total package price on a consumer display.

I think I read that Panasonic was going to discontinue the 37" display soon, so that might be a consideration too.

Mort