What's new

Is Buena Vista purposely leaving out Soundtrack information on DVD's? (1 Viewer)

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
This is extremely annoying and misleading to consumers. It seems that for a long time, Buena Vista has been supplying incorrect information to retailers regarding their foreign DVD releases.
The biggest problem is that they list the original soundtrack in the details they give and then release an English only DVD. This is a bait and switch tactic. I could understand if it happens once in a while but this has been happening consistantly for years. In fact, the one Asian movie they released with the original soundtrack, was listed as English only in some places (CHUNGKING EXPRESS).
This happened with CITY ON FIRE (Chow Yun Fat) and the most recent, SWORDMAN 2 (Jet Li) and the MASTER (Jet Li).
The DVD covers also only list English, if the language is listed at all.

This would be like ordering a DVD that promised a DTS track only to find out it didn't really have one. Buena Vista is doing the same with foreign language DVD's.

I realize that these listings are subject to error but this is way too common.

I hope nobody minds I posted this here instead of the Manufacturer feedback forum. This is more of an educational post since I know Buena Vista will not change anything do to my post or the posts on a forum. They have their own agenda when releasing these movies.
Matt

*edited for clarity

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I thought that Disney *did* have a few DVDs with DTS on the cover wtih no DTS to be found on the disc (Dick Tracy?).

Guess they just have some problems with their packaging/cover-design department!

-dave

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
As for Dick Tracy, WSR reviewed the disc and it did have a DTS track.

For foreign films, I will not buy the disc unless the original language track is available (with quality English subtitles as an option).

Shame Disney, shame!

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread