Is Brian DePalma's 'FEMME FATALE' worth buying as a blind purchase?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by James Costin, Mar 9, 2003.

1. James Costin

James Costin Agent

I've enjoyed some of DePalma's previous films and would like other members opinions on whether it is worth buying as a blind purchase.

But please no spoilers even relatively minor ones.

2. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Absolutely NOT as a blind purchase. I think Femme Fatale is DePalma's best film since Carlito's Way and easily one of the best films of last year and alongside Chicago, certainly the most "fun". But ..... having said that, it's pretty much a love it or hate it kind of movie. It seems to have polarized both audiences and critics so I suggest you rent it first to see if it's for you. Frankly, I don't think a lot of the audience or critics "got it".

3. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

As a blind purchase it's pretty risky. I thought the beginning was brilliant, some of the best filmmaking of last year, and I liked the ending quite a bit too. Less enthralled with some of the stuff between.

4. JiM T

JiM T Stunt Coordinator

If you're a DePalma fan desparate for a new movie, then chances are you'll "get it", although there are plenty of people who didn't get it, and hate the movie (most reviewers, for instance). Definitely see the film, buy it if you get a good deal somewhere, otherwise, I agree with the other posters, in that you may want to rent it first. I saw it in the theater, and A DePalma fan, and am looking forward to buying this title.

JiM T

5. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Related note: Body Double is turning up in Best Buy's overstock "$8" bin, and I was wondering if there's any plans for a better quality issue of this one. As I recall this is one of the earliest DVDs, and looks and sounds like it.

6. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    Tough call. I think it was the best film of last year, but like any DePalma film, this one really splits people down into the "love it" or "hate it" categories. That being said, I can't wait to watch this one again and again.

Neil

7. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    I haven't seen it yet (the film doesn't even have a German cinema release date!), but for me there was never a second of a doubt that I'd get this as soon as it hits DVD. It's Brian after all! The fact that Roger Ebert gave it 4 stars out of 4 also helped immensely. [​IMG]

So far I never regretted a single DePalma purchase because even if the movie was flawed DePalma's style always was so interesting visually that I got something out of it.

I can't wait to see Femme Fatale!

Chris

8. Mark Palermo

Mark Palermo Second Unit

9. Simon_Lepine

Simon_Lepine Supporting Actor

Well I usually like DePalma a lot, I've seen all his movies, but I absolutely loathed Femme Fatale. I've seen some interpretations of the movie, but I'm still curious as to what there is 'to get'.

10. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Thanks Mark, I'll wait for it!

11. Brent Bridgeman

Brent Bridgeman Second Unit

Brent Bridgeman
    I would definitely give it a rental first. My wife and I really liked it, but as has been stated, many people just despised this movie. I just looked on Rotten Tomatoes, and it is at 46%, a bit higher than I thought it would be considering some of the reviews I read when it was released.

12. Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y Screenwriter

I'm gonna purchase this one without seein it... DePalma rarely dissappoints me...I even dug Mission to Mars...

13. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

I just want to know how much nudity there is. [​IMG]

14. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    For me, Femme Fatale is kind of the ultimate DePalma film, combining all that is wonderful (and awful) about his films. And I loved every second of it. It's sort of like Videodrome is for David Cronenberg: it sums up all of the themes he had been exploring in his films up until that time, casts them in a new light, and ultimately transcends the previous limits of that material. Since he goes so far with the material, however, it does seem to be one of those love it or hate it affairs that is likely to have little middle-of-the-road reaction to it.

DJ

15. Vincent Matis

Vincent Matis Second Unit

I really hated the movie... One of 2002 worst movies IMHO...
    But then, I never liked anything De Palma has done (except for Carlito's Way and The Untouchables). But since he has quite a following I guess he's not as bad a director as I think... [​IMG]

Cheers,

Vincent

16. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

I'll offer an opposite opinion:

Personally, I thought "Femme Fatale" was one of last year's worst films, aside from an opening that seemed promising. All I remember is that the middle of the film was a dull mess that seemed to go on forever. Romijn-Stamos was very nice, but Banderas seemed bored. A very tedious film - most of the audience that I saw it with walked out before the end credits.

I didn't care for it - just my personal opinion. I like Depalma, I like thrillers, I like artier fare and am a huge fan of cinematographer Thierry Arbogast. The opening suggests a better film that I never felt it turned into.

17. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

But... we still haven't addressed the nudity issue, people. [​IMG]

18. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

I think why we haven't addressed the nudity issue, Jeremy, is that we don't want to encourage prurient interest on a non sexual topic. Besides, James asked for no spoilers of ANY kind.

19. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

I loved it! I saw it because of Ebert's review and thought he was absolutely right in his rating and review.

Watching it at home is going to be a problem. It's a movie that you DON'T want to be distracted during. Make sure the lights are dim (or off), the phone is off, the kids are in bed (if applicable) and put a "Do Not Disturb" sign on your door. Do NOT invite friends who talk or are restless during movies.

20. Aaron Garman

Aaron Garman Second Unit

Hello all. This movie was definitely one of the best of 2002. However, I would not do a blind buy. Give it a rent or borrow it from a friend first. I can't wait to see this again, when is the release date for DVD? Any specs too?

AJ Garman