What's new

is bowling an olympic sport? (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
I don't think so, but I saw an Olympic bowling pin (to wear) on ebay and thought it was strange. Its not that different from curling; just lacks the strategy of stone placement.

jeremy

Mark Schermerhorn

Second Unit
Bowling would be tons of fun to watch in the olympics. A few beers and everyone would have a great time. Do other coutries bowl? Or would this be a sport designed for the US to win?

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Do other coutries bowl?
Of course, Bowling has become a popular sport all over world. You will find bowling alleys in almost every country you can think of.

And I thought a few years ago Bowling was an Olympic sport for a short time, and/or was being considered for the Olympics.

I should know all about this as I am considering going pro with my Bowling, but I don't.:b

Scott H

Supporting Actor
I just searched and discovered that bowling made it's debut as an Olympic exhibition sport in 1988.

Jude Faelnar

Stunt Coordinator
If I am not mistaken, Bowling was a demonstration sport during the 1988 SEOUL Olympics (Summer). But, I don't think it managed to become an official or regular Olympic sport after that.
JUDE
EDIT: Ooopss... Scott beat me to it...

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Bowling is played across the world and is certainly a regular feature in the Commonwealth Games. Incidentally, it would be unlikely to be American-dominated - if memory serves me correctly, the past few world champions have been Anzacs or Brits. I find it a very dull sport to watch, but I see no reason why it shouldn't be included. As I've said in a related post, what has level of physical exertion to do with it? Some 'physical' sports are a lot tougher than others (e.g. compare nordic skiing or marathon running with shot putting), but nobody complains about this division. Again, archery and shooting have been in for years without complaint, so why not bowls?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks