What's new

Is Blu-Ray all done with Robert Altman? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
POPEYE (1980), while not a major Altman title, might also be the last. I hope not. No one has paid him much attention lately except for, ironically, Paramount.

There are more Altman films I would like to see on Blu:

COUNTDOWN (1968) James Caan and Robert Duvall in a fascinating early film about space exploration. Incredible ending. First and only time the director engaged in science-fiction, except for the ill-fated QUINTET (1979).

CALIFORNIA SPLIT (1974) This one belongs to Sony. Terrific film about the gambling compulsion with George Segal and Elliot Gould.

THE COMPANY (2003) Neve Campbell excels in the documentary-like film about ballet dancers. Riveting. This, like CALIFORNIA SPLIT, is a Sony property.

PRAIRIE HOME COMPANION (2006) Altman's final film, and more interesting with each subsequent viewing. A chronicle of the radio show, filmed on location. Picturehouse released this, don't know who currently has the rights.

There are others...

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
I believe I read somewhere (can’t remember where) that California Split will be coming from Criterion at some point. On a somewhat related note, over on the other forum, the KL Insider confirmed that The Long Goodbye would be getting a reissue with a new scan (whether it’s 2K or 4K remains to be seen) at some point this year.

Christopher McG

Stunt Coordinator
Absolutely just a gut feeling, but can't you just envision Kino Lorber putting out HEALTH (1980) if they do another deal with Disney, just because they have a knack for putting out stuff you never, ever thought you'd see get released?

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
One of my favorites is Secret Honor (1984) and only on dvd by Criterion released in 2004. Overdue for a new fresh transfer of the film.
Love Secret Honor too but wasn't that shot on video? Maybe I'm wrong but I thought I read something sometime back that the Criterion DVD was as good as that picture will ever look.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Love Secret Honor too but wasn't that shot on video? Maybe I'm wrong but I thought I read something sometime back that the Criterion DVD was as good as that picture will ever look.
It's been a while since I saw it but I thought it was shot on film. Maybe it was 16mm (and blown up to 35mm for theaters) but you could still get a great-looking Blu-ray out of that.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
CALIFORNIA SPLIT (1974) This one belongs to Sony. Terrific film about the gambling compulsion with George Segal and Elliot Gould.
I've been holding out hope that Criterion would do this one. I have the DVD and if I recall it is a cut version or at least I think I read that.

Reactions: PMF

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
It's been a while since I saw it but I thought it was shot on film. Maybe it was 16mm (and blown up to 35mm for theaters) but you could still get a great-looking Blu-ray out of that.

Yeah, I have not seen it in a while. I have it I should pull it out and watch it again. Maybe I am thinking of there being lots of shots in the film from the aspect of video cameras.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Absolutely just a gut feeling, but can't you just envision Kino Lorber putting out HEALTH (1980) if they do another deal with Disney, just because they have a knack for putting out stuff you never, ever thought you'd see get released?
Yeah no they're more likely to release Quintet and A Perfect Couple before H.E.A.L.T.H. And Quintet would look like a glorified DVD!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I'd love to see A Wedding again. I only saw it once in the theater and never again.

Yeah, I saw this theatrically also and wasn't terribly impressed. Frankly, it bored me. But, then, so did NASHVILLE the first time I saw it, and I love it now. There are a number of Altman films I don't think I could ever grow to like. READY TO WEAR (1994) is kind of a disaster, although the final ten minutes -- the final "fashion" show -- were very pleasant to watch (if you've seen it, you know what I mean). But Altman was a very independent artist and didn't give a damn about conventions and studio suits. He went where his drive took him, often in very odd places. I can't imagine there are many of us, even including his most devoted fans, who could honestly say they liked all of his films.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Since Kino just last week announced a Blu of Fool for Love (1985) as a June release, I don’t think Blu is “done with” Altman just yet. I’ve not seen it before so I look forward to some new-to-me Altman.

I very much agree with those wanting BDs of A Wedding and HEALTH.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I believe I read somewhere (can’t remember where) that California Split will be coming from Criterion at some point. On a somewhat related note, over on the other forum, the KL Insider confirmed that The Long Goodbye would be getting a reissue with a new scan (whether it’s 2K or 4K remains to be seen) at some point this year.
Indicator for sure has it — they've had the image up on their inserts that come with their discs — but it's been on hold for over a year.

• Agreed

Kenneth_C

Second Unit
I've been holding out hope that Criterion would do this one. I have the DVD and if I recall it is a cut version or at least I think I read that.

Yes, the DVD was cut by about 3 minutes due to music licensing issues. (Altman himself made the cuts in order to get the movie released on home video.)

Last year, unexpectedly, the original uncut version appeared on Amazon Prime, with the music intact and in the correct aspect ratio. Thanks to announcements on Twitter, I watched it as soon as it appeared, since there was no guarantee how long it would remain. But it's still there, so - hopefully - a future Blu-ray is not out of the question.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks