Is Best Buy Spreading Incorrect Information?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Doug_L, Nov 6, 2001.

1. Doug_L

Doug_L Stunt Coordinator

Found on the Best Buy website:

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I think it's just semantics.
    Dolby Digital has 5.1 (6) discrete channels of info.
    Dolby Pro Logic *starts* with 2 channels, but ends up with 4 *unique* channels of information. (The L + R rear channels carrying the identically same mono signal.)
    Remember, for the most part, they are selling to Joe/Melissa Q Public, and based on that, the statement is *mostly* correct. [​IMG]
    ------------------

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Without the word "discrete", they'd be fine. The word "discrete" is simply wrong, and it's more than just semantics -- the discrete nature of the channels is one of the major distinctions between ProLogic and DD or DTS.
    M.

4. Brian Crowe

Brian Crowe Stunt Coordinator

You're right about the matrixing of info. 2 channels in- 4 non discrete channels out. You get bleed over with prologic.
    ~Crowe~

5. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    They spread much worse mis-information than this routinely. This is much ado about nothing relatively. Optical digital audio is better than co-axial digital. One Busted Buy employee told me this about a Pioneer 555 CD recorder: U put in the disc you want to copy and it memorizes it. Then U take it out and put in a blank disc and hit record.... I said, dude, study up on this before they test you on product knowledge. If you overhear Busted Buy employees whilst in the joint, which can hardly be avoided, you'll hear some whoppers. Best wishes!
    ------------------
    Rachael, the big disc cat! "...in a democracy it don't matter how stupid you are you stille get an equal share..."
    AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 1 to go!

6. Josh LeClair

Josh LeClair Agent

In all honesty you can't put much blame on most of these BBY employees. Most of the information they relay is shit they probably picked up from their supervisor or senior. BBY REALLY lacks in the area of training and unfortunately it tends to fall on the supervisor to train all incomming employees in their department, if you get one sup who has no idea what their talking about, it can really cause soooo much disinformation in the department. Bash the supervisors/management/corporate for the lack of training, try not to bash the lowely employees. Best Buy is slowly getting better in their training but I still think it will be a while before its up to par.

7. Doug_L

Doug_L Stunt Coordinator

Thanks to all for the replies. Glad to see that I didn't have to go back and brush-up on my HT 101 class [​IMG]
    Yeah, it's not nearly as large an error as some of their (and other stores') misinformation, and they're directionally correct, and J6P probably wouldn't grasp the concept of discrete vs. matrixed, but... this is an official document explaining the facts on their website. There's really no excuse for a pre-meditated printed document to contain any wrong factual information.
    Not the end of the world, but worth 10 minutes of my time, I think.

8. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

Without commision, what is their incentive to get better at what they do? Why learn more if it offers you no benifit?
    I often recruit the ones that work their that have a clue and ask them if they'd like to triple (or even quadruple) their income...

9. Ashley Burt

Ashley Burt Extra

For Pro Logic the *simplified* *basic* format is:
    Center = Left + Right
    Rear = Left - Right (or Right - Left can't remember)
    For most effects the VCR tapes recorded their phase such that they would produce a strong sound from the rear or the center channel.
    I've actually played with this on an old Pro Logic recvr several years back. I hooked up my PC to the Left and Right channels and played with the phase to make tones transition from center to the rear and back.
    So yes I would agree with your concern on the term discrete. As technology becomes standard so does the terminology. I believe more and more people understand the difference between Matrixed versus Discrete. So they should update their site.

10. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

May they feel the sting of the lash upon their collective pitiful shoulders.

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor