What's new

Is Barry Bonds going to hit .400 next year? (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
One other comment -- I blame both the owners and the players for the current state of the game. Both sides need to show some vision and put some things into the next collective bargaining agreement to repair the game. Those items should include not only a salary cap and revenue sharing, but also a ban on and testing for steroids (similar to the NFL). This ban should encompass all of professional baseball, not just at the major league level.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Why shorten the season back to 154 games? With three tiers of playoffs now, the season is just too damn long.
Not only is the season too long, but so are the games. Whatever happened to the two hour baseball game? There is no reason an average game should be pushing three hours. Some of the most exciting games I watched as a kid were those pitched by Mark Fidrych, and his games rarely lasted two hours. There was just one reason -- when "The Bird" got the ball, he was ready to throw another pitch immediately. Stop all this stepping off the rubber, then having the batter step out of the box. THROW THE DAMN BALL!!

I doubt you will see the number of games reduced though, and for just one reason -- money. Fewer games means fewer tickets sold.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
It sounds as though there will be a strike, probably about a month before the end of the season.

There are so many things wrong with the game, it's not funny anymore. For example, the Montreal Expos are now owned by MLB. What happens if they are in the pennant race at the end of July -- will they be allowed to make any big trades or acquisitions to bolster their chances? Of course not. Where's the integrity?

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
Yankee fans don't have cores, Jack. They're all surface.
As opposed to Kansas City fans, who have no insides. About the time George Brett retired, our collective innards were ripped out and used to line the swimming pools of the owners who decided that as soon as they got a good player, they had to trade them before they asked for over league minimum. A few years later they gave Tony Muser tenure, only choosing to fire him when they realized that the man actually does shit where he sleeps.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Bonds is just bigger, stronger and sees the ball better than he ever has before. I don't believe he is using steroids, he's just working hard. And Pac Bell park isn't as HR friendly as everyone thinks. In fact, it is one of the lesser hitting friendly parks around if you look at the stats.

Give the guy credit, he deserves it.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
The alleged use of steroids by Major League Baseball players has gotten the attention of a US Senator. From espn.com:

The steroids in baseball debate has reached another spotlight.

U.S. Senator Byron Dorgan, D-North Dakota, has "launched a preliminary investigation of the illegal use of steroids in professional baseball," Roll Call Daily reported Monday.

Under the investigation, Dorgan plans to call on MLB execs, players and union representatives to testify on Capitol Hill before the commerce, science and transportation subcommittee on consumer affairs, foreign commerce and tourism. Dorgan is also the chair of the subcommittee.

"We are in the process now of gathering names of witnesses to explore what is really happening," Dorgan said.

MLB lobbyist Lucy Calauitt told Roll Call Daily that the league "intends to have one or two people at the hearing to testify," but those names are unknown at this time.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
There are so many problems with baseball these days that I have lost just about all enthusiasm for the game. I go to one or two games a year, but I almost never watch a game on TV or check box scores online or in the paper. Back in the '80s, I practically never missed a Mets game on TV. Then Gooden and Strawberry got into trouble, and my interest waned. The situation with Pete Rose made me sick years ago. It still does. The strike in '94 hit me hard, and with poor pitching, records being broken every year as a result of poor pitching, another strike looming, talk about star players using steroids, etc., I've had it. I used to love the game. I collected memorabilia avidly, but stopped about five years ago. Some years back, there were players I could cheer for. Ripken, Mattingly, Brett, Schmidt, Puckett, Ozzie Smith, etc., etc., etc. Now, the only player I really cheer for these days is Sammy Sosa. I respect Sosa. The last time I was excited about baseball was 1998 when Sosa and McGwire chased Maris. I've never liked Bonds.

KyleS

Screenwriter
Three cheers for Roger Clemens for plunking Bonds and that ridiculous armor her wears on his elbow. I hate seeing batters with all that gear they wear while batting (except for knee/shin/ankle guards to protect recent injuries). If I was up there with all that armor protecting me, I'd be all over the plate too. Thanks Roger!
Christopher you agree with allowing knee/shin/ankle guards but not on the elbow and back of your arm? How does this make sense? The threat of getting hit with a pitch because you are standing along side the plate should never be used by pitchers its unethical and NOT part of the game. Hitting someone with a pitch on purpose is terrible and why batters charge the mound. (they should carry a bat which is a lethal weapon same as a baseball at 100mph)

I have played all the way up to the college ranks and can say that it isn’t fun to get hit ANYWHERE let alone in the back of the arm with a 90-100mph fastball. If you get hit there you are pretty much guaranteed to be out of the game for a couple of days if not a week. A batter can stand anywhere inside of the batters box they please and if they get hit by a pitch its the pitchers fault. Now if Bonds was leaning over the plate to take shots in the arm for a walk then there would be a problem but he isn’t doing anything wrong and my hats off to his recent accomplishments and hard work.(As a person he seems to be an ass but is a great ball player)
Now after saying that I do agree that the strike zone should be raised back up a little more to at least the belly area. Of course these players that are hitting home runs are running on a smaller strike zone but I don’t think that in anyway they are facing weaker pitching then what Babe Ruth hit against. Matter of fact I think the pitching has gotten better due to the amount of pitches they have at their hands but also because of the sheer number of pitchers that you can face (Each pitcher is a new challenge to hit since they deliver differently). IMO Babe Ruth wouldn’t hit nearly as many home runs today if he was playing and hitters today would hit a ton more if they were put back then.

A Salary cap is needed and it needs to be the same across the board. The way the cap is setup currently the larger cities will almost always have better teams since they can get the bigger advertisement funding and ticket sales due to the populations.

KyleS

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I could add more players to the list of those I cheered for once upon a time. Johnny Bench, Joe Morgan, Robin Yount, Willie Stargell, and Tony Gwynn come to mind. Today's players just don't get me excited about baseball. :frowning:

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Bonds is just bigger, stronger and sees the ball better than he ever has before. I don't believe he is using steroids, he's just working hard.
All three of those characteristics (increased size, strength, and visual acuity) are typical results of steroid use. Is he working harder than he used to? Perhaps, but the extra work would barely be enough to offset the effects of age.

I think I've seen some people erroneously say that steroids are legal in baseball. A more correct statement would be that they are every bit as illegal in baseball, it's just that the players have not agreed to be tested. They're probably saving that "concession" for negotiations during the upcoming strike...

Christopher P

Supporting Actor
Kyle S. thank you for the excellent rebuke of my post. I played all the way up through high school, so I know how it is too (minus a few mph on the fastballs). I guess my post was a bit harsh, but I was trying to applaud Clemens for taking back the plate, which so few pitches fo these days. He wasn't head-hunting, I am a huge fan, but his tagging Piazza's dome was hidious. And many people wearing guards are protecting previous injuries, not making it easier to bad by ensuring the prevention of potential ones. No, Bonds isn't doing anything wrong, and I applaud him toom, and I agree with the rest of your post...I guess I just think he's asking for someone to tag his arm, and someone finally did it. Maybe I'd be a bigger fan if he lost the arm-guard.

Thanks again for the rebuttal.

Chris

KyleS

Screenwriter
No problem Christopher thats what I am here for right? ;)
Seriously a HUGE problem with baseball IMO is not the addition of teams, since there are enough players around the world who can play at that level, but has more to do with the salary cap and minimization of the strike zone. The way the salary cap is setup is rediculous because it allows the teams that are doing the best to take all the money they are making and spend it on better players. With better players they win more games and make more money and the process continues. :angry:
The strike zone I believe came about due to lack of attendance and owners know that Home runs are exciting to people. When they minimized the strike zone Home runs did increase but I dont think that is the only reason people are hitting more home runs then years past. Players are getting bigger. stronger, and faster. Hitting home runs does have something to do with strength but a lot more to do with the speed or velocity in which you swing the bat. Thats why a lot of these guys from the past 5-10 years that are not very big can hit Home runs (Griffey, Henderson, Bonds, and even Cal Ripken) Strength really comes into play when someone swings a 40" bat giving them a bigger lever then someone who can only get a 36" bat around on the same pitch.
I certainly hope that baseball can survive since I am a believer that it was, and still is, one of Americas greatest pastimes.
KyleS

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Just as I want to write off baseball and tell the world that it sucks, Shane Spencer of the Yankees hits a grand slam in the bottom of the 8th that proves to be the game winner against the Diamondbacks. That's some good stuff.

It's also worth mentioning that Marcus Thames of the Yankees hit a home run tonight on the first pitch he ever saw in the major leagues, and Randy Johnson threw it. Not too shabby.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
With three tiers of playoffs now, the season is just too damn long
Two words: Basketball. Hockey. :rolleyes
And one more thing: LINK. There's similar discussion going on.
Anyhow, before we merge ;) - I'd like to mention that I watched ESPN's 'Classic Baseball' today featuring Game 7 of the 1975 World Series (Reds vs Red Sox - Joe Morgan knocked in the winning run, lifting the Reds to victory, yadda yadda). What a strike zone these guys had to work with!
:emoji_thumbsup: No DH.
:emoji_thumbsup: No interleague play.
Scoring: I love the 1-0, 2-1 games. An occassional (meaning uncommon!) game that gets up around 9-6 or so is okay but not something that should happen every day. Scrapping out runs, where managerial skills come out, is another aspect that I'd like to see come back into prominence again. Steals, hit & run, sacrifices...these parts of the game are slowly being eroded by the big fat HR. Next, I forsee the 3-point shot being adapted to baseball. :frowning:

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Three cheers for Roger Clemens for plunking Bonds and that ridiculous armor her wears on his elbow. I hate seeing batters with all that gear they wear while batting (except for knee/shin/ankle guards to protect recent injuries). If I was up there with all that armor protecting me, I'd be all over the plate too. Thanks Roger!
It's funny how people see things differently.

I saw Clemens head hunting as a typical Clemens chicken shit move. (By the way, the league is now looking at fining or suspending him.)

It sure is easy for old Roger to fire a heater at some one when he doesn't have to come up himself. If there were any justice in the world the Yanks would again make the playoffs and Torre would make the mistake of pitching Roger in the NL Park where he would have to face the music.

As for the original post in this thread, quite frankly I can't agree with its' sensational tabloid tone.

While baseball does have some problems it is nowhere near as bad as the original post would make you believe.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
As for the original post in this thread, quite frankly I can't agree with its' sensational tabloid tone. While baseball does have some problems it is nowhere near as bad as the original post would make you believe.
Let's see...
1. Competitive balance is non-existent thanks to fundamental flaws in the economic structure of the game.
2. Thanks to this economic structure --created by both players and owners-- there WILL be a work stoppage this year.
3. Rampant steroid use is helping destroy many of baseball's sacred records.
If those three are not cause for alarm, I don't know what could be. Besides the fact I still root for the Cubs! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks