Is Barry Bonds going to hit .400 next year?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Perry, Jun 10, 2002.

1. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Last year Barry Bonds shattered not only the single-season homerun record, but also blew away Babe Ruth's 81-year-old record for slugging percentage. Bonds also set the record for most walks.

This year he is on pace to shatter Ted Williams' single-season record for on-base percentage.

And Bonds is going to be 38 in a few weeks.

What gives? His performance is unprecedented not only for the actual numbers but the age at which he's putting them up. I think it's ludicrous that someone who has been in the league as long as he has is suddenly able to break many of the most important records in the game, after more than fifteen years of good, maybe borderline great (but not legendary) performance. His OBP of .572 is .150 higher than his career average. His slugging percentage of last year was .300 higher than his career average. Jumps like that don't happen in baseball. They just don't, unless there are another variables involved, such as rules changes (or steroids).

Baseball's very foundation is stats. Stats are what get kids interested in baseball. If the numbers suddenly have no validity, the game will die. Between juiced balls and juiced ballplayers, I am afraid for the future of baseball.

2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

3. Anthony Moore

Anthony Moore Supporting Actor

4. Scott Merryfield

Anthony,

What always amazed me about Aaron's record was the fact that he never hit 50 HR's in a season. The consistency required to hit 755 HR's without any huge single season numbers is quite an accomplishment.

5. Anthony Moore

Extremely true.

For someone to play so many years without getting hurt is amazing. Consistancy is the huge part of the game.

6. MichaelG

MichaelG Second Unit

Mark McGwire has the best AB/HR ratio, even better than Babe Ruth. If he wasn't hurt so much throughout his career he would have set the record, but that's why it's a record, longevity.

I am unimpressed with baseball these days, I am sure that a large number are roiding. What I don't get is that steroids are illegal aren't they, why shouldn't MLB be able to test for illegal drugs. Yes they are legal if prescribed by a doctor, but if these guys don't have a prescription they are breaking the law aren't they?

Baseball has become a joke the last 10 years. Way too many home runs, ect... I think that Scott made enough good points. Here's why Bonds won't hit .400 next year, these spoiled losers are likely to strike in September. I guess that playing a game for a few million a year with at least 2 months vacation a year is asking too much. After the last strike I lost a lot of interest in baseball, the next one I hope does even more so to other fans. These babies think the game belongs to them, the game belongs to the fans, no fans no game, period.

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

And don't forget a ridiculously juiced baseball.

Remember also that McGwire was playing for an out-of-contention team. There was no real pressure other than the individual attention given to him. I rather think Mickey Mantle faced much greater stakes in 1961.

These records are so damn meaningless now. You guys are right: Statistics that have remained unapproached for so damn long don't suddenly come crashing down on an almost annual basis like that. Remember, there was an asterisk by Roger Maris's 61st home until a decade or so ago.

I still think of Babe Ruth as the true single-season homerun king.

We're not quite playing the same game these days. Meaningless. And I'm disillusioned. And I hate interleague play.

8. John Spencer

John Spencer Supporting Actor

What I hate is that the owners have deluded fans and everyone else into thinking that the players are all at fault for the escalating salaries and ticket prices for the games. The owners, last I checked, pay the salaries. They also receive all revenues. The only thing the players are doing is trying to see what they are worth to the owners.
    If the owners weren't still making craploads of money, they wouldn't continue to own the teams, and they wouldn't continue to pay the salaries. Most people would love to get paid a crapload to do their job, and if the market could bear it, they would. How many of us complain that companies make all this money, and we see little of it?
    What needs to happen is a true salary cap, where the owners sit down and say, "Okay, this is getting silly. Half the nation can't afford to come anymore, and the smaller market teams can't compete financially. To make the game more competitive for all the teams, we need to equalize the playing field."

9. Anthony Moore

10. John Spencer

John Spencer Supporting Actor

Well, I should say that MLB does have a salary cap, but it's retarded as hell. This is how it works:
    Each team is allowed to spend as much as they made in revenue the year before, plus 5%. That's it. And revenues include liscencing rights from appearances, merchandise and memorabilia. So I guess that's fair, right? Right? Hello?

11. MichaelG

MichaelG Second Unit

12. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

13. Anthony Moore

14. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

15. Christopher P

Christopher P Supporting Actor

Three cheers for Roger Clemens for plunking Bonds and that ridiculous armor her wears on his elbow. I hate seeing batters with all that gear they wear while batting (except for knee/shin/ankle guards to protect recent injuries). If I was up there with all that armor protecting me, I'd be all over the plate too. Thanks Roger!

With a salary cap, there should also be a salary floor. If you can't afford to spend money for your team to sign players, you really don't deserve to have own a team in the first place. I've heard stories (true? maybe....) about owners who have the money but don't want to spend it, that's ridiculous. They don't deserve to have a winning team in that place, let alone own a MLB team. It's sort of like any other business, the ones that spend money on R&D, securing a strong staff, etc....are going to do better than those that don't.

Random thoughts:

Bonds' 2001 was amazing, but not nearly as amazing as what Ruth did over his career compared to his generation...he often hit more home runs in a year than other teams did.

Steroids aren't illegal in baseball, but it's illegal to have them in the US without a perscription. They should test these guys and send the guilty ones to jail..that would be hilarious.

There's so much wrong with baseball...this thread could get as long at the "Attack of the Clones" or "Word Association" threads here.

Chris

16. Jack Briggs

17. Christopher P

Christopher P Supporting Actor

I kind of like inter-league play, at a few series a year. I'm kind of a purist I guess, but this is one modernism I like. Yes, get rid of the DH. Does anyone like this, other than current DH's?

They are going to charge whatever they can for tickets...it is a supply & deamnd issue, like anything else, I know there's another thread concerning MLB attendance, maybe we should join these two and have a "What's wrong with baseball" mega-thread.

Chris

18. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

19. Scott Merryfield

I agree regarding baseball needing a salary cap. I have said this many times -- if the NFL used the same financial model as MLB, the Green Bay Packers would no longer exist. Under the NFL's system, not only does the Packers continue to exist, but they are also a very competitive organization.

For sports competition to be fair, all competitors must be on a level playing field. In today's high-priced professional sports, this cannot happen without a salary cap and revenue sharing. There is no way a team in Kansas City can generate the amount of revenue as a team in New York -- the population base is not there.

As for the DH, I know this goes against popular opinion here, but I do not mind the rule. I would rather see a decent batter than a guy take three feeble swings and return to the bench. I know that some pitchers can hit, but they are the exception rather than the rule.

BTW, I do remember when the AL did not have the DH rule, so this is not the opinion of some whippersnapper. Since I no longer watch MLB, though, my opinion isn't really important. The '94 strike was the final straw for me.

20. Jack Briggs

Sort of like the Star Trek franchise being in the hands of Rick Berman and Brannon Braga, eh Jason? [​IMG]
    Why shorten the season back to 154 games? With three tiers of playoffs now, the season is just too damn long.
    As for the pitching mound: Remember, MLB raised it in 1969 because of the year before, the so-called "year of the pitcher" (highest AL batting average: .301, from your hometown man "The Yaz"). Pitching was, the establishment thought, overpowering the game. Attendance was way down. There was even talk of the game fading away.
    So, what happens next year? An offensive juggernaut. The Miracle Mets. More hits. All the stuff the non-purists love (I'm a pitching-duel fan).
    And look at what we have now.
    Of course, I hate reg-season interleague play. But a buddy of mine is dragging my sorry ass to Dodger Stadium to see the boys in blue play your hometown Bosox. Though a Yankee fan to the core (sorry, Jason), I love the Red Sox and the tradition the team upholds ("No World Series titles since 1918!"--sorry Jason). [​IMG]