Is anyone using their X Boxes for watching DVD's???"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard Gray, Jun 28, 2002.

1. Richard Gray

Richard Gray Stunt Coordinator

I was just wondering if anyone was using the "Box" as their regular DVD Player? If not, why and what are you using instead?

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I think most of us see game systems as game systems

Watching DVDs on them is just unnecessary wear, and we use stand-alone players and HTPCs

3. Richard Gray

That's what I thought [​IMG]

4. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Also, standalone players offer more features and higher quality playback.

-Dave

5. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    I use my Xbox for gaming and my PS2 has become the dvd player. I don't care if it wears out. Hell, it would collect dust otherwise. [​IMG]

6. James St

James St Supporting Actor

Since my Sony dvd changer doesn't pass DTS I use my XBox for DTS movies. I never liked XBox or PS2 as a dvd player because both output pictures that are much darker then my changer. After recalibrating the tv input and moving the changer to another input I found movies much more watchable with XBox. I plan on buying a progressive scan player(Panasonic RP82) soon and leave the XBox for gaming only. I will say that the XBox is king when it comes to layer changes though.

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

That happens with any DVD-ROM. The drives used in computers and game systems have stepper motors that are about 10x faster than DVD players because they must access data quickly

8. Richard Gray

Just wanted to let you guy's know I just bought an X-Box. .[​IMG] Now to hook it up and try out a game! It will be used for GAMING of course.
    Thanks all.

9. Daniel Swartz

Daniel Swartz Second Unit

I believe the XBox can play PAL DVDs though... which is a good reason to use it for DVD playback.

10. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Yeah, it does a great job with PAL playback. But choose wisely when you plug in the remote dongle. The dongle's region will be flashed to Xbox memory and the only way to currently change it is a mod chip. So, plug in a R1 dongle and you have a R1 machine. Plug in a R2 dongle and you have a R2 machine, etc...

-Dave

11. Daniel Swartz

Interesting. Does that mean I can play R2 PAL/NTSC DVDs if I get an R2 dongle? What if I swap it with an R1 dongle? Which dongle setting will hold? Thanks!

12. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

13. Daniel Swartz

I saw that. I just thought that another dongle might re-flash the memory somehow.

14. LowellG

LowellG Stunt Coordinator

I guess I am the exception. I use mine as the full time DVD player. Never a problem, I think the picture is just fine. I don't have an HDTV so I guess it doesn't matter.

15. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Had to move my old Tosh sd1200 back upstairs for the other TV. The Xbox is only ok for DVDs but just about any name-brand standalone player will outperform it.

16. James_A

James_A Stunt Coordinator

I've got my Xbox hooked as my primary DVD player, but I'm much more likely to use my computer right now (because it's setup better for it). I used the Xbox there because I don't have enough plugs on the back of the TV to hook everything that needs to be there -- if I include the DVD player...

I've got a Wega with a computer input, PS2, DC, Gamecube, N64, DirecTivo, regular DirecTV reciever, VCR, Xbox, WebTV, and OTA antenna -- the extra DVD doesn't fit in well unless I bump something around....

Jim

17. Richard Gray

Thanks Everyone,
    Even though none of you suggested using the Box as a primary DVD player after buying one I tried it with a couple of movies. From Hell and K-Pax were both rendered pretty well on my Tube TV (32" Sharp) using Interlaced but feeding the data with the High Def A/V Pack and it's component Video output and RCA type audio connects.
    Overall the results were pretty good on my screen with the audio sounding above average when pumped through 2 Mirage OM-10's in stereo. Using these large floorstanders in stereo mode made the sound hard to follow. But, after hooking it up to a mid-fi 5.1 surround speaker setup (Cerwin Vega AVS-632)using DPL II Enhanced with a Yamaha RX-V1200 to clean up the signal the results were much sharper. [​IMG]
    Bottom line here is that the X-Box is pretty good as a DVD Player. But you need the AV Pack to send out the best signal. So, I will be using this as my primary player until I get a big screen HDTV. [​IMG]