What's new

Is anyone still playing METROID PRIME (1 Viewer)

JamesH

Supporting Actor
The lockup problems in Metroid are from glitchy code, the discs probably aren't defective.

Michael Pakula

Second Unit
I managed to beat the Sheegoth. Thanks for all the tips.
I have a new problem now though its nothing big but once I get the wave beam and go to Ice Ruins west and than shoot the Ice stalacite and than hop onto the roofs. The last
roof you have to jump to the wave beam door I cannot make.
Is there any particular way to do so?
I usually end up getting close to it but than fall.

-Mike

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
I now know why everyone was complaining about the Omega Pirate. I've gone against him twice now(once was with my friend who somehow managed to beat him in his MP game) and I got my ass handed to me both times.God only knows when I'll actually beat him. In the process of getting to him, I too realized a fatal flaw in the control scheme. I hate hate hate not being able to look and move at the same time. It never really bothered me until I was at one point in the phazon mines and kept missing a jump over and over again(Samus looks down while jumping but not enough IMHO). It's not enough to make me dislike the game but it does make things a bit more annoying.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
YEAHA!!! I beat the stupid Omega Pirate(albeit with only 13 health remaining!). I feel such a weight has been lifted :) Can anyone give me an idea of how % done I'll be if right after beating the Omega Pirate I'm at 53%? I want to see the ending where Samus removes her helmet but I'm not sure I will. Anyhow, now that I've beaten Omega, my complaints about this game will cease once again :D

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The % the game shows you is the % of the items you've collected. There are 100 items to get in all. You have 53 of them.

You're probably at the last 20% of the game, if not even closer to the end (I don't remember, its been a while).

Damien

Supporting Actor
I haven't played it yet, but I think that respawing enemies is a classic element that stays true to 16-bit gaming, where every game had enemy respawns.

One thing that hasn't been brought up in defense of the controls...
(credit egm interview)
First, lets look at the resident evil series. Something that a lot of people don't realize is that the game would not have the same effect on the player if the game controlled like devil may cry/metal gear solid. Basically the whole point of playing the game, the scare factor, would be lost, and it would feel more like a cartoon. Also there would be no point of having dynamic camera angles....
...I don't know much about Metroid or the series. But from what I have gathered, the difficult control is supposed to be hard since you are wearing a heavy suit and whatnot, so maybe certain things cannot be done at the same time. Maybe the only way in real life to see things in a suit like that would be to have a visor. Just like Sam in splinter cell has a bad shot from lack of expirience, maybe the same applies here. I don't know it's just from what i've seen in other discussions.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Finished it just now. I'll probably play through it again if for no other reason than to experience the whole game in PL2(now that I'm back at school). The final battle sounded amazing so I'm curious to hear the rest of the game in PL2. 85% 20:35. All in all despite a few frustrating moments, Metroid Prime gets a solid 9.5 from me. :emoji_thumbsup:

Angel Pagan

Second Unit
Anyone still playing? I'm have trouble making it from the save station in the Main Quarry located in Phazon Mines stage 1 to the save station in stage 2. The 6 or 7 energy tanks I have aren't enough. I had to look in the player's guide to see if there was an energy tank that I could pick up. I make it as far as the Cloaked Drones (as named in the player's guide). :b

Anyone else had trouble at this point of the game?

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
By the way, Dave, if the jumps are still giving you trouble, one thign that makes them much easier is to have Samus look down with R. While looking down, hit hte L button, then release R. This "locks" her view to wherever she was facing, and is great for making some of the games trickier jumps.

DaveKahler

Stunt Coordinator
If you got to the cloaked drone, you were 98% there. Actually, the save station is in that room. If you have the missiles to spare, fire the wave buster in the general direction of the drone to take care of it real quick.

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
The Omega Pirate is tough, but it definitely didn't seem impossible to beat at any point. Here are some tips:

*Use the Missle/Combo attack to remove the shielding. It only takes one hit to remove each piece.

*Never allow the Omega Pirate to swat at you; that removes a huge chunk of your life.

*Use the regular attack visor when removing the the Omega Pirate's sheilding and when fighting the Elite Pirates, but switch to the X-Ray visor when the Omega Pirate is recharging at the Phazon pits.

*The Omega Pirate makes a sound when it returns to charge at the Phazon pits; listen for it, and immediately switch to your X-Ray Visor and Plasma Cannon when you hear it (or even switch to those two items a little sooner in anticipation).

*Lock onto the Omega Pirate and fire a charged-up Plasma Cannon at him to inflict the most damage. You need to get 3-4 shots at him before he returns to visible form, so when he's recharging, simply do your best to avoid all the Elite Pirates (even if they're attacking you) and concentrate on the Omega Pirate.

*Do attack the Elite Pirates when the Omega Pirate is gone because they become hard to avoid when there are more than 4-6 of them, and because they can sometimes leave behind health.

*Don't attack the Elite Pirates when removing the Omega Pirates sheilding, because when the Omega Pirate unleashes his energy shockwave ground attack, it will damage (and eventually kill) all the Elite Pirates in the vicinity. Sometimes it is in your benefit to knock down Elite Pirates hanging from the walls, so the Omega Pirate can inadvertently kill them.

Also, sometimes you get lucky. When I was fighting to Omega Pirate, the game repeatedly sent down White Elite Pirates (Ice Beam) instead of Purple, Yellow, or Red Elites. The White Elites are MUCH easier to kill, because it only takes one charged Ice Beam followed by a missile to kill them. This helped me immensely because I was able to keep the Elite Pirate numbers down and they took away less of my life.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Yahoo! I got a copy of this game last Friday, so I'm definitely still playing it. I was in heaven once they started playing the classic Metroid tune during the map station uploads ;).
Great, great game. I find this game's amazing despite the controls. It took a while to adjust to using them, but they're really second nature now. I won't say I wouldn't rather be using a mouse because it's just not true, but it's an elegant control scheme for a first person shooter on a console.
And it's so very, very Metroid. So far, 20% done and I've plugged in around six hours (official time is 3:48, but I got my butt handed to me a bunch of times). LOVE the boss fights in this game. They're hard as hell, so you feel like you've conquered Everest when you're done. The plant fight was awesome.
It's not just a trick and then being done, it's a trick, then the trick to making the trick work, THEN you can damage the boss :D.
Also, I second the mention for a soundtrack. The song that plays when you're travelling above ground is nothing short of amazing.
In short, love this game!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
That about sums it up for me, Mark. This game IS Metroid. I can't believe how well Retro pulled it off.

Don't know if you've gotten there yet, but the Phendrana Drifts music is exquisite.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
I concur Greg, great music. This game continues to impress. I got the thermal visor last night and let me just say that that whole sequence both before and after is amazing, particularly the after sections.
Ye gods, talk about sweat-inducing.
I'm almost sad to be going through this game at the rate I am, I can truly say that I'll miss the thrill of discovery when I go throw the game again. Which is surprising, since I'm not usually so absorbed in my games. I have a new favorite game for my Cube now, suffice it to say :D

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
I'm about 70% through it, but I've decided that before confronting the final boss battle, I'll backtrack and pick up any items I may have left behind. I barely have enough time to play the game as-is, let alone play it again for all the items.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm on the last boss and lack one energy tank and a TON of missiles. The max is 250, right? I think I have 190. I'd like to go back and get the rest, but the game is so huge, and I don't have a clue where to look. I could probably use a walkthrough, but it's kind of difficult even with that to remember which missiles I found and which I didn't. I think I'll just have to be satisfied with a lesser ending.

Angel Pagan

Second Unit
I'm getting my ass handed to me by the Omega Pirate. :frowning:
I've read all the tips in this thread but luck doesn't seem to be on my side since I'm getting very few White Elite Pirates.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Argh. Just argh. I got clobbered last night down in the Mines after that long, long stretch where you are fighting the new pirate types. Mercy mercy is that ever tough! And now I get to do it all over again, glee... :p)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks