What's new

Is anyone planning on moving to Windows XP? (1 Viewer)

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Interesting read (the white papers)... in the end, ultimately, the reason that I wont use XP (at least for now) is that it does not offer a significant improvemet over Win2K. Win2K was a HUGE improvement over NT 4 (plug and play alone made it worth its weight). But, as for XP, it's going to take more than Microsoft throwing in a new version of Media Player and a Microsoft Instant Messenger to get me to use the product...
There are still times when I wish we could go back to the days of DOS. Everything seemed a lot more simple then (ahh, the joy of TSRs...)

brian a

Second Unit
There are several companies here in austin who have been fined hundreds of thousands of dollars in the past few years for using unlicensed software. Weather that is a criminal action or a civil one, I think, is of little consequece. I don't think that the driving force behind the forum's anti piracy stance in fear of litigation. It a moral issue. It just seems that a lot of people think that since it's microsoft, it's ok to screw em.
I do work with computers every day. Boy howdy, that's an understatement
wink.gif
I'm actually building the computer that I'm typing this on for work, and I just ripped out the RAID card and replaced the HD. I'm also running serveral boxes with XP for compatability testing of the distributed cancer research project application. I agree with most of the comments about XP, but I think it's a bit much to attack them for enforcing their policies. If you think you should be able to install it on as many computers as you want, you should be fighting the policy, not the enforcement of it. And I have to say I don't disagree with that stance either. I think they should allow home users to install on multiple machines. Is two a fair number? Maybe. Is 8? 50? I think you have to draw the line somewhere, and ,if you follow the 80/20 rule, 2 PC's per person pretty much covers it.
Just my opinion.
brianca..

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm one of those (apparently) few lucky souls who did a clean install of Windows ME and have had it work flawlessly for the last 10 months! Also, when conflicting software was installed (the Adaptec vs. McAfee conflicts), using "System Restore" got my system working in a matter of minutes!
So I'm a big fan of ME (all I do is light gaming and Office 2000 work, as well as 'net surfing) for what I do at home and it would take a huge leap in quality for me to be compelled to go with XP.
I'm planning on skipping this version and jumping onto the next one, probably in 2003 or 2004.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I have been running XP RC2 now for a couple of weeks with no problems. One issue that I have with it at THIS time is that some of the drivers that I need haven't been written for it yet.
Another issue that I have is that the RC2 .iso file that is being made available to download is the Professional version instead of the Home version. It clearly states that once you have installed the Professional version of the OS you cannot install the Home version instead and that you HAVE to use the Professional version or remove it from your computer.
Now what I want to know is what is Microsoft going to charge for this Professional version as opposed to the Home version. With the prices that I have seen for Office XP I can only imagine that the Professional version of XP is going to be a bit over priced.
Otherwise I have no issues with the performance of the software. It loads faster and runs better without all those blue error screens and it has yet to freeze up or crash on me.
The last issue that I have with this software is the new version of IE. They have incorported the use of hyperlinks throughout all web pages that you visit that underline words on a web page that takes you back to a site that is owned by Microsoft.
I may just have to end up going with 2000 myself.
Parker

Chris Mannes

Stunt Coordinator
Actually the 'feature' where IE6 underlined words that then linked to other sites has been removed.
It was called 'Smart Tags' but due to the negative opinion of it, it was dropped, in June actually.
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200...html?tag=mn_hd
If you'd still like to see what it would be like. Visit http://www.flyswat.com which is basically the same idea.
Also Currently RC2 is no longer the latest beta iso. In fact build 2542 is the latest. And for those with access both Home and Professional builds are downloadable. Server has entered a 'separate' beta with it's own build number. As for prices, I don't know. I do know that WinXP briefly popped up at Amazon for Pre-Order. But was pulled fairly quickly. Amazon at the time claimed:
Home $200 new, $100 upgrade
Pro $300 new, $200 upgrade.
[Edited last by Chris Mannes on August 16, 2001 at 06:21 PM]

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Parker,
I would assume that the Win2K drivers would work for XP (same kernel), but I could be wrong.

James Reyes

Stunt Coordinator
I am buying a new computer for my home. I use it mainly for web surfing, web authoring, digital imaging, minor sound editing, and Office 2000 stuff. What do you all think of running W2K Pro vs. ME? The fact that W2K is written on the NT kernel makes it attractive to me, but does W2K suffer from some of the compatibility issues of its predecessors? I currently run Win98. I am not even considering XP.
[Edited last by James Reyes on August 21, 2001 at 04:53 PM]

Steven K

Supporting Actor
I'd do a little researching beforehand. If the drivers exist for Win2K for the peripherals you want to use, definitely go with Win2K. You could always go with both OSes which is what I recommend. It's very, very easy to set the machine up. If you need help with this feel free to let me know and I can help you through the process.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Don't worry Carlo, you're not the only one that appreciates ME. Perhaps because I also did a totally clean install, I've been really happy with my version. It doesn't quite match my 2K machine for mindless disk gobbling, and when I was having problems with my hardware (I installed it because I'd just bought an Athlon) the constant round of driver juggling until I managed to get the VIA chipset happy with the GeForce (it turned out to be mainly down to a dodgy memory stick, but VIA and NVidia were squabbling as well) took a tiny fraction of the time it would have done without the wonder that is System Restore.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Greater problem with the activation sequence for home users is not that you are entitled to two installs (and the second one really must be a laptop to pull it off) but once you make three hardware changes, boom, it will not allow you to log in without getting new keys from Microsoft.. that's because 1/2 your key is assembled from the hardware diagnosis of your PC on initial install.
So, let's say you start out with system X (which I did)
AMD 1.2G Tbird
Asus A7M
SB Live!
Geforce 2 Ultra
512MB
And you do this:
Ghost to a bigger Hard drive
Install More memory
Change to a GF3 video card
BOOM! Windows stops working! You have to call MS on the phone & get a new key..
Or, if you do exactly as I did:
Change from the Asus A7M to the Tyan Dual CPU AMD MB..
A motherboard change alone (or change from single to dual CPU) will also kill XP, requiring you to call MS on the phone to get a new key after you prove to them that you did so legally.
Isn't that a b----
Now, at the company where I am IT manager for, we buy Windows under the Corporate Licence program, so none of them have the activation procedure.. and if you intend to buy 5 copies or more, and are a business, that works out... but for the home users.. you guys get to take it in the pants.

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
BOOM! Windows stops working! You have to call MS on the phone & get a new key..
Ugh, just the thought of having to call up a Microsoft 1-800 number......Just imagine bringing home a fancy new PC upgrade, (New video card, CPU, motherboard etc.) the excitement of new hardware, all ruined because Windows refuses to work, and the only possible way to fix it is to sit at a phone for hours waiting through endless busy signals, music, and "your call is very important to us". And they expect us to PAY $100 for this?
No freeken way!

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
Hell, I'm still using Windows NT Workstation 4.0 SP6a. :)
I still haven't found a reason to upgrade to Windows 2000 Professional, so I probably won't get XP either.

Steven K

Supporting Actor
I still haven't found a reason to upgrade to Windows 2000 Professional, so I probably won't get XP either.
Plug and Play alone is worth the price of admission. At first I hated Plug and Play, but its so much easier than messing around with setting jumpers, etc...

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I just realized that our workplace has a site license with Microsoft. Since I'm starting to do a good deal of work from home, I'll be eligible to install the work OS at home (talked to my boss and network guys and they said "yes"). We always deploy the new OS about 6 months after release (to let MS make a SP1 or later) so I'll probably be migrating to XP Professional probably around Spring 2002.
That will also let more 3rd party manufacturers get some WHQL drivers out there so XP won't throw a fit with unapproved drivers.

Gary King

Second Unit
Anyone that wants the look and feel of WinXP without purchasing the operating system might want to take a look at Litestep and WindowBlinds as shell replacements/enhancers for Explorer.
The biggest 'advantage' I can see for XP is the included DOS/Win98 emulator, which would improve compatibility with older games... but that's about it (and not worth the hassle, IMO).

Sean Trowbridge

Auditioning
I just want to correct a few misconceptions here.
You are given 30 days to validate your copy. I believe this applies if you change your hardware enough that windows thinks it was moved to a new PC as well. It doesn't "just stop working".
Validation is painless.
It prompts you (right after you install, then roughly weekly if you choose to wait).
You choose whether to validate now or wait until later. You then get a new dialog which asks you if you want to register with MS.
Just click no (assuming you don't want to).
You wait a few seconds.
It says "OK thank you".
You click "done".
No need to phone MS at all (unless you don't have a network connection.) No need to send any personal information (other than your serial number.)
Sean
[Edited last by Sean Trowbridge on August 27, 2001 at 03:35 AM]

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Sean,
Do you happen to work for Microsoft? The reason I ask is that I see you are from Redmond WA (close to Seattle, and the home of Nintendo of America, woohoo!).
For the time being, it might seem painless. But just wait till thousands of users are all trying to register or re-register their system at the same time.
What happens when Microsoft's systems go down? What if you are a major business, and you cant wait a day until Microsoft gets their shit in order?
The potential for problem is what upsets me. What pisses me off is that all of this isn't necessary.

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
What are the advantages of moving from Win2000 to WinXP?
I made the leap from Win98 to Win2000 about 18 months ago, and haven't looked back. It took me a while though to get drivers etc for my equipment. It's only recently that hardware and software manufacturers are starting to talk about Win2000 compatability.
My machine works very well now, and I don't think I can face another major upgrade with limited drivers etc. for little advantages.
The activation issue sounds like a pain too. I use Office on my desktop and my laptop, but I can only use one copy at a time so in my view I'm not breaking the license agreement (I may be wrong).
I don't agree with software piracy, but why did Microsoft bother? Pirated/hacked versions of software will always exist, and there will always be people willing to use them. Even now there are cracks for the activation key for Office XP (and no I don't use them).
Wouldn't a USB dongle or something similar have been an easier way to copy protect their product? That way you can take the dongle with you when you use XP on your laptop and return it when you come to work on your desktop.
------------------
My HT My DVD Collection

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks