Is anyone looking forward to Sims 2?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Mark Giles, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Mark Giles

Mark Giles Second Unit

I cant wait!!!

[​IMG]

2. James T

James T Screenwriter

I can't wait either. I preordered the DVD version from EB, so hopefully by tomorrow night, I'll be playing it.

I played the first one for years and even creating skins and objects were fun too.

3. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Me too! I've got it preordered at EB as well. [​IMG]

Now I just hope my system can handle it! I may have to upgrade a bit. [​IMG]

4. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

I admit, I had a very condescending attitude towards The Sims for a long time, but when I finally broke down and played it, I found it to be a lot of fun.

Reading the pre-release articles got me excited about the sequel, particularly the A.I. that has been developed -- looks like this will have some of the most advanced A.I. ever to appear in a PC game.

Also, the idea that characters can procreate and pass on genetic traits to their offspring sounds fascinating.

5. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

I kinda thought it was a silly idea at first myself Rob.

Then I tried it out, and when I wearily stumbled away from my desk 12 hours later ... mumbling about wall-coverings and self-flushing toilets...well you know. [​IMG]

6. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I actually never got into the sims. I tried it when it first came out, I just never got that interested.

My wife is looking forward to this one though. Rather than start on the original, she decided to just wait for the sequel. Not sure how well it'll run on my Radeon 7500 though-I think I'm just barely scraping out the minimums now...

7. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Chris,

When I first tried the game, I raided the used game shelf for several cheap expansion packs. I can say that the game is MUCH more fun with the expansion packs than by itself. The original game seems like it would be very mundane and boring - but the packs all include silly and/or outrageous content.

8. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I'm looking forward to it because it helped justify my video card upgrade to my wife [​IMG] She's gonna have it release day. She's got my old Athlon 1.1ghz Thunderbird and 64MB Radeon 7200...or is it 7000? Anyway, it didn't have a number when I bought it - first Radeon board.

My 8500 has some weird problem right now. I'm going to try shifting it to Stacey's PC when I get my 9800pro (enroute), and see if the problem clears up (she gets my hand-me-downs). Otherwise I'll probably buy her a 9200 or something - I think her current Radeon is the bare minimum spec (first gen T&L card).

9. Jeff_Standley

Jeff_Standley Supporting Actor

Yes this game should be alot of fun. I liked the first one alot and all of the expansion packs that followed with it too. I havent read much on the new one but said I would get it when they announced it so I imagine I'll be nicley surprised with the end results of the new game when I buy it in a few days.

10. James T

James T Screenwriter

Canda vs Finland is just about to start and EB calls me to tell me that Sims 2 AND Fable have both come in and are waiting for me.

Talk about a dilemma. I know I'm gone during intermission, but once I get the games...which one to place. Both are pretty much RPGs and technically I could play both since my tv is right beside my computer...

Ah, screw intermission...I'm off to EB now.

11. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

I'm usually not a first in line for PC games, they are notoriously buggy at release with major patches within weeks, and also have price drops within a couple months. But, today, I look at the Fry's ad, and Sims 2 CD or DVD versions (and Xbox's Fable) are only $34.99 on the release day.

12. Mark Giles

Mark Giles Second Unit

What does the DVD version add?

13. James T

James T Screenwriter

Straight from the box....

I haven't had a chance to view it yet.

A question for those who bought a DVD version of a game before...does it normally take awhile to load? When I was installing the game, it took a couple minutes for the Installation menu to pop up. It also takes about a minute from when I double click the desktop icon before the game actually loads up.

14. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Well, doubtless the DVD edition exists due to the fact that the CD edition is on FOUR DISKS! [​IMG] I know because I picked it up last night! [​IMG]

My poor old computer had a tough time installing it, but it's actually running fairly smoothly! (I'm running a P3-733!) Of course, I have some of the graphics options turned down, but it's pretty darned smooth, although slow to load. Dammit.. gonna hafta upgrade. [​IMG]

That all being said, it's pretty damn cool!!! [​IMG]

15. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

So I created my first sim, "Johnny Bravo" (no relation to the cartoon)... he's an updated version of a favorite sim I made in the first game.

Johnny is a womanizing slob... so he's into the "slacker" career and wants nothing but romance & "woohoo". [​IMG] Johnny has a nice pompador-style haircut and a goatee. He wears black, usually with a shirt unbuttoned to his navel.

Ironically, he doesn't seem to be doing too well with the ladies. Could be that he never cleans his house, or his shower. (ick!)

He DID manage to get a good-looking red-head to fall for him, but while he was able to make-out with her, and even got her to spend the night, there was no "woo-hoo" to be had anywhere. They made out and cuddled on Johnny's bed, and went to sleep. Then she got up in the morning and scurried outta there before he woke up.

A couple of woo-hoo-less days later, a cute blonde showed up on his doorstep. They took an instant dislike to one-another, not totally sure why. By the end of the slap-and-poke filled "visit", they actually got into a knock-down drag out fight. [​IMG]

Johnny is a little depressed these days...

Johnny Bravo.. ladies man. NOT.

I'm loving the motivations and wants and fears. Certainly adds more depth to the game.

16. Kevin Porter

Kevin Porter Supporting Actor

Today? Today being the 15th or the 14th? I'm in the Houston area and I just went through the entire newspaper for the 14th and couldn't find it.

17. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

Well, central time zone, it's today, the 15th, about 8:10pm right now. My Fry's puts ads in Sundays, Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays paper.

18. Mark Giles

Mark Giles Second Unit

Yes, I installed the four CD's on my laptop in about 15 minutes.

And when I ran the program for the first time......from the time I double-clicked to the time I started playing....it took about 15 minutes. [​IMG]

Anyway, I only played it for about 10 minutes. Navigating was a little tricky in the beginning but the gameplay is so much better than the first. I like the zoom in feature and the much improved graphics. I cant wait to really sit down and start my own sim from scratch.

19. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Tried this at a friend's place the other day, and I suppose that it could be interesting.

Has anyone else noticed that the wall building tool doesn't work though? It says that I'm supposed to be able to just click and drag a wall somewhere, but nothing happens...

20. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Question:

What kind of hardware are you guys using?

I just did a graphics card upgrade last night. Prior to the upgrade, I was running my Athlon 1800+ with a slightly flaky 64MB Radeon 8500 (non-le) and 512MB PC2700 DDR. My wife was playing on my PC...her PC wasn't compliant with the video card requirement (it's a 1.1ghz Athlon, it had a 64MB Radeon 7000). Funny story: It crashed so badly that it wouldn't boot again for about 10-15 minutes (must have stressed out the power supply or something).

Anyway, prior to the upgrade I guess the game was working well (8500 & 1800+). I did my upgrade to a 9800pro (whoo hoo!) and gave my 8500 to Stacey. The game runs beautifully on my system (not that I am going to play it much).

But on the wife's system, it chokes. All settings are turned down, and the resolution is turned down to 800x600. Load time is VERY lengthy (15 minutes +). To be expected from the Sims.
    But the game itself is very very laggy - not even playable.

She's now got a 1.1ghz Athlon (T-bird), Radeon 8500, and like 384MB of PC133 RAM. I'm trying to figure out the bottleneck. It seems like the video card. Any input?