What's new

Is anyone going to beat the Oklahoma Sooners(College Football)? (1 Viewer)

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
I think Michigan's ranking is a little too high as well. The Big Ten is not that strong this year, and UofM lost to their only tough non-conference opponent -- Washington.
I respectfully disagree, Scott. Michigan's defense has played very well this year (they were in the top ten nationally against the run). The offense has been suprisingly good with a young offensive line and Askew and Walker rising to the challenge of losing David Terrell and the A-Train.
The Washington game was in the bag if not for a blocked field goal attempt (in gimme range) that was returned some 80 yards for a touchdown. They dominated that game statistically. Said game was also on the road.
GO BLUE!
icon14.gif

------------------
The Dark Tower
jamaris1.jpg

Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)?

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
quote: I forget his name, but I am curious what the frequent poster who has the hokie in his signature thinks of the game?
I would assume you mean me.
Before I get to the Syracuse game, let me give you a little background from the Bost College Game. I was beginning to feel that VT was overrated after going to see them play against Boston College. (If you want a definition of a fan, I drove 1,500 miles round trip to see this game!) They played an incredible 8 minutes and the score was 21-0. But then they relaxed and didn't play the rest of the game and almost let Boston College back into the game. It's almost as if the Hokies have bought into their own hype and believe that they can't be beaten.
Ok. Now Syracuse. First, let me give it to the Syracuse team for playing a mistake free football game and for taking advantage of the opportunities that were given to them. Thus said, the Hokies still should have won this game. They had cut the lead to 20-14 and had plenty of time to score. However, I offense just stinks. I really hope that they give Randall more snaps at quarterback. Noel just isn't the kind of quarterback that the (then) #4 team of the nation needs.
But lets back up. I knew that we were in trouble when VT gave up a punt return for a touchdown. Anyone that knows anything about VT football, knows that VT puts an emphasis on special teams. Most of our regular players also play on special teams. For us to give up a special teams touchdown is very rare. To me, this looked like someone missed their responsibility on the return. There were absolutely no VT defenders in the middle of the field. Oh well, I can live with this and it was a nice run back.
However, on the ensuing kickoff, the VT player fielded a kick off that was heading out of bounds at the 3 yard line and then promptly stepped out of bounds. So instead of starting the next drive on the 35 yard line, we are starting on the 3 yard line. Then, Kevin Jones fumbles. OK, a fumble isn't the worse thing in the world. But, he fumbled near the side lines and instead of just kicking the ball out of bounds and retaining possession, he tries to fall on it. It squirts through his legs and gives Syracuse the ball on VT's 17 yard line. Arg! You have to be smarter than that.
I have two major complaints about this game. First, is Grant Noel. He is just not a big time quarterback. He took several sacks (including the safety that sealed the game!) that were unnecessary. If you have 5 or 6 seconds of protection you should be able to get rid of the ball. He is so immobile that he cannot get out of the pocket when it starts to collapse. Also, he doesn't step up in the pocket and throw the ball. It's like he's afraid of getting hit.
Second, our offensive play calling was abysmal. Facing a third down and three inside of Syracuse's 20 yard line, they call an option play that hands the ball to the fullback. What are they thinking? That play rarely gets more than a yard!! Call something that will net you the needed three yards. A wide receiver screen would have been a good call here. Speaking of wide receivers, why didn't we throw a single ball at one until the third quarter?
All and all, it was just frustrating because they still had a chance to win the game and they didn't come through. It is doubly frustrating because all they had to do was to win to control their own destiny to the Rose Bowl. UCLA, Oklahoma, Maryland, and Washington State all lost and that would have left Nebraska, Miami, and VT with VT playing Miami at home on December 1.
Oh well. Maybe I will finally get my wish and Beamer will leave.
biggrin.gif
Note, this post was not to take away from Syracuse but told from a Hokie point of view.
(VT over UM, that is).
I wouldn't bet against the Hokies. I think this was a wake up call to come out and take everyone seriously. They were coasting along looking at that December 1 date as if it were the whole season. We won't make the Rose Bowl, but look for an inspired VT team to come out and look to spoil Miami's season. Also, VT has a bye before this game, while Miami has a reschedule game against Washington. That's not going to be an easy game for them either.
------------------
photo11.jpg

Adrian Jones
[Edited last by AdrianJ on October 29, 2001 at 11:50 AM]

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I respectfully disagree, Scott. Michigan's defense has played very well this year (they were in the top ten nationally against the run). The offense has been suprisingly good with a young offensive line and Askew and Walker rising to the challenge of losing David Terrell and the A-Train.
I'm a big Michigan fan, too, Jeff. However, the offense has relied on a lot of gimmick plays to move the ball, and the running game has not been good. Askew is a fullback trying to play halfback, while Chris Perry has been a disappointment. The offensive line breaks down a lot (it's young and inexperienced). Marquis Walker has been the one bright spot on offense. I do agree that the defense has been solid -- a big improvement over last year.
I think Lloyd Carr has done a great job of coaching this year to get as much out of this team as he has, considering the loss of offensive talent from last year. Not only did they lose Thomas and Terrell, but four offensive lineman from last year are starting in the NFL now, plus their very talented QB is playing in the Yankee organization (another reason to hate the Yankees).
While UofM outplayed Washington and lost, it balances out since they were outplayed by Iowa last weekend and won.
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 2

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
By the way, not that I am biased or anything, but the biggest happening in college football on Saturday was JoePa winning number 324 in Penn State's 29-27 come-from-behind victory over Ohio State. I was there. What a game and what a scene afterwards. Way to go Joe. :)
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Patrick, truthfully, Bowden probably will surpass JoePa, although Joe has not talked at all about hanging it up. It's just that Bowden has a better team. JoePa is still JoePa, however. :)
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
I'm glad that JoePa set the record before Bowden could get there. Honestly, Bowden will eventually hold the record. Unfortunately, JoePa hasn't been able to recruit well lately. Kevin Jones going to VT was just one more example of them losing a prospect they thought they would have.
------------------
photo11.jpg

Adrian Jones

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
JoePa is a class person and it was nice to see him get the record (although he will hold it briefly). However, Paterno needs to retire. Penn State's program has been going downhill for years, and he has a big disadvantage in recruiting. Every other coach uses the tactic "you don't think Paterno will be there for your entire four years, do you?". Also, I think Penn State has a more difficult time in recruiting since joining the Big Ten. They have a harder time convincing East Coast recruits to come there to play in a Midwestern conference, while the Midwest recruits don't really want to go east to Happy Valley. When PSU played all those eastern teams, it was easier to recruit eastern talent.
------------------
My DVD Collection

PhilipW

Second Unit
New BCS Poll
1. Nebraska
2. Oklahoma
3. Miami
How pissed off are the people in Miami? They haven't lost a game, they're #1 in both polls but #3 in the money poll. I could also see Oklahoma and Nebraska playing for the National Title if Oklahoma can beat Nebraska in the Big 12 title and Miami losing to Virginia Tech, or Syracuse.
How many people are going to scream for a playoff if this scenario comes true?
Actually, being an Oklahoma State fan, I hope we can go into Norman and beat Oklahoma. Yeah right
laugh.gif

Baskeball starts in a couple of weeks. :)
------------------

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor
John T-
As for the Tenn/Cuse game, Yeah, the score ended up a blow out, but anyone who watched that game would know that the Cuse was really in it into the fourth quarter...The score got a bitt inflated at the end of the game. We played you guys close for 3 quarters.
Adrian-
Don't be too hard on VT. Good to hear your thoughts on the game. I have to admit, I was getting nervous towards the end of the game. However, do know that SU was absolutely positively playing the second half "not to lose." We were way going more for ball control (i.e., 7 minute drives, etc) than for scoring. The Cuse coaches (and rightly so, IMHO) had confidence in the D that the existing lead would hold.
However, don't be too critical of your offense. Noel will be fine, and this game will only help you guys in the Miami game. Believe it or not, our defense IS really good, and you guys were still able to move the ball on us even with our D. Granted your rushing attack was subpar on Saturday, but I honestly don't think you'll face a defense that it better this year on your schedule (not to toot the Cuse's horn).
Gotta run to class, but great game. Just chalk another classic up in what has really become our biggest rival in the Big East...god, so many unforgettable games in this series: McNAbb to Brominski, 62-0, Vicks run for a TD in the Dome last year, last saturday....
Here's to good luck the rest of this season and we'll see you in the Dome next year!
--Tom

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
While a Nebraska - OU matchup in the Rose Bowl would make the BCS a farce (who wants to see the same two teams play three times in a college season), these things usually work themselves out before the end of the season. If Miami goes unbeaten, they should move up by adding Virginia Tech and Syracuse to their list of opponents.
I'm amazed that Michigan has the third toughest schedule, since two of their non-conference games were against Mid America Conference teams and the Big Ten is having a down year. Meanwhile, the Pac 10 has five teams ranked at 6 through 12 in the BCS. The rankings are very bizarre.
------------------
My DVD Collection

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Regarding the TN/Syracuse game, I believe it was fairly close through 3 quarters but the last quarter is where TN picked it up. If anyone knows about playing the full 60 minutes, it's TN fans; 46 seconds and 2 points are all that's between us and a top spot in the BCS. (Well, that and the ESPN-affiliated writers)
Miami fans have nothing to be angry about except for the fact that their AD set up such a weak schedule. They haven't played anyone of import. That's what gets me about Michigan being ahead of Tennessee. Michigan scoots by Iowa by 6, Tennessee beats South Carolina by 7 (who was #13 at the time) - Michigan stays ahead. ?
Oh, did you hear about the Hokies and their claim that Syracuse was cheating on their kicks? Here's the article:
According to the Syracuse Post-Standard, one Virginia Tech coach noted while watching film that the Orangemen plant a sucker stick-first into the ground on every kick. The coach, Hokie associate head coach Billy Hite, didn't say that Syracuse holder Jared Jones was putting the ball on the sucker -- and basically using it as a tee -- or that he was using it as a guide.
How the heck does that work anyhow?
------------------
My Top 10 Movies http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/005503-6.html#146

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad that JoePa set the record before Bowden could get there. Honestly, Bowden will eventually hold the record.
As a dyed-in-the-wool Nole fan born in Tallahassee to two parents also born in Tallassee, and conceived during their senior years at Florida State and attending nearly every home game from 1972 until we moved to Houston in 1981, I'm also happy that JoePa got there first. It's been so painful seeing him suffering through this season and taking shit from people who seem to have amazingly forgotten everything he's brought to Happy Valley.
Yes, I expect Bowden will pass him up in the next couple of seasons, but I hope the two of them coach at least another five seasons with a friendly Sammy Sosa/Mark McGuire sorta rivalry between them. When they leave the game, it'll be like Magic and Bird leaving basketball: the end of a golden era.
Wouldn't it be great if Penn St. and Florida St. were on each other's schedules for some head-to-head competition in the coming years? Ah well....
As for Miami, they should add Florida to their schedule in place of, oh I don't know, say Troy St? Florida St. has had both Miami and Florida on their schedule for decades. If Miami wants to prove itself, it doesn't need to look further than its neighbors up in Gainsville. With the addition of that program to their schedule, I don't think they'll ever have to worry about getting dinged, BCS-wise, for playing the NCAA weaklings. And it's absurd that all the major college teams in Florida don't play one another. I mean, the 'Canes aren't yeller, are they? And, for that matter, are the Gators game?
(Of course, the Gators have a much tougher conference schedule than Miami - credit where it's due.)

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
OK. I was going to save this post until tomorrow because I thought it would be cool to have post #666 on Halloween, but it's football and I just can't be quiet.
biggrin.gif

quote: However, don't be too critical of your offense. Noel will be fine,
I don't think so and I'm just not being picky here. He just doesn't have the arm strength to get the ball down the field. In the first six games, he has yet to hit a receiver in stride more than 20 yards down the field. That allows teams to come up and stack the line. We could cope with Noel, if the play calling were a little different and they would utilize wide receiver screens and get the ball more to the tight ends. (We have two excellent tight ends that are just going to waste.
quote: McNAbb to Brominski, 62-0, Vicks run for a TD in the Dome last year, last saturday....
Here's to good luck the rest of this season and we'll see you in the Dome next year!
Syracuse has definately become the most bizarre series that we are playing in the Big East. I remember the McNabb pass is a game that Tech look destined to win in the dome. I was in San Francisco for the 62-0 game. You guys were just cursed that day. I honestly don't think that we were trying to run up the score, but we just couldn't help scoring. I think they were taking volunteers from the stands in that game.
biggrin.gif
However, Syracuse isn't our biggest Big East rival. That would be West Virginia and it's only because that series dates back a long ways. It is just happenstance that they ended up in the Big East together.
quote: If Miami goes unbeaten, they should move up by adding Virginia Tech and Syracuse to their list of opponents.
Don't forget Washington either. If it weren't for September 11th and the cancelled week of games, Miami's strength of schedule would look a little better because they would have played both FSU and Washington. How were they to know four years ago when they made the schedule that Penn State would be so bad and it's a relative down year for FSU.
quote: saw that claim of cheating by VT against Syracuse. The big question is -- how can someone stick a lollipop stick into artificial turf?
The game was at Blacksburg and VT plays on natural grass. I'm still not sure how this would work, but I've never known our coaches to make wild accusations. They must have saw something they thought wasn't right.
------------------
smallhb.jpg

Adrian Jones
[Edited last by AdrianJ on October 30, 2001 at 09:37 AM]

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
Isn't Colorado in general known for cheating at football.
biggrin.gif
AKA, the infamous 5th down and goal?
------------------
smallhb.jpg

Adrian Jones

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
Yeah, give them (Colorado) 5 downs and of course they'll take part of my Jackets only recent national championship. And no, I'm not bitter.
------------------
hfb.jpg

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks