What's new

Is anyone going to beat the Oklahoma Sooners(College Football)? (1 Viewer)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
When the BCS polls come out they'll be number 1. They've won 20 straight games and Stoops(the coach) has never lost to a top 10 team.
Why aren't they number 1?
Who is going to beat them?
The First question is kinda strange as they have had to prove they were the best team all this year. I guess the polls really don't matter and the BCS poll does which makes them number 1 by a long shot.
2nd question is probably going to be answered by several folks including next weeks' opponent(ie Nebraska at Nebraska). For one, I'm excited about this game because it is one of the best rivalries around. Regardless of your tendancies to root for which team this will be a great game if not the best of the year.
Their next opponents are Tulsa(/yawn), Texas A&M(rather difficult but at home atleast), Texas Tech(road game but still not much of an opponent), and Oklahoma State(no chance of beating OU).
IF and when all goes well they will play in the Big 12 championship game(probably Nebraska again or Colorado).
IMHO the National title game will be OU vs maybe UCLA if not Florida(Stoops' previous job).
Oklahoma has a large win streak previously so this is not a far fetched suggestion that they might do the same. It's scary to admit that a large percentage of their team is sophomores and juniors
eek.gif

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
frown.gif

Poor TU 1-5
------------------
Check out my new Home Theater site and my NEW HT 6.1 Pic's at Link Removed
Join my new Yahoo "Club Enormodome" for LIVE HT and DVD chats at: Link Removed

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
I feel sorry for TU, their coach has so much heart, too bad he can't be out on the field playing. Honestly I hope OU gets beat by the Huskers, as I am tired of all the fairweather OU fans. If OU wins another title this year, it will be real hard for them to keep Stoops, they are already scraping the bottom of the bucket to find money for the guy to stay there.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
BTW, I never knew there was this many Tulsa people, maybe we should plan a meet sometime.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Wow!!! People on the HTF talking about college football?
biggrin.gif

For my 2 cents, I think that for the Sooners to make it to the Rose Bowl, two things must happen.
1. Sooners beat Nebraska
- I think this one will be a little closer than last year. I don't know who'll win, but the Sooners won't have that easy of a time this time around. Nebraska's passing is no longer anemic like it was last year.
2. Sooners win the Big XII title game
- This one's a given. This assumes, of course, that scenario #1 takes place.
Personally, I think Stoops should stick around and keep adding to the dynasty that Oklahoma is. Just for the sake of argument, I don't think he's going to leave. As a hypothetical scenario, who would want to go to, say, the Washington Redskins?
------------------
"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson
"Stranger things have happened..." - Wes Deskins
"It's not Pikeville, Kentucky. It's Pikevool!!! And it's not Louisville, it's Loolvool!!! Get it right, damnit!!!"
My DVD Collection

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Personally, I think Stoops should stick around and keep adding to the dynasty that Oklahoma is.
I honestly believe that he wants the record for most consecutive games won that is being held by another Sooner coach. I believe the record is 48 straight.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Check out my sig.
wink.gif

Seriously, I have high hopes for this year's team. It's not like the McNown teams where we had an all-world offense and a Pop Warner level defense. We're bringing it on both sides of the ball this year.
Unfortunately we now enter our toughest stretch of the season. UCLA plays at Stanford (who just downed Oregon and snapped a 23 game home winning streak for the Ducks) and then off to Washington State (7-0). Then we get to host Oregon, who will be pissed at losing their first game of the season. And then our rivals at USC field a good team and the game doesn't always follow the teams' records. Then our makeup game against ASU, well, UCLA remembers what happened in the last makeup game we had (Miami in 1998).
If UCLA is fortunate enough and good enough to win the last 5 games of the season, I think they have earned the right to play in the Rose Bowl.
Regardless, we do have a good team, and we're bowl bound, so that's an accomplishment. But you can tell the team is definitely setting their sights on a higher prize this year.
Good luck to all of you alma maters (unless they're playing my alma mater)!
------------------
Link Removed
DeShaun for De-Heisman! Go Bruins!

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
UCLA is definitely going to playing someone for the national championship. And I'm not just saying that because I go there...although it does play heavily into my decision
wink.gif

We have one of the best defenses in the country, AND, like Carlos just said, our offense is pretty damn good as well. For the first time in quite awhile we're amazing on both sides of the ball.
quote: And then our rivals at USC field a good team and the game doesn't always follow the teams' records.[/quote]
Can't wait for that game! Hopefully I won't get too drunk...I'd like to remember the actual game for once :)
------------------
www.DigitalHoard.com
Petition: get Family Guy released on DVD!
[Edited last by Joe_C on October 22, 2001 at 02:47 AM]

Calvin Cullen

Stunt Coordinator
Nebraska has the best chance of beating the Sooners this year. Eric Crouch causes serious matchup problems for any defense, even OU's. Remember the field day K-State's freshman quarterback had in Norman? Still, Stoops' team is battle-hardened and their big-game experience should be the difference.
Oklahoma State(no chance of beating OU)
Well, we almost beat them in last year's Bedlam matchup. Anything can happen.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Yep, with a Bedlam game you never know what is going to happen.
Who knows, maybe Tulsa will somehow beat them??? It COULD happen.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Funny story...a few years back, I made a bet with my roommate that TU would win over OU (his alma mater).
Towards the end of the game, we revised the bet to state that TU would score a touchdown...or a field goal.
I lost.
But I still gotta root for my alma mater.
patriot.gif
patriot.gif
patriot.gif

- Steve
P.S.: I don't actually live in Tulsa anymore. I got out as soon as I could.
biggrin.gif

JustinT

Stunt Coordinator
I also think the Rose Bowl game is going to be OU vs UCLA this year. I've been watching UCLA football for about the past 5 years and this is definately the most well rounded team we have had. UCLA has got some really tough games coming up (I will be driving up to Stanford to lend my support next week), so if UCLA finishes the season undefeated I think it would be a crime not to send them to the Rose Bowl. As long as the team stays healthy (Foster, Paus, Thomas, our secondary) I think that UCLA has the best chance of anyone to end OU's streak. It should be very interesting to see what happens though, I have kinda gotten used to having my hopes shattered by UCLA not living up to expectations...
------------------
My DVD's

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
P.S.: I don't actually live in Tulsa anymore. I got out as soon as I could.
I used to think Oklahoma was the worst place you could live at, but lately I have just been thinking its one of the worst places you could live!
Tulsa's a good place to live if you don't like art, theater, concerts, culture, etc
Tulsa's great if you like country music, mexican food, ummmmm, ummmmmm, thats it.

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Let's go Penn State! Have to root for my alma mater, even if they're not having a bowl-worthy year. A little misguided loyalty is better than no loyalty at all!
They did look good on Sat. vs Northwestern - maybe this is the start of their turnaround! At the very least I hope they get one more "W" so JoePa gets the victory record (before Bowden breaks it).
(edited to correct some really stupid spelling errors)
------------------
Scott
[Edited last by Scott-C on October 22, 2001 at 03:45 PM]

PhilipW

Second Unit
Oklahoma State has a real decent shot at beating ou.
I mean look at all the players we have. We have the 2nd best receiver in the Big 12, 3rd best in the nation, oops same player, and we have um...OK never mind the players.
We have this great coach we hired... um never mind about that.
Um...OK we're going to get spanked.
Carlo,
The Bruins come to Stillwater next year to spank us too, along with Texas A&M, Nebraska, OU and a couple of other teams. What a great home schedule we have.
eek.gif

Go Pokes
------------------
P.S. When does basketball start?
[Edited last by PhilipW on October 22, 2001 at 05:14 PM]

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Phillip that is the most ridiculous schedule I've ever seen
eek.gif

I'm glad you see the light about the pokes in Football
biggrin.gif

Now on the basketball front The pokes are quite good. Ou isn't too shaby either. Let the fun begin!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Philip,
Well, your team shouldn't have to worry about the BCS Strength of Schedule coefficient next year. That's got to be one of the toughest I've seen in a long time. Don't fear the Bruins too much. They lose: DeShaun Foster, Kenyon Coleman, Robert Thomas, Marques Anderson, Ryan Nece, Jason Stephens, and some linemen on both sides of the ball. Next year we'll be lucky to be a top 20 team.
And as big a Bruin supporter as I am, I still have to respect our upcoming schedule of Stanford, WSU, Oregon, USC (always tough) and ASU (just spanked Oregon State, but who hasn't?). Miami and VTech shouldn't sweat it because the chances of both UCLA and Oklahoma/Nebraska going undefeated are pretty slim. Someone's going to drop a game due to the tough matchups. If there's anything that's true in this BCS race, it's that if the team takes care of business, the BCS will take care of the team. Think if Miami wouldn't have lost that game last year, then they, not Florida State, would have been in the championship game.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Tulsa's a good place to live if you don't like art, theater, concerts, culture, etc
Tulsa's great if you like country music, mexican food, ummmmm, ummmmmm, thats it.
Tulsa has good Mexican food now? Wow!
biggrin.gif

This brings to mind an interview I had at Conoco up in Ponca City, back when I was still in school and trying to find a job.
"What do you do here on weekends?"
"We go to Tulsa!"
(Cough, cough) "Would you excuse me, please?"
Ah well...you can always drive to Dallas to get some kulture.
biggrin.gif

- Steve

Users who are viewing this thread