What's new

Is anyone friends or know a celebrity? (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I am not asking for names. But, a few of my friends were talking about this while watching a baseball game. We wondered how a celebrity meets new friends (who aren't in the business)? How do they know if they want to be friends because they get along or because they are a celeb? On a similar note. My friends son goes to the same school as Bruce Springsteen's son. And you have to wonder when this kid meets someone. How does he know they just being friends with them because they like him or because his dad is Bruce Springsteen?

So I am curious if anyone here is friends or knows a celeb pretty well that might be able to answer this? And I am not including people who knew a celeb before they were big.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
A business relationship is one way.

You provide some service and do a good job. The celeb in question keeps coming back. Over time, you become more and more friendly to the point where you are exchanging birthday gifts and getting invited to their wedding.

-Keith

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I have a distant cousin, who is somewhat a celebrity. His name is Clyde King (do a Google search). I've met him once, so we're not really "friends". Just kinda neat knowing he's in the family...........
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Being as we are reaching here... My sister studies gorillas in Africa. She has been in a few documentaries on TV and in magazines. No paparazzi though, so I guess she is not a celebrity.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Shelly Fabres used my name in a song a couple of years ago...ok, maybe it's more than a couple of years

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Kind-of a different subject but I'm related to Evelyn Ankers, the scream queen of the Golden Age of Hollywood.

I don't personally know anyone famous however.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
One of my cousin's friends is a good friend of John Cho (Harold and Kumar).

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
Todd, I don't know how old Springsteen's son is, but I would hazard the guess that most kids don't know/care about the Bruce. And if they do, it's an abstract kind of thing. If they like the son, it's for his own qualities as a person.

I have a friend whose kids attend school in the LA area, and they know the children of a fair amount of actors, producers, musicians, etc. While they might think it's cool that so-and-so is Big Star's son, if he's a creep, they avoid him. For the most part -- from what I hear -- these kids don't make a big deal about who their parents are, and act like normal, nice people.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Well, thread rules are always getting broken, aren't they?

It's been years ago now but my niece used to be really well known when we lived in Kansas.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
My brother used to jam sometimes with Jerry Garcia and Billy Kreutzman. They wanted him to play in a band they were forming but my father put his foot down and absolutely forbid it, saying there was no future in such a band.

The band is known as The Greatful Dead.

When I was an engineer at Lockheed, one of my draftsmen was Chuck Yeager's kid.

When I studied 'cello, my teacher was a student of William Van den Berg, who was a student of Pablo Casals. Van den Berg was the principal cellist under Stoki when Fantasia was filmed and shows up in several scenes. Heck I took a class from him at UCSC years ago.

My good friend since high school used to work for Ernest and Julio Gallo. Is that about the same thing? :laugh:

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams
I made a movie (well short mockumentary) with Doug E. Doug in it, called Slapboxing: The Quickness of the Hand. He lives just down the street from the high school. That turned out well.

I also knew a kid that was the cousin of Rob Thomas's wife. He went to his wedding to her and brought pictures to us to show.

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams

He was in a bunch of Disney movies in the 90's...Cool Runnings...That Darn Cat...he was also a voice in Shark Tale, and also in the revival of Cosby. Not a *huge* celebrity, but he has some name recognition.

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
This is an interesting question because it points towards how our social circles are structured. Just about everyone knows someone who knows someone who's famous, but so far it seems no one here can say they are friends with a famous person.

I have a pretty limited social circle on a day-to-day basis: family, work, neighbors, and friends. I would guess if I added up all the people that know me by name throughout my whole life, the number would only be a few hundred--extended family, former classmates, members of organizations I belonged to over the years, etc. As for people I can currently call non-family "friends" (which I define as someone you could turn to when you needed a favor such as helping them move) I would put that number under 50.

Anyway, fame seems to be rare and fleeting, and also a tightly-knit group. Once famous, they probably have limited opportunities to interact outside of their circles. Heck, even non-famous people often complain about not having opportunities to meet new people. Ask anyone who is having trouble finding a proper mate.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
My brother went to a wedding of a friend of his from college. At the wedding were the Estevez's (Emilio & Charlie) and the Penn's (Sean, Chris). His friend grew up in a house next to the Estevez's and Penn's. So they became friends as kids. My wife who loves Emilio was pissed my brother didn't take her.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks