What's new

Is anyone else NOT watching the Oscars tonight? (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
After seeing three superior gay-themed films (one in English, one in French, and one with no spoken dialogue at all) totally shut out by Oscar for an inferior one, I have vowed not only am I not going to watch it this year, I will never watch it again.

I'm just going to watch another movie that Oscar shut out: Pete's Dragon. The real one, not that computerized in-name-only travesty. But even it was nominated for two Oscars, one of which (Best Song) it lost to "You Light Up My Life," an awful song by an awful man: Joseph Brooks, who later went on to lure women into his apartments on Craigslist to torture them. There is honor in losing to a good song like "Last Dance," which won the following year, but to THAT?

I may make a tradition of it: watching movies with no Oscars on Oscar night. Who else is holding an anti-Oscar party, and what do you do for it?

Last edited:

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Not me. I miss being interested in it. But I think I had more fun with the People Choices Awards way back when. Oscars gets more fishy every year. They should just give al the winners Hollywood walk of fame stars at the same time.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I lost interest a few years ago. I don’t see enough movies theatrically, let alone nominees, to connect to the awards.

And, perhaps too cynically, I see the awards as just a big TV commercial to promote ticket sales. I like movies and TV, but that doesn’t interest me right now.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'll check out the list of winners but I'm not going to specifically watch the show. At most, I'll tune in around 11:30 to see the Best Picture announcement. If I want to see a winner's speech, I'll look at it online tomorrow morning.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
We stopped watching some time ago. They celebrate FILMS and I watch MOVIES - Used to be the winners were great long lasting movies - not so much anymore. YMMV.

Funny how many people here skip Oscar but love movies.:popcorn:

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Never said celebrating Films was a bad thing - I just said I watch movies.
Film (academy) is all about artistic expression - movies are about entertainment. I prefer entertainment - if it happens to be art - so be it. My personal bias - not a judgement on anyone else. :popcorn:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
This year, we don't have cable, and quite frankly, in my opinion, naming the wrong film Best Picture, as it happened last year, was simply inexcusable.

CHEERS! :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I am not a fan of any awards show. I can check tomorrow to see who won what. My wife watches several of the shows, and will be watching tonight. I will be watching a movie instead.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Will pull out my laserdisc of Oscar's Greatest Moments 1971-1991 and watch that. Also will watch the TCM documentary And The Oscar Goes To (2014) burned on my dvd recorder.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I don't have the patience to sit for three and one-half hours of mostly commercials, bad musical and comedy segments when I can get some sleep and read all of the winners the next morning. Also I work nights. :lol:

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Not watching and haven't for quite awhile. Awards shows have gotten too political and we want to be entertained, not subjected to hours of Hollywood pushing whatever agenda is hot at the moment.

Plus, now that we're a generation or three past the glamour days when we could still see golden age greats as presenters or audience members it's lost some appeal for me. The class and elegance of that era is sorely missed.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I typically don't watch awards programs of any type and generally couldn't care less about who/what wins.

I sometimes use the Oscar winners list as a general guide for which movies (aka films - you say tomato, I say tomato) to avoid. I just look at brief synopsis of films (aka movies - see prior) and if it sounds interesting I watch it. If not, I don't. I may ask people whose opinion I trust what they thought. I don't trust, nor give much credence to, the opinion of "critics."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks