What's new

Is anyone else like this? (1 Viewer)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I never buy a dvd unless it's a movie I've seen and know I want to see again and again.

Actually, there are two exceptions to that rule. If I know it's a movie my wife loves, I'll buy it for her as a birthday or christmas present, etc. Most of the time, I end up enjoying those movies too (although there is that Anna of Green Gables monstrosity she likes). And if I haven't seen a theatrical Disney animated film (e.g., Atlantis), I'll buy those site unseen since I almost always like them (at least enough to rewatch), and even if not, I have an 18 month old son who'll most likely want to see them.

Will K

Screenwriter
My own personal policy on this is no. The only exceptions are Fight Club and The Convent, both of which I loved. Depends on director, too. For instance, I missed David Lynch's Mulholland Drive in theaters so it'll be part of my collection before my first viewing. On the other hand, I wish that I had bought Hedwig and the Angry Inch before spending money towards a rental.

Dave Barth

Stunt Coordinator
About half of my purchases are of movies I've never seen before. Interestingly, the few lousy ones I've gotten have all been contemporary Hollywood product...

Sites like allmovie.com rottentomatoes.com and others are very good at finding out if something has received bad, mixed, or positive critical response...

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
DVDs I have bought but never seen before purchase:
1) Crimson Tide :star: :star: :star:
2) Shrek :star: :star: :star: :star:
3) The Mummy :star: :star: :star: (new one)
4) The Mummy Returns :star:
5) Con Air :star: :star: 1/2 :star:
6) The Rock :star: :star: 1/2 :star:
7) La Belle et La Bete :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
8) Raging Bull 1/2 :star: (I hate boxing movies though I truly tried to like this)
9) Airforce One :star: :star: :star:
10) Avia :star: :star: :star: :star:
11) Snow White :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: (terrified my dad when he was a boy so never let me see it)
12) Austin Powers :star: :star: :star: :star:
13) Landmarks of Early Film :star: :star: :star: :star:
14) Bram Stoker's Dracula :star: :star: :star: 1/2 :star:
15) Men In Black :star: :star: :star: 1/2 :star:
16) Seven Samurai :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: (LOTR goes to Japan; awesome)
17) Seventh Seal :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
18) The World Is Not Enough :star: :star: :star:
19) Passion of Joan of Arc :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: (my favorite risk buy; earthshattering)
As you can see, I'm not afraid to take chances. In fact buying unknown quantities is soemthing of a pastime. My rule is every 3 months I can buy an unknown for whatever reason, either impulse or planned. When I do that I also buy a title I have seen but want. That way I don't feel totally gyped if the risk title turns out to be a dud.
I say try buying something you've never seen; particularly older titles. I find it's well worth it and helps open doors to the true kaleidescope of cinema.
Many thanks!
Jason

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I say try buying something you've never seen; particularly older titles. I find it's well worth it and helps open doors to the true kaleidescope of cinema.
The fact that I won't buy something I haven't seen shouldn't be construed to mean I don't watch movies I've never seen. I do all the time. I'm constantly recording films on my replay tv, and rent a movie about once a week. But I reserve purchases for movies I want to watch over and over. Maybe half of what I watch is good, but only 1 in 10 has rewatchability (and hence purchasability) for me.

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
I also rarely buy sight unseen. I have bought a few DVD's, like Roughnecks (Starship Troopers), but then I've always read several reviews before...

TheoGB

Screenwriter
I like to know that a movie I'm buying will have definite rewatch, so most of mine have been films I know I'll want to see again and again because I already have (if that makes sense :) )
I think I've bought only four or five movies I've never seen before on DVD and luckily I've enjoyed them all. (I have 68 titles now.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks