Is anyone else like this?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Whalen, Jan 25, 2002.

1. Dan Whalen

Dan Whalen Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone else not like buying movies that they have never seen before? I'm always leery (sp) about buying movies I've never watched before b/c I'm afraid I'll make the same mistake I did with Ghosts of Mars. Anyone else the same way?

Dan

2. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

Not if I love the writer/director/cast already! Otherwise I'll check it out before buying.
    I agree though, Ghosts of Mars was a pretty risky sight-unseen purchase!

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Well, I see enough movies in the theater that it doesn't happen often. [​IMG]
    It depends on the genre. I won't often do it with a recent theatrical release, but if it's anime or something else I wouldn't necessarily have had the opportunity to see previously, I'll plunge in. Sure, sometimes you pick up Tremors 3, but one Perfect Blue can make up for three of those.

4. Terrell

Terrell Producer

I'm like that. I rarely buy sight unseen. I've only done it once, and that was with Titan AE. I ended up liking it, but not loving it.

5. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I learned my lesson with Mission Impossible II. Blind purchase. What a pile of steaming.....
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

6. Rain

Rain Producer

I would say that at least 50% of the DVDs I buy are films I've never seen.

Quite often, I've been waiting for years to see it, but haven't due to lack of an acceptable presentation.

Of course, it's not likely I'll be running out tomorrow to buy Dude, Where's My Car? or American Pie II. Generally I look at the ingredients (cast, director, critical acclaim) and then decide if it adds up to a worthwhile risk.

7. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

I also buy a lot unseen, but like Rain I look at the cast/director. If it's a recent release that I haven't seen i'll check some reviews first, or i'll ask someone on the forum.

8. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I'm the same way as Rain too. I take Genre/Cast/Crew/Critques into account before the purchase. But still...I see so many movies, that usually I don't miss to many in theaters...and therefore don't buy many sight unseen.

9. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

10. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

I'm too much of a wuss to buy a movie sight unseen. What if I end up hating it? It would be too much hassle for me to find a place that would buy it from me or to put it up for trade or sale on this site.

Jon

11. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

Many years ago I use to go to lots and lots of movies. Now I don't, mostly because DVD and Home Theater, but people and prices are also factors. We all know what it costs to go see a movie so I won't go into that. When you are done seeing it (at the theater) all you have left is a memory. Of course then you can also make a decision to buy it or not when it comes to DVD.

If a DVD comes out, that I normally would have seen in a theater, I will generally buy it sight unseen. If I like it great, I saved money by never having seen it at the theater. If it stinks, I can always sell it (sometimes give it away) and it turns out to cost about the same or less than having seen it at the theater and not liking it. I base my decision to buy on my interest from the previews. Same as I use to base my decision to see a movie in the theater.

I never rent any more because it just plain sucks. More than half the DVD’s I use to rent were scratched and did not play right. Renting is only about 1/3 less than buying and if you like it enough to buy you’re out of more money.

12. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    Out of approximately 300 DVDs, only two were purchased unseen--Tora Tora Tora and Last of the Mohicans. I was fortunate in that I enjoyed both movies, but buying DVDs without screening the movie first is not something I wish do too often.

Most of the movies I see are in commerical theaters. If I miss a movie during its theatrical run, I will rent it. Nothing beats seeing movies in the commerical theaters for me. I really enjoy it.

13. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I used to buy alot of sight-unseen films. Not anymore. I caved into the rental demand. If it's a film I enjoy and want to see again, either I re-rent it or buy it outright and eat the cost of the first rental. However, if it doesn't leave an impression or is outright bad, I'm only out $4 rather than $20.

Bruce

14. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I usually don't buy movies I have never seen before because I have been burnt too many times by buying crap. There are the few odd times I have been lucky.

15. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I do this often, and i've gotten burned by it more often than not, but I just keep doing it, why? Who knows.
    The good thing though, if I buy a dvd that ends up sucking, I can always turn it in for credit at my local dvd source.

16. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Of the 64 DVD's I own, 26 are of films I've already seen either on VHS, TV, or in a theater.

The other 38 consists of reccomendations, gifts, and some I just felt like trying out.

My preference now is to see a movie first on DVD in the correct OAR. The Elephant Man came on AMC today in pan & scam, so I avoided it so the DVD would be fresher when I get it soon.

17. Dan Whalen

Dan Whalen Stunt Coordinator

I would like to start seeing lots of movies at the theater, but I don't have the time to do it. For the most part I like the majority of the movies that I watch, but there is that occasional one that I could care less for (like Ghosts of Mars). But most of the time I rent them before buying them. Just wondering what everyone else does.

Dan

18. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    It's more than rare for me to go to the movies and I've never rented a DVD so sight unseen is the only way I get new releases, but even my DVD purchases have been cut back by quite a bit in the last year or so. If I can't see myself taking the time to watch a title more than once over the next six months then I don't buy it. Between work, the net, X box, and any other extra curricular activities that are worthy of my attention time is hard to come by. With about 100 of the greatest films ever released already in my collection you have to be pretty good to get two views.

19. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

Only one of my movies that I bought I didn't care for, and that was Unbreakable. Maybe if I see it again, I'll like it more. Other than that, all the movies i bought sight unseen I loved.

20. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

I love to buy movies Ive never seen. Im always suprised.