What's new

Is anyone else into soy milk? (1 Viewer)

Mike Huay

Stunt Coordinator
I love this stuff! It tastes better on cereal than milk, and doesnt make me feel sick. Anyone else drink soy milk?

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
I've had a breakfast drink in Taiwan called dou-jyang. It's a "milk" made from soy beans, but I don't know if it's the same things as soy milk. The first time I had it I really didn't like it. But I developed a taste for it that had me craving it all the time. My cravings got so bad that I would buy my own soy beans and learned how to make it myself. Mmmmmmmm.... good stuff! Never had it on cereal though. Just drank it straight.
It's been a while since I've had it, so you could say I've been "weened," but I could sure go for a glass of it right now. ;)
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
My wife used to drink it. I can't stand it. Leaves a horrible aftertaste and doesn't go well at all with my Golden Grahams.

Yoshi Sugawara

Stunt Coordinator
You know, when my g/f bought soy milk I thought it was just some bad-tasting yuppy version of milk - but I really like it now!

The vanilla and chocolate soy milk is the best!

KyleS

Screenwriter
I have a friend that swears by the stuff for his family (4 kids & wife) but I never really liked the taste of it myself. Maybe it takes a little bit of getting used to?

KyleS

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Any favorite brands? I tried a bunch before settling on SILK soy milk. What are some others that I may (or may not) have tried?

So happy to be drinking something that isn't filled with bovine drugs! Now, if only I could kick the ice cream habit!

MC

Jason Handy

Second Unit
My wife swoons over the stuff (Silk), but I think it tastes chalky. And the color is just a wee bit off, making me feel like it is just past the expiry date...

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I love it, and I'm not lactose intolerant or a health nut. I go back and forth between soy milk and skim. Regular milk is just too heavy for me now.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Soy milk contains phytoestrogen/isoflavones which are a bit of a double-edged sword. They reduce 'bad' cholesterol and possibly the incidence of breast cancer in women by restricting the production of estrogen and progesterone. But this reduction can have side-effects in women such as fatigue, constipation, weight gain and heavy menstruation.

Soy is high in fibre, cholesterol-free and contains Omega-3 fatty acids and Vitamin E, but has also been shown to increase the aging of brain cells and can adversely affect thyroid hormone production. It also contains high levels of manganese and aluminium, which may (or may not) be bad for you.

Recommendations I have heard are no more than one glass a day, although I've never managed to acquire a taste for it myself.

Adam

FredHD

Stunt Coordinator
Being a vegan, I do not drink animal milk. Soy milk is much better tasting and better for you. The thing about soy milk being bad for men is malarky. The dairy conglomerate wants Americans to believe that soy milk is bad for you when in fact pretty much ALL scientific studies not performed by the dairy council or their affiliates shows that cow's milk is what is harmful, not soy milk.

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
Well said Jackson. If you really want to learn more about this(not that jacks statement was bad) I suggest a book called Diet For A New America. Very informative.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Which brand? Vitasoy (unsweetened) is the best for my taste

It's true about the double edged sword on soya milk. The thing is that EVERYTHING is a double edged sword.

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
I enjoy soy milk as well. If you can, get the unsweetend "purer" kind from a chinese grocery. I find that the chinese grocery soy milk is much cheaper, and doesn't have the sugar of more mainstream soymilk.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I'm a vegetarian (but not a vegan) and have tried soy milk. To me it has a funny aftertaste that I can only describe as sort of like a faint melon taste. I had to switch back to skim milk.

How is rice milk compared to soy milk?

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
But this reduction can have side-effects in women such as fatigue, constipation, weight gain and heavy menstruation.
I read this same thing in a study of baby formulas, comparing standard to soy-based.

Of course, I didn't find this out until AFTER we've been using soy-formula (at the recommendation of our doctor, due to my wife's lactose intolerance) for our daughter for the last few months.

I like regular (1% or 2%) milk. Soy smells and tastes funny to me- so does skim.

Todd

FredHD

Stunt Coordinator
That's right Brett. 'Diet for a New America' is something everyone should read. Granted, already knew about most of the information in there, but for people seeking the truth, it is the most comprehensive book available about food in America (and the world).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks