Is anyone else here petrified of Lightning?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Inspector Hammer!, Jun 3, 2002.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I sure as hell am!
    As an offshoot to the other Thunderstorm thread, i've decided to create this one as a counterpoint, I hope the creator of the other thread doesn't mind. [​IMG]
    I've found that ever since I was little, i've been afraid of lightning, and now as an adult, if i'm out walking (my main mode of transportation BTW) and it starts to get dark like a storm's coming in, I panic, and if it actually starts thundering and lightning while i'm out in it I CAN'T MOVE!! [​IMG] I truly mean that too, my muscles just completly freeze in intimidation and fear! It's the power that frightens me, being out in a thunderstorm, I can feel the electricity thick in the air around me, and not knowing if the next bolt has my name on it or not!
    I'm cool with it as long as i'm inside, that is the thing that has changed from when I was little. My brother, and even my parents tell me i'm nuts, i'm a complete wuss etc..., but I tell them "Well pardon me for being just a LITTLE intimidated by the sheer power and fury of mother nature!?"[​IMG]
    To me, it's foolish to just assume you'll be fine going out into a lightning storm, that's a very dangerous and reckless attitude to me, people get struck by lightning every season, it DOES happen, who's to say I won't be next? I'll tell you who say's, me! I will not get struck because I do not go out in lightning storms, period. I don't use the phone during them, and I don't watch t.v. either during them.
    Maybe I am a wuss, but at least i'm not a crispy fried one.

2. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I don't think I'd say I'm petrified, but I'm very aware of my surroundings when I'm out during a storm...making sure I stay away from trees and other structures that might be lightning magnets. Never used to give safety a second thought until two guys I went to grade school with were hit by a lightning strike. One of the guys was killed and the other is, for all intents and purposes, a vegetable. [​IMG]

3. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

when my girlfriend was younger she was on a plane by herself that got caught in a lightning storm. the experience scared her very badly and to this day she has a very difficult time flying in a plane, and whenever there's a bright flash of lightning it scares her to the point of crying.
    luckily we haven't been outside when a lightning storm came in, i'm not sure what would happen

4. Rob_J

Rob_J Stunt Coordinator

Mark, good thing you're in the prairies... you can see the storm coming the day before! [​IMG]
    Hope you don't mind the ribbing, just moved from Sask. a few months ago and have been putting up with jokes like that pretty much on a daily basis.
    Can't say I'm petrified of lightning, or even afraid of it. I'm actually slightly intruiged by it.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Hey, I'm an admin and I'm thread-crapping: I love lightning. Can't get enough of it here in California. When I was a kid, my sister and I were in the backyard when lightning struck a telephone pole in our yard's southernmost perimeter. We could feel the heat from it, and the thunderclap was instant and loud.

Love lightning. Love thunderstorms. Love tornadoes. Love violent weather. Majestic. Awe-inspiring. Magnificent. *BOOM!*

6. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Don't get my original post wrong guy's, I don't hate lightning, i'm just terrified of it that's all. I think that lightning is one of the most beautiful things that mother nature displays to us, I love looking at those photos taken by professionals of those HUGE lightning bolts that fork off into seemingly hundreds of directions!

Simply amazing.

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

John, while we may have many seemingly restrictive policies in place at HTF (they aren't, really), you are allowed to say you hate lightning if that's truly how you feel. Come on. Don't be afraid. Say it. "I hate lightning. It scares the beejeesus outta me."
    Feel better now? I knew you would. It helps to get things out in the open! [​IMG]

8. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I agree with Jack, Lightning and thunder are Awe-inspiring sights and sounds.
    I've was flat on my back watching and listening to a storm a few years ago ... I NEVER felt more alive[​IMG]
    Oh and by the way, the closest strike to me was about 30 feet! It was VERY cool!
    Brent

9. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    "Cool!"
    Cool!? Having a lightning bolt hit 30 feet from you is cool!? I would have dropped dead from fright if that happened to me! I mean what's your idea of a REAL good time, standing on the railroad tracks and waiting for an AM-Track to come and then jump out of the way at the last second!? [​IMG]

10. Jenna

Jenna Second Unit

My collie is afraid of lighting...

...but my 10 year old son and I just LOVE it! We love watching the lightning light up the sky!! Bring it on...

11. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I'm addicted to all that ozone generated by the storm. It does tend to give me headaches though.
    I'd guess that most of my "heightened" feelings during a storm are caused by the ozone...almost hyper-oxygenated.
    Pretty damn cool.
    To have sex during a thunderstorm...that would be a heck of a rush. I gotta try that one day. [​IMG]

12. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

No, I don't mind that you made this thread. My mom is extremely terrified of thunderstorms due to tramatic childhood events. She got me afraid of thunderstorms too, but my stepfather changed that. All my dogs are afraid of thunderstorms too, due to it hitting close to my house and sounding like a bomb, which I talked about in my thunderstorm thread.

13. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

14. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

You got a problem with that?[​IMG]
    OK "cool" wasn't the best word, how aboot "energizing"?
    Brent