What's new

Is anyone else excited about Snow White? (1 Viewer)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Chris,
The Snow White laserdisc had a number of problems with color and contrast. The general consensus was that looking at it by itself, it was better than expected for a film of its vintage, but that they had lost the hand-painted "look" of the original.
For the DVD release, Disney has reportedly re-timed their previous work using original cel artwork for reference. In addition, they are presumably taking advantage of more sophisticated digital tools for grain reduction and "video restoration" than were previously available. I am as anxious as anybody to see how well they did.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Matt_A

Stunt Coordinator
I've been very excited about this release! Snow White is one of those films that has to be watched every once in awhile, just to reexperience what really good film making is all about.
Bring it on!
Matt

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I was at Studio Day and saw the SW demo. It looks INCREDIBLE!! I have three copies on order for the free discs.
Lady and the Tramp
Pinocchio
101 Dalmations
I already had the rest and didnt want Jungle Book or Lion King 2

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'm wavering; this could wind up on the list of DVDs I buy because of extras. It looks to be packed with tons of great historical information and such, but the movie itself is Snow White, and one thing I noticed when I last watched it was how dated the movie was - not so much in terms of technology, but storytelling. I don't think you could make a family movie with such a passive heroine nowadays.

Dave Koch

Stunt Coordinator
Ken:
You are correct- the laser had horrible color, compared to the art. Way too dark and brown. The REAL artwork is actually very bright and colorful, something that surprises most people when they see the artwork the first time.
The first version of the dvd was pretty close to "right". As you said:
For the DVD release, Disney has reportedly re-timed their previous work using original cel artwork for reference.
This is true. Unfortunately, it was not close to what the execs thought was "right".
So (of course!), the color was retimed AGAIN, other changes made. It is not horrible- it is a better transfer from the Laser, but it is NOT the colors originally painted orintended. A lot of the "feel" of the watercolor BG's has been lost or obscured.
I ma sure it will be the best, to date. Unfortunatly, it WAS better....
dk
[Edited last by Dave Koch on October 04, 2001 at 03:08 PM]

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
one question for those of you that already have it... is it a double sized keepcase (Forrest Gump, Emperor's New Groove, Die Hard) or a single sized keepcase (Cast Away, Gladiator, Hannibal)?
------------------
Robert Lutter

My DVD Collection
Link Removed Software Reviewer (Coming Soon!)

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
Ok-
I took a quick peek at it (my work has DVD playback capability) and I am quite impressed with it so far. The annoying Mirror Dude talks to you before you get to the main menu. After you hit play movie, you learn quickly that Disney DVD is Pure Digital Magic or something like that. Anyway, I found Snow White to look great for a movie of that age. The colors looked really good to me, albeit there was some wavering every so often in the hues. It was kind of sharp, for the animation in that age...but it did get a little softer here and there for some reason. I think when I last watched this movie on LD, I was annoyed with the shrillness of Snow White's voice. I guess it was "in" at the time..but it hurt my ears. Well, maybe I am a little older now, but the shrill is not as bad as I remember it. As a matter of fact, it was pretty normal.
I will look more closely on my FP when I get home later..and after I take a peek at the Godfather!
------------------
Link Removed
My Home Theater Pics
My Equipment List
My DVD Collection
Link Removed

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
Riddle me this?
So according to the "Oficial Mail-In Certificate" you have to show a receipt dated between 8/1/01 and 10/9/01. So I guess if you just pick it up at the store on 10/9 then you would still qualify for the free DVD?
Anyone?
Troy
------------------
quote::My teacher tells me beauty is on the inside.
:That's just something ugly people say.

Aaron Ulmer

Agent
Troy,
Not sure. If you can preorder it, I would go that route. You won't have to cut your cover to remove the Proof of Purchase tab. That's the main reason I've avoided Disney mail-in rebates. I can't stand the thought of marring my DVD cover.
-Aaron

Scott Shanks

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Shanks
Troy,
I think that is the case (think being the key word there). The easiest thing to do (and most economical) is to order it from a Disney Store in the Cincy area. This way you can just pick up both movies on 10/9 and not worry about the mail-in certificate. Disney's price is $19.99 for both.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks