What's new

Is anyone else annoyed when reviews seem to not mention obvious flaws? (1 Viewer)

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
I have seen this many times over the years and i've just seen the latest example of it this past weekend. I had read both Gamespot and IGN's reviews for Burnout 2 on the Gamecube. I loved the PS2 version and thought it might be worth it for $40 to have the Cube version. So, I picked it up on friday and not only are the graphics a clear notch below the PS2 version but the aspect ratio of the game is clearly incorrect. I compared the PS2 version to the Cube version side by side and there is no doubt these problems are clearly there. So, why did both reviews fail to mention them? Thats the big question. I don't understand how some editor can review a game for a major website and fail to see the problems I saw with this game in an hour of play. End Rant.

Dan.B

Leroy

Second Unit
It is annoying, but reviews are subjective. Some may overlook things like that, regardless of how obvious they are.

I was peeved with all the Timesplitters 2 reviews that failed to mention the "wonky" crosshairs/aiming of the game. I had never played the first one so I had no idea that the aiming was like that. I'm used to the wherever you point is where it stays type of aiming prevalent in just about every FPS. It was such an annoying thing I took it back, sure would have been nice to know about it beforehand.

Josh_SR

Stunt Coordinator
sup peeps..... i have burnout 2 for both systems and the game looks better on the cube then it dose on the ps2.... when the xbox burnout 2 comes out.... if it supports a higher rez then 480p... it will look even better...

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
It won't support a higher res than 480p. But the graphics will definitely look better on the xbox. Plus in two player it will still run 60fps because of the extra power the xbox has.

Josh_SR

Stunt Coordinator
i bet the xbox bo2 will look the same as the gc bo2..... if it could do a higher rez ... then id get it for the xbox but the online scores and costum soundtrack is not enough for me to buy the xbox one...

Josh_SR

Stunt Coordinator
becker...i dont know what your talking about saying the ps2 one looks better ...i have both games and the cube bo2 looks better then the ps2 bo2........ i think you were expecting some super beefedup graphics but remember its just the same game....

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
No Josh, I don't know what your talking about. Seriously, i've played videogames for 15 years now and I can tell when a game doesn't look the same as another version. Your probably one of those people who can't tell the difference between 20 frames per second and 60. I can and I can assure you the lighting is not as good in the Gamecube version and the aspect ratio problem I mentioned is quite obvious if you spend 30 seconds looking for it. My girlfriend even noticed the aspect ratio problem when I pointed it out to her. I had both the PS2 version and Cube versions running on the same tv and I switched back and forth between the two video channels. She immediately noticed what I was pointed out to her. Again, most people won't even notice such a thing but I certainly could. As for the lighting: if you have the PS2 version for comparison do this. Load up a track with some extreme lighting conditions on your PS2 and compare the same track on the Cube version. Thats what I did and it couldn't have been more clear that the PS2 version has better shadows cast from the cars, better bloom lighting on the cars surfaces, and better road textures.

Josh, I realize most people wouldn't notice these things but to tell me i'm wrong just makes you look dumb in my eyes. I know what i'm seeing and you obviously haven't been able to compare the two games side by side like I have. Come back when you have. :)

Dan.B

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
Back to the issue...I agree. I thought Gamespot's review of Splinter Cell for the PS2 was interesting. It said that the PS2 version was just as good, maybe in some ways better than the XBox, but never specified what is better. It mentioned that the graphics were not as sharp, but that was about the only difference mentioned other than the PS2's extra level. I guess this is somewhat the exact opposite of what you originally mentioned, but I guess reviewers are subjective just like all of us.

Josh_SR

Stunt Coordinator
sup....

i have been gameing since the intelavision days and i have had almost every system that has came out sence the genesis days..... right now i have the ps2....gc,xbox and a pc (wich i like the pc over all 3 systems today)... i have the 3 systems hooked to my 52" screen via component cables.... i am one of those peeps that notices every little diffrence from lighting to 25, 30, 60 fps and i like getting the most out of my games.... im not tring to fight with anyone here so dont start sounding childish when you reply to these post dude.... peace man...peace ;)

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
I apologize for calling you dumb Josh. That was childish. :frowning: I'd like you to tell me how the Cube version looks better though. :)

Dan.B

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks