Is an Xbox too heavy to place on top of a DVD Player?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Scott Burke, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Scott Burke

Scott Burke Second Unit

Scott B.
    When I read the owners manual for my sony DVD player it said not to put anything too heavy on top of the player. What is too heavy? I put my Xbox on top of my previous player and it did not bother it, but I'm curious if it might do something I'm not aware of. Thanks.

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

If it's a Sony then anything goes :wink: but seriously you should be fine, especially if the Xbox's feet are close to the edges of the frame rather than right in the middle where the disc mechanism is.

3. Scott Burke

Scott Burke Second Unit

Scott B.
    Well, it is a five disc changer. As long as I have it close to the front is should be fine? thanks again.

4. Jeff W.

Jeff W. Stunt Coordinator

5. Oachalon

Oachalon Stunt Coordinator

ive had my xbox on my panasonic rp-82 for about a year and it has done no harm to it. It will be fine.

6. Jason_A

Jason_A Stunt Coordinator

I wouldn't its extremely heavy.

7. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

It depends on how strong the top of your player is. The X-box is significantly narrower than most HT components. This means it will be resting all of its weight on the unsupported portion of the top, unless there is a middle support which I doubt. Push on the top of your player and see if it flexes any. If there is too much give, then putting the xbox on it could cause the center to bend down, which could eventually cause problems.

8. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

I would say you're okay - that's like 10 pounds at most. It's not like you're stacking an amp on it or something like that.

9. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Supporting Actor

I have my panasonic xr25 reciever on top of my dvd players, and it weighs about the same as the Xbox. I would rather have it on it's own shelf, but sadly space is not on my side.

The reason the reciever is on top of the dvd player, which is much lighter than the reciever, is because the reciever gets hot, and the dvd player doesn't, and I did not want to hinder the reciever abilty to dispate heat, nor transfer heat to the DVD player... Something to keep in mind when positioning all your equipment...