What's new

Is an xbox a suitable substitute for a dvd player? (1 Viewer)

Tim_Stonesifer

Stunt Coordinator
I'm just curious how capable the xbox is as a dvd player. I'm planning on buying a new DVD player in the $100-$150 range sometime soon, but I was wondering if an xbox with the dvd expansion could provide the same features. Are the picture and sound comparable to a regular dvd player? Also, would I be able to play DVD-R and all the other dvd recordable media?

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
In my opinion, the Xbox competes well with most interlaced players in the $100 ballpark when talking about DVD playback quality and fuctionality. However, my Xbox won't play DVD-Rs, SVCDs, VCDs, MP3s, or music CD-Rs. It does play audio CDs fine, and it also plays audio CD-RWs.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
My Xbox plays DVD-RW's fine. As for quality I'd choose a Pana RV-31k over the Xbox but it does compete quite well and is much better than any other console out there.

Ben_Hud

Stunt Coordinator
sound from xbox is great once you get the advanced av pack and get fiber optic for 5.1 surround sounds good. for staying in the ballpark price i say go with xbox because you can't play halo on a dvd player

Tho

Auditioning
if you get an xbox that comes with a samsung dvd drive, it will read any type of media you throw at it .. cd, cdr, cdrw, dvd, dvdr, dvdrw .. but those are harder to find since i believe only xbox manu between nov - dec 2002 came with it. could be wrong on the date but it is harder to find though. xbox comes with 3 diff type of dvd drive, thomson, philips, and samsung ..

best: samsung then philips then thomson

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
In addition to what the others have said, the Xbox DVD remote uses the same remote codes as an RCA so if you've got a universal remote you can use that on the xbox. The one thing is that I had to use the learning keys on my One for All to learn the display and title buttons from the xbox remote but otherwise it was fine. DVD Playback seemed nice but I bought the remote for when I convert my xbox into a media player.

Carlos Mendoza

Stunt Coordinator
I'm happy with the xbox as my DVD player. One MAJOR drawback (to me anyway) is that you cannot call up the display to show the time remaining in the DVD title. This makes my wife's chick-flix even more unbearable, because now I have NO IDEA when it's gonna end. :frowning:

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Can you bookmark where you are on a DVD to resume it later? Or does it remember where you left off last time if you shut the console off?

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Nah when you shut it off the bookmark is gone. However pressing stop then play again will take you back to where you left off just as normal DVD players.

BradleyS.

Stunt Coordinator
The only thing that i dont like about my xbox when it plays dvd's is that it is slightly loud. You can hear it "Power up" and spin the disc faster. I worry if it is bad for it because it doesnt make those sounds except when it has a big level to load or something.

Tho

Auditioning
i use my xbox as my dvd player as well, it reads dvd-r, dvd+r fine with no problems. plus the fact that you can mod it and put xbox media player on it is the best thing yet. lets you watch divx/xvid/wmw movies on it, and you can stream the movies from the PC through the LAN. Main reason why I got an xbox :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks