What's new

Is an HDTV Worth it in the longrun? (1 Viewer)

Bill Geiger

Second Unit
Okay, just a few questions as I am in the process of buying a new Big Screen. I am looking at anywhere between 47-61 inches. Right now I have a 27inch which will be moved to the bedroom. I have Comcast "Digital" cable and a regular Sony DVD player (SON DVPNC600). I also have a HTiB which is also Sony. My question is:

Even though my DVD isn't a progressive scan, will the picture quality improve any?

Also, am I better off going 16x9 HD instead of 4:3 (non HD), and I do understand they have 4x3 HD. But for the sake or argument, to HD or not HD, that is the question! I personally feel 16x9 HD would be the way to go for future TV and also more enjoyment of DVDS.

I don't want to fork out a boat-load of cash, but at the same time, I don't want a TV that will be somewhat obsolete in a few years.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

SteveA

Supporting Actor
Definitely go HD and 16:9 if you can afford it. That's the future of television - and you'll get great enjoyment out of the set right now! Get a 16:9 set even if you watch a lot of 4:3 material. The stretch modes on most sets are so good that you will barely even notice them. And there's NOTHING like watching a DVD on a widescreen set. Sure, you can get the same image with a 4:3 set and letterboxing, but a 16:9 set is just so much more aesthetically pleasing.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Bill,
A Widescreen set with a good line doubler will definitely produce a superior picture with your non-progressive dvd player.

I have a Sony KP57HW40 widescreen and a JVC progressive scan player that can be switched to interlaced output on the fly. Very very little difference between native progressive scan output from the player and interlaced processed by the tv's line doubling.

If you're going rptv, definitely go HD-capable, and unless your highest priority is watching 4/3 ntsc television, also go widescreen.

If your purchasing a television today, you should definitely get an HDTV. Your DVD's will look a lot better, even if you don't have a progressive scan DVD player. I also vote for a 16:9 set rather than 4:3 but not without reservation. The biggest drawback to a 16:9 set is that (to me) the different display modes just can't handle 4:3 material.

Now, I have only viewed a Sony and a Mitsubishi (rear projection) HDTV for any length of time. Neither could display 4:3 material to my satisfaction. Either you have blank bars to the left and right, you lose material on the top and bottom, or you use one of the "stretch modes".

Some people like the stretch modes but I really, really don't. It can be entertaining for a while, watching the visual distortions, but the amusment fades quickly. My favorite is if someone is standing at the edge of the screen. Watching one side of their head get really BIG can be funny...for awhile.

I'd still get a 16:9 set just for the DVD's, but that's me.

SteveA

Supporting Actor
The quality of the stretch modes varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. The TheaterWide1 stretch mode on my Tosh 50H81 is excellent. It's all I ever use for 4:3 material. From what I've heard, the stretch modes on Sony sets are also very good, while Panasonic and Mitsubishi leave something to be desired.

Bill Geiger

Second Unit
Well, believe it or not, I decided for right now, with a standard NON "don't everyone gasp at once" HDTV. I went with the SONY 61 inch. I played two movies on it so far since receiving it in my apartment at 6:00PM. I have played Run Lola Run which is always fantastic but looked 1000% times better. And I also watched Fast and The Furious. Picture perfect perfection! I am still getting used to it. I figure, maybe when this one kicks the bucket, widescreen might be cheaper. Here is a picture of the TV.

Here is what it came with. I know there are many HDTV supporters and I am with you, but for now, this will do.
  • Built-In High Contrast Protective Screen
    New 3D Digital Comb Filter Circuitry
    New Animated On-Screen Menu
    S-Video Detection
    61" Big Screen Projection Television
    Channel Caption/Video Label
    Advanced Pro-Optic™ System
    Speed Surf™ Channel Selection
    MICROFOCUS™ CRT
    BrightView™ Dual Component Screen
    Flash Focus™ Fully Automatic Digital Convergence System
    Express Tuning® System (181 Channel)
    Dynamic Picture™ Processor
    High Contrast Lenticular Screen
    Dynamic Focus™ Circuitry
    Program Palette™ Presets (Vivid, Standard, Movie, Sports)
    Color Temperature Adjustment (Cool/Neutral/Warm)
    Advanced Velocity Modulation™ Scanning
    V-Chip Parental Control
    Energy Star Compliant
    Shading Compensation Circuitry
    2-Rear Audio/Video Inputs
    TruSurround™ Sound with SRS (Sound Retrieval System) 3D Audio Effect
    Dynamic Acoustic Chamber (DAC) Speaker System (17 Watts x 2)*
    Front Audio/Video Input with S-Video
    Front Audio/Video Input with S-Video
    2-Rear S-Video Inputs
    Steady Sound™ Automatic Volume Control with BBE® Audio Enhancement
    MTS Stereo with DBX® Noise Reduction
    Variable/Fixed Audio Output
    2-RF Inputs
    New 2 Tuner Picture-in-Picture with Improved Picture
    Free Layout PIP
    Component Video Input (Y/PB/PR)
    PIP Direct Tuning
    Snap Shot™ Screen Freeze
    Remote: RM-Y905 Luminous E-Z Flip™ Remote Control (TV/VCR/Digital Satellite System/DVD/Cable)
    Favorite Channel (Auto/Manual 8 Channels)
    Dimensions: (W x H x D) 54" x 61 7/16" x 26 7/16" (1370 x 1560 x 670mm) Weight: 207 lbs (94 kg)

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Does it have a 16:9-mode? Many of the larger 4:3 sets nowadays (well... some of them at least, I don't know how widespread it is :) ) can handle an anamorphic signal so you don't lose resolution when viewing DVD's.
And darn, that's a lot of tm in one post. ;)

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
After having my Mits 65" HDTV for a year (AND finally paying off the interest-free financing) I finally bought a Dish Network 6000 satellite receiver with over-the-air module. I feel I am only now getting my money's worth out of the HDTV. The HD HBO and PPV is great! Also, the over-the-air module is pulling in more local digital stations from the Radio Shack antenna I had previously mounted in my attic than I thought I was going to get! I get a HDTV PBS channel, and 5 or 6 other channels that broadcast occasionally in HD. The great part of this is, even though my local CBS and Fox affiliates are not broadcasting HD over their digital transmitter, the broadcast still looks much better than the cable company's offerings or the station's regular analog broadcast.
Moral of the story? DVD's look great on a HDTV, but they are only the tip of the iceburg! :)
Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks