Is an extended warrenty worth it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by todd s, Aug 24, 2002.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I am purchasing a Toshiba 65hdx82 from 6th Avenue electronics. The sales guy asked if I wanted the extended warrenty. Before he went into his sell. I said no. Usually, all they are is money makers for the stores. But, I have been hearing about all sorts of problems that are solved with the warrenties. Now, I have no idea what it was going to cost. I assume a few hundred dollars. My set is out of stock still. So I could still get the extended warrenty if I wanted. Do I???

2. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

By all means YES, on a big screen TV. On my first Mits it was a lifesaver. 5 yrs into it...down it went. Estimated cost was over $500....cost of warranty $250.

Purchased a Mits 3 yrs ago and sold it this weekend. The extended warranty with the ability to transfer the warranty and renew it for another warranty period by the new owners sealed the sale (and probably equated to a few hundred more in the sale price).

If your going to keep it for it's max use or sell it within a couple of years it will pay for itself...in my experience.

Now on the price of the warranty, I would neg.the cost. I went to several Mits dealers...for the same warranty with the same company the cost ranged from $800 to $350. To me this is gravey for the dealer. Allow him some gravey, but not to wallow in it.

Good Luck
    Ron Boster

3. Scott Tucker

Scott Tucker Stunt Coordinator

Todd, I sell extended warranties, and i have never had a customer purchase one and then call to say they wish they hadn't. However, many a customer has been upset, even at me or the store, when their tv had problems. If the customer is not happy with their purchase they are not as likely to visit the store again, even though the store didn't build the tv that failed. Yeah, the store makes money on warranties, but the main reason we sell them is to have the customer be successful with his purchase and return a happy customer. My store even gives half back after five years if there is no claim against it. It also allows for annual spec checks and cleanings that don't count against the half back. I reccomend you invest in the warranty.

Scott

4. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Most of those extended plans cover things not in manufacturing warranties, like power surge. Most are on site too, which makes them more than worth it. Got one on my Panny

5. errol

errol Stunt Coordinator

Hi todd,

Congrats on your set.

Regarding the extended service plan....

I normally don't get these extended service plans but I bought one for this set for a number of reasons:

* TV's enormous size makes it almost impossible for me to move it, put it in a vehicle that would have to be a pickup trup, and haul it to a service center.* It took at least 6 people to take it down to my basement.* I certainly wouldn't want to carry this thing on my back all alone.

* A single in-home service call is almost the cost, if not more, of a typical extended service plan.

* Full Manufacturer Warranty service period is normally only 1 year and then only for the picture tube during the second year.

The Toshiba Extended Warranty Plan is good.* It covers parts and labor for any component failure of the TV.* It however costs over $400 for the 5 year plan.

After doing a bit of research, I got mine from Philips Priority. It only cost me $194 for the 5 yr plan!*($194 for widescreens and $158 for regular 4x3 sets).*

So, let's see.... that's 10.6 cents per day for 5 yrs..... I think I can afford that.* =)

I don't know of Philip Priority's track record. I know of only a few other enthusiasts who have purchased this plan which convinced me to get on the bandwagon. Personally, I cannot make a recommendation either way.

I just hope I never ever have to use it. I'd rather have the TV running troublefree for the rest of its useful life.

Thanks,
    Errol

P.S. Philips Priority has long stopped selling this plan directly to the customer and instead switched the sales through electronics dealers.

6. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Well I got you beat, I am picking up an extended warranty on my tv for 129 dollars, extends it to 50 months in home service, and the best part i ahve the first 6 months to pick up the extention, which is great cause the tv itself broke me [​IMG] and i thought id add in that this is a canadian price. 8.6 cents a day Canadian [​IMG]

7. Levesque

Levesque Supporting Actor

I beat you all. I got the warranty for free if I pay the set cash... Still hesitating between the 65 TOSH and the Sony KP65wv700. In cdn$ the 65hdx82 for 4200$, +free DVD player + free extended warranty... Hehehe.