Is an Axiom/SVS speaker configuration the ultimate bang for buck setup?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jim AZ, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Jim AZ

Jim AZ Auditioning

I have scoured this forum and all the audio review sites for the past two weeks but frankly cannot decide on a system. I keep going back and forth between Axioms, Ascends, and various other speaker makes and models.

About the only thing I am sure of is either a Hsu or SVS subwoofer. I just can't decide definitively on the other 5 speakers.

As of right now, this is what I think would sound awesome in my 15X18 family room using my Denon 1804 receiver:

Mains - Axiom M22ti's: $400
    Center - Axiom VP100: $220
    Surrounds - Axiom M2i's: $255
    Subwoofer - SVS 25-31PCi: $549

Total Cost - $1,424

For those of you who have auditioned countless speaker types/configurations, is there anything out there that would rival/surpass this setup at this price point. Thanks for any and all responses.

Jim

2. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    [shakespeare's voice] Ascend or Axiom, that is the question. [/shakespeare's voice]

Hi Jim,

Heh, join the crowd! I can't make up my mind either. Curtis SC and countless others have been helping me out...and I keep changing my mind. Both are awesome.

The Onix Rockets (ELTs) have also been mentioned quite a bit, but based on the reviews I've read, they aren't really quite what I'm looking for.

I've narrowed my choices down to Ascends or Axioms...I am currently mulling over the center channel of each brand (340C vs. VP-150) and I think that will be the deciding factor.

There's lots of Ascend and Axiom reviews out there. They are all mostly favorable, which of course complicates things...but it does make for quality reading. [​IMG]

3. Jim AZ

Jim AZ Auditioning

Hey Mike, I hear ya. Those are my top two choices also, although I'm leaning towards the Axioms. Asthetics are important and I like the way the Axioms look. But I just don't know. Maybe some audiophiles will chime in and help us with our decision.

Jim

4. Frank Mowry

Frank Mowry Stunt Coordinator

Jim,
    I'd go (actually I did go) with the QS4 surrounds and the VP150 center if you can swing them. The M2is would make good rears. Also if you go to the Factory Outlet at the Axiom site, you'll save %10. Email amie@axiomaudio and ask if they have what you want in the factory outlet. Some times they don't post if they have B-stocks if they only have 1 or 2 available.

Frank

5. MichaelDDD

Mike
    Heh, aesthetics is also the main reason I'm leaning towards the Axioms. I know they are finished in vinyl, but all the professional and amateur reviews say the same thing; "it's GOOD vinyl." [​IMG] They look pretty sweet to me, and that's the important thing.

Performance b/t the CBM-170 and M22 is so close...each one's strength's is offset by it's weakness and vice versa for the other one...does that make sense? [​IMG] It does to me...I think.....

The relative "lack" of bass from the M22 vs. the 170 is negated by the fact that I use a sub with both music and movies.

At this point, I'm really leaning towards the Axioms.

First purchase: pair of M22s/VP-150
    Second purchase: pair of QS8s

I know that direct radiating surrounds are better for multi-channel audio, but I really like a diffuse surround sound field come movie time. [​IMG]

I've been dealing with Amie from Axiom and Dave from Ascend via email. Very nice people and quick to reply. Customer service is not completely dead, apparently. It's nice to see a company that actually cares if you buy their product or not! Heh, I guess I've been buying B&M for too long. Brainless salespeople with no knowledge of their product and no manners either...it grates on your nerves after ahwile.

6. David*RT

David*RT Stunt Coordinator

JimAZ,
    Change the center to Axiom VP150. If you research, you'll find that center SUBSTANTIALLY better to negate any cost difference. Yes, the VP150, BY FAR.

Yes, I also agree that aesthetics are VERY important. Since Axiom and Ascend are so fantastically good (I own both Ascend 170 and Axiom m22), I'd go for the nicest looking speaker.

IMHO, the Axiom wins in this category....easily. The vinyl is very nicely done. GREAT cosmetic quality.

SVS sub is also a fantastic choice.

Your choices are win, win, win across the board. Just change the center to the VP150 or you'll be sorry. If you can't quite afford the VP150 at this time, then SAVE your money. Don't get the VP100 as it's a CLEAR step down in performance compared to the VP150.

7. Jim AZ

Jim AZ Auditioning

Hey guys, thanks for all your responses. I really am leaning heavily towards the Axiom setup and thanks for the tip regarding the VP-150.

If you care to add anything else or if anyone else out there wants to to voice their opinion (good or bad) about their experiences with an HT speaker setup in the $1.5K range, please do.

Jim

8. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

I'd say get a pair of each....listen to them at home...and send back the pair that you least like.

9. Jose T

Jose T Stunt Coordinator

Jim:

I would go with the Axiom's as well. If you can swing it seriously conider the Q-8 or 4's as your surrounds. The 150 as the center channel is awesome too. Check out their b selection from the online store. It was hard for me to find and defect and they carry the same waranty.

10. Billy.K

Billy.K Auditioning

jim, I have the m22's, vp150, 3 qs-8 surrounds. The set-up is fantastic. Dialogue is clear through the vp 150, even when watching one of those romantic english periodic flicks with my wife. The qs8's create an amazing soundfield all around the listener. I sometimes put on the opening battle scene in Gladiator just for thrills. Our cats bug out when were watching an action flick with a heavy surround presence. If you can fool the ears of a hunter, then you're onto something special. Good luck.

11. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    My Current Setup:
    Axiom M22's - Mains
    Axiom VP150 - Center
    Axiom QS8's - Side Surrounds
    Klipsch Quintets - Back Surrounds(soon to be replaced by Axiom M2's)
    SVS 20-39 PC+

I Switched from Klipsch Reference Series speakers to this setup and i think the Axioms actually sound more detailed than the Klipsch. The only holdovers from the old setup are the SVS(the only thing kicking this sub from my setup is another SVS!)and the soon to be replaced Klipsch quintets for the back surrounds(i have them mounted on a header beam pointing down toward the listening position). I don't regret the switch for a second. Love my Axioms![​IMG]

12. Bill Polley

Bill Polley Second Unit

Holy Cow guys! Usually I see answers all over the board for everything BUT the Axioms. I have had an SVS 16-46 PCi for well over a year now, and just bought some outlet Axiom M80s, VP150, and QS-8s. With the 10% discount for buying outlet stuff, plus an additional 5% for buying a full set (without a sub), I paid $1632 shipped. They arrived from California to my home in Wisconsin in 2 days! I will NOT be sending these back!

Try the Axioms. You can return them if you wish, but I can tell you that mine are sweet! And no, I can not find any defect that would cause them to be outlet items. Mine are all in matching cherry and were processed and shipped within about 4 hours of my telephone call to order them!

By the way...an SVS is a great choice, but remember to buy a BFD.

13. Bry_DD

Bry_DD Second Unit

my mains are M60 with Vp150. powered by Denon 3801 and my surrounds are B&W LM1 sides and back and my sub is SVS25-31cs. Bought the Axioms unheard and I can't be happier. They match really with the Denon and blend really good with my surrounds. They sounds really good specially with DVD-A. Good luck and have fun.

14. Jim AZ

Jim AZ Auditioning

That's it. I'm pulling the trigger on an Axiom/SVS setup. Hey guys, thanks for all the input.

Jim

15. MichaelDDD

Mike
    What is a "BFD?" Bass F?????? Device? Bass fluctuation device? [​IMG] I've seen this mentioned here before.

Thanks!

16. Bill Polley

Bill Polley Second Unit

Behringer Feedback Destroyer...it's a component used in concert setups to eliminate feedback. It is also a stereo 12 band fully parametric EQ that is perfect for smoothing a sub's response. At under $120, it is a nearly indispensible piece of electronics when great bass performance is desired. (in my opinion)

17. MichaelDDD

Mike
    Wow. 12 parametric bands? That's a lot of adjustability. Under $120 too? Quality sounds questionable at that price point.

A good 2-band P.E.Q. is easily over $300 or so.

I'd be interested in checking it out for my own curiousity. [​IMG]

18. JessPrice

JessPrice Stunt Coordinator

Definantly check one out, MANY members on here own one.

19. MichaelDDD

Mike
    How's the BFD hooked up? Via RCAs b/t the receiver and the sub?

20. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

The BFD uses 1/4" or balanced connections, so to use your current RCA cables you'd need an adapter.

Pretty much all the info you need on using the BFD for a sub can be found at: www.snapbug.ws/bfd.htm.

-Robb