Is AMERICAN HOT WAX coming to DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Carlos Garcia, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia Screenwriter

One of the best Rock and Roll period pieces of the 70s hasn't hit DVD yet, isn't it about time? I consider this movie to be a Rock and Roll history classic! Anyone know when or if it'll ever come out?

2. Carlos Garcia

I just remembered all the great songs in this movie, and thought..."That's it!" Yep, that's probably the reason this movie will never be released on DVD. No way they could possibly pay off the music rights. It's a shame too. Arguably the best movie about the history of Rock and Roll.

Carlos.

3. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Well, there's at least an Amazon Sign-Up Page, which I always consider a good sign for a potential eventual release.

4. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan
    American Hot Wax certainly ranks as one of those wonderful, unsung films, nearly forgotten, in large part because of its unavailability.

I had for a time thought this film had received no legitimate video release at all. There was, however, an very early VHS release on the old Fotomat label. Most recently on E-bay, amidst the batch of bootlegs, I found a CED issue of American Hot Wax. I now wish I had atleast bid on it.

Paramount also released films like French Postcards (w/its original soundtrack intact) on the Fotomat label. Interestingly, French Postcards was later issued on Paramount Home Video with a "rescored" soundtrack.

I suspect Paramount did not attempt this with American Hot Wax because of the importance of each and every song to the plot of the film. I wonder just how many songs Paramount was able to secure for home video--I assume they have investigated video releases for the film atleast a few times over the years. Are there a few whose costs are entirely too prohibitive?

Regarding an eventual video release, I like to believe anything is possible. Just look at Heavy Metal , Hot Wax director Floyd Mutrux' The Hollywood Knights, and Ralph Bakshi's American Pop. These films were held up in legal red tape for years over their respective soundtracks. They are now available on DVD with their music soundtracks unaltered.

Jon

5. Joe Bernardi

Joe Bernardi Supporting Actor

Joe Bernardi
    "You can stop me, but you can't stop rock'n'roll!"

And you can't stop my preorder for this DVD when it's available.

6. Carlos Garcia

I'm with you Joe. I have my doubts it'll ever be released because of music rights though. I do have a DVD recorder and all I ask for is that the movie gets played on any pay cable channel like HBO or SHOWTIME...This is a MUST that deserves to be on DVD for life!

7. Carlos Garcia

Since American Hot Wax may never be released on DVD, can anyone at least tell me whether the movie is ever shown on cable in its original widescreen format? All I need to know is on what cable channel and when. I'll definitely be subscribing to whatever channel runs it, and will definitely be hooking up the DVD recorder for this one. Paramount is missing out on a goldmine by not releasing this classic.

8. Joe Bernardi

Joe Bernardi Supporting Actor

Joe Bernardi
    Carlos, American Hot Wax will be shown in high definition widescreen on the HDnet Movie Channel tomorrow (8/2) at 2 PM ET and Wednesday (8/3) at 9:15 AM ET.

However, I believe HDnet Movie Channel is offered only on satellite systems, not cable.

Hope you have a friend with High def satellite service.

9. Scott Shanks

Scott Shanks Second Unit

Scott Shanks
    HDnet Movies is available on Insight Cable in KY.

"I boogied in the kitchen and I boogied in the hall. I boogied on my finger, then I wiped it on the wall." The Chuck Berry sequence in this film was awesome.

10. Carlos Garcia

Thanks Joe, I don't have HDNet on my cable system, but am seriously trying to make friends with anyone who does get that channel! I'm desparate to see the movie, especially widescreen!

P.S. After that comment, maybe I SHOULD consider changing my signature. LOL!