What's new

Is Almost Famous worth buying? (1 Viewer)

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
I've never seen this movie but the word on the street is that it's a winner. Is it really that good? I have a gift certificate and was pondering whether or not to buy the bootleg edition.

thanks,

Jeff

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Hi Chuck,

Looks like I live pretty close to you. I actually live in the Kingstowne area nestled between springfield and alexandria. Small world.

I might check it out on HBO before deciding to buy it.

thanks,

Jeff

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Jeff,
Funny, funny! I live by Springfield Mall, a whole 2-3 miles from you. The movie is great, my favorite of 2000, to be honest. I just don't want to have somebody make a blind purchase due to my taste:D
Take care,
Chuck

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I'd rent it first. I thought it was good, but not good enough to warrent a purchase.
Peace Out~:D

StephenC

Stunt Coordinator
Yes.It's incredible how different the director's cut is from the theatrical release.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
This is a movie that has grown on me. When I first I saw it, thought it was pretty good. Then I watched it again and thought it was good enough to buy.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
The bootleg cut is SOOOOOOOOOOO much better (funnier) than the original cut. I was amazed!!! It's the biggest improvement to an original cut I've ever seen! The bootleg disc is a spectacular special edition. I wasn't all that fond of the movie when I first saw it, but it really does grow on you. The 2 disc-set is really worth having! The commentary with Cameron Crowe and his mother is priceless. Plus theres a free CD in with it. Pick it up, you won't be disappointed!.... Enjoy.:D

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I would definitely recommend it. However if you're not sure, rent first. Also, be sure and watch the theatrical version before watching the director's cut. That way you can see how much was added to the director's cut.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Definitely rent first. Many people, myself included, heard all the praise that was heaped on it and were left disappointed after finally seeing it.

Rob T

Screenwriter
I saw it on pay-per-viewthe first time and thought it was pretty good then I watched again a few months later on some movie channel and thought it was even better than the first time and so I put it on my Christmas list and luckily got it for Christmas. :)
Usually, I'm not into this genre, but I like it. :)

Tom Oh

Second Unit
This is one of the few films which improve with repeated viewing. I liked the theatrical version and loved the Bootleg version. For a pretty good review, read Ron's HTF review.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
When in doubt rent, then make a decision. Personally I think this movie is a very worthy purchase, one of the best films of 2000. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Blu

Screenwriter
If in doubt rent it first but if you trust the opinions of others then buy the Bootleg cut without hesitation!

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
So, if I like the original, do you think I will like the Director's Cut better? I'm asking because I'm debating whether or not to kick out 25.00 for this when I already have the original. I mean is it worth the upgrade? I know I could always sell or trade the original.

Ernest

Supporting Actor
YES, this is an excellent movie just make sure you buy the Bootleg Version which contains 39 additional minutes.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
So, if I like the original, do you think I will like the Director's Cut better? I'm asking because I'm debating whether or not to kick out 25.00 for this when I already have the original. I mean is it worth the upgrade? I know I could always sell or trade the original.
Since the Bootleg contains the original theatrical version, I would say that you should definitely upgrade and sell the old version.

Jeff_P

Stunt Coordinator
When I first rented this I thought it was a good movie. I have seen it about 5 times on cable now and just got the bootleg version for Christmas(after putting it on Santa's List). As I am typing this I am listening to the Stillwater CD. To enjoy this movie, I think, you have to enjoy music.

I would agree to buying Almost Famous Untitles: Bootleg version.

Jeff_P

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks