Is All HDMI HDCP compatible?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Ken Burkstrum, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Ken Burkstrum

Ken Burkstrum Stunt Coordinator

Just a quick question. I was just wondering if HDCP has always come with the HDMI cord or if there are older models with HDMI that don't support it.

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

HDMI is 100% HDCP. DVI however, may not be.

3. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    Lew - HDMI is 100% HDCP compliant but some hardware is not correct?

My Dish ViP622 should be running HDMI to my Westinghouse LTV-32w6, but the HDMI connection does not work. The Westinghouse is supposed to be HDCP compliant but it does not detect a signal from the satellite. I contacted Westinghouse and they said it is a problem with the ViP622. Dish obviously points the finger at Westinghouse. Hopefully this is not the future of digital connections...

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

It is possible, for example, to have a TV with a DVI input, but which is not HDCP compliant. In this case, even though you could by a HDMI to DVI cable, as the entire chain is not HDCP, you would have a problem.

However most displays with DVI inputs are HDCP compliant.

In any case where you have HDMI to HDMI you will be HDCP compliant and everything should work. However if one component in the chain is not HDCP compliant, then everything falls apart.

It is not uncommon for one provider to point the finger at another in these software/hardware/firmware issues.

5. MartinMcGeough

MartinMcGeough Auditioning

hi,
    Just read this thread. I'm connecting a Pioneer Elite VSX-23TXH receiver hdmi output (1.3 and hdcp) to a Pro8100 viewsonic projector hdmi input (1.3 and hdcp compliant also). I get nothing on the screen - not even an error message. The onscreen menu does not even display. Both units function perfectly with other sources / outputs. Also, the component out of the AVR into the component in on the projector works. I've tried 2 different AVRs and neither has worked. I've also run a PS3 directly to the projector (HDMI) and that also works. Pioneer says it's the projector's problem. Viewsonic says that the units are possibly incompatible even though they are both hdmi 1.3 and hdcp compliant.

Just thought I'd add my story - if anyone out there has a solution, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Marty