What's new

Is adding a sub worth it? (1 Viewer)

Dave_Whiting

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking at adding a sub to my system. At the mo my front speakers do all the bass.
http://www.aadsound.com/Products%20P...ct%20page.html
Anyway the specs say these speakers go to 30Hz but I am pretty sure the dont go that low (maybe at -10dB). If I add a sub will there be a noticable difference in music and HT. I have the HK 220 avr, and in music stereo mode you send all the bass info to the front speakers and the bass. Hence getting a doulble up of bass. You can turn the bass in the 2 front speakers down to make up for this I suppose. If using this config and the bass coming out of the sub is also coming out of the front speakers is it a 3dB gain or 10dB gain??
Would I find this annoying or should I be able to get a go blending of sub with the front speakers?
One last question. Is a sub good for music or not noticeablly better than decent front speakers.

RichardH

Supporting Actor
3 dB gain for doubling speakers, but in the case of the lower frequencies, you may get up to 6 dB because of coupling.

You will definitely notice the difference on movies, and music should be quite a bit better as well. With some careful tweaking you should be able to get a sub to blend well w/ your mains.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Yes, a subwoofer will make a significant difference (assuming you get something decent).

I would suggest using the crossover and send all bass info to your subwoofer. Your mains will still reproduce some bass (a xover is not a brick wall). Having multiple bass sources within a room can turn into a configuration nightmare (lots of peaks and nulls in the response). By using the crossover, you'll also free up power for your mains (resulting in better dynamics, headroom, etc.).

Dave_Whiting

Stunt Coordinator
Greg,

In the HK 220 you cannot set the front two speakers to small in stereo mode. Hence you cannot really use the crossover for music. You have to send a full signal to your mains and all stuff under 80Hz to the sub as well.

Being, I would hope, socially aware (not forgetting, of course, that over here in the UK one can have one's kit confiscated if one is found guilty of noise pollution) I too merely ran a 5.0 system - bass and LFE via the front speakers.

Just recently, however, a very good friend put me on to a company selling off B&W ASW100's - at too good a price to miss. Nett result, I now own two. And do I hear a difference? Oh, yes . . . and so does the wife, kids, dogs, cat - and neighbours (but they're not complaining as they come round to watch as well).

Kevin McCurdy

Stunt Coordinator
Add a sub and you'll probably be amazed at what you've been missing. I thought for the longest time a didn't need a sub and finally a freind of mine convinced me to by an NHT SW3 sub and try it. Wow, it was a like a whole extra layer of sound was added. I'm definately happy I did it.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Based on the specs of your front speakers, you will get fairly good bass but you will be missing the bass that you can feel rather than hear (from 25Hz and below). If you do get a sub, do yourself a favour and get a half decent one too.

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
The kind of low bass you will get out of a good subwoofer (25-31PC Plus)will eclipse what you are getting out of your speakers! I am running (2)VTF-3's and sometimes it sounds and feels like the very foundation of my house is shaking...and that's a good thing! When you think you have enough response from your sub...get another one for good measure!For music I usually back them way down and it sounds fantastic. I also have full range speakers that will go into the 20's.I run mine full-range but strip the LFE out of the mains and send it to the subs.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Another underrated benefit I noticed from adding a powered sub: Audible bass at low levels. Now I can have my music playing quietly and not miss out on the bass.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Quote:

"Is adding a sub worth it?"
----------------------------

Yes!!!!

If you have a car with a sub incorporated in the sound system you can hear how much the sub fills out the sound. It does the same with your HT system.

DonaldM

Grip
After ten plus years of HT I finally broke down and bought one, (Klipsch downward firing), It doesnt just sound like its shaking the windows and walls it DOES.
Scares the hell out of our cat. ;)

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Dave I sold a Sony WM-40 to a friend about a year ago. He is the same age as myself- 43 and he could not believe the difference it has made, especially for HT. He had suround sound for many years but no sub. He would not do with out it now. Donald our cat just lays on his chair in the HT room, no matter what the level. He is only a few years old. He must be deaf? A good HT cat though, would not you say?

DonaldM

Grip
Steve nn,
Sounds like a great cat, ,maybe your cat could call my cat and explain to him "its only a movie, its only a movie".?

Don

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks