What's new

is a sub in each corner + lfe sub a good idea? (1 Viewer)

Michael E

Grip
I know this is a very talked about topic, but I recently read an article where the reviewer states that the ultimate HT set up would be a sub in every corner plus an lfe sub. Is there a way to do this with out cancellations?

Mike

ling_w

Second Unit
This site discuss about subs in multiple corners and its effect on room modes:
http://www.sonicdesign.se/subplace.html
Basically, sub at adjacent corners would reduce room 2x+1 room modes. Subs at 4 corners would reduce both 2x+1 length and width modes. 8 subs would cancel height modes also. Best of all is a wall of subs.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Michael,
First, welcome to the Forum!
Many knowledgeable people here feel that the more subs you add in various places around the room the worse response gets, and the harder it is to smooth it out. Extensive testing by audio professionals like Tom Vodhanel, Tom Nousaine and Howard Ferstler have concluded as such, and my own experiments bear this out as well.
I got the smoothest response, highest output and lowest extension when I put both my subs in the same corner and equalized them. Of course, no two rooms are the same, but more oft than not this seems to be the conclusion most people come to.
P.S. Michael, there is going to be a local HT meet in Katy on Saturday 3/2. E-mail me at [email protected] (not the address at the icon above) if you’re interested in attending.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Michael E

Grip
Thanks for the link it was very informative reading. Presently I have my subs in one corner for the lfe. I do have powered towers with built in 12inchers at 4 corners as well. I have read the debate about powered towers and non-powered and I have not reached a conclusion on how to run these yet. I have taken 3-4 weeks with them run as small with subs in the corner doing the low end work. I now have them run as large with the subs in the corner only doing lfe work. So far I find setting them to large to sound subjectively better the at small. I can not really nail down why yet, that will take a bit more listening. The level of bass is about the same in each situation, just different in coverage if that makes sense. Anyway thanks for the great info. You all are a great resource thanks

Mike

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
"I have taken 3-4 weeks with them run as small with subs in the corner doing the low end work. I now have them run as large with the subs in the corner only doing lfe work. So far I find setting them to large to sound subjectively better the at small"
:)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Michael,

I suggest getting a test CD and an SPL meter and take some readings. This will eliminate the “guess work.”

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Michael E

Grip
Thanks Wayne. Actually I have used an spl meter and several test dvds. Each setup seems to do things a little different and accels at different things. Tonight I wired my subs with my mains and used the crossover on the subs to route only info 50hz and above to the mains everything else then goes to the subs. I have set the decoder to no sub routing all lfe info to the mains. Early calibration and listening has proved promising. The most notable thing is smoother blending with the mains. I do still have my rears set to large which seems to sound better in my dedicated theater room. Too many choices really, but that is what makes it so fun I guess?!

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks