Is a POWER CONSOLE necessary?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Tim_, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Tim_

Tim_ Stunt Coordinator

I been seeing the power console everywhere in any audio/video showroom display. They do look nice and showy but its cost a fortune to get even a entry level one by Monster as that the only brand I seem on the market so far. My question is that is it really necessary? Would a regular surge protector from Target works.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    www.powersystemsdirect.com should have something decent in just about any price range you are comfortable with. I like the Panamax stuff.

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Well, a fair amount of people need something to plug their stuff into. If you've got your own home, then read the thread towards the top of the Tweaks area about whole house.
    It's really not an easy question to answer Tim because some buy these console or shelf type units for reasons like switched/unswitched outlets, triggers, sequenced turn on, coolness factor, as well as some means of secondary surge protection. If you're going to consider the shelf type units, then you'll find that the Belkin's are discounted pretty heavily. APC is also going to be introducing such units for the HT market and who knows who else is going to make a play. The competition is going to be great for the consumer and hopefully it'll drive the prices down and cause Panamax and especially Monster to provide more meaningful specs as well as ballsier units.

If you're really strapped for cash, then Stratitec has a unit for around $20 at Sam's Club or online at directron.com for a bit more.

4. Tim_

Tim_ Stunt Coordinator

Couldn't help myself when I look up the Belkin PureAV Power Console. Its just so perfect for me in the slim brush alumium casing. When I look up the price online with some heavy discount for the PF30 shipped for only $116.00 I just close my eye and bought it. I know its waste of money but they look so good together.

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

It's tough to decide on something like that or 4-5 lap dances at Scores. Both can give you a bona fide rise. If you find some of the features beneficial to your setup then I think you'd be hard pressed to do better at the prices that are out there.

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

[​IMG]

it seems like a nice unit, especially for a hundred bucks. i think you got a good deal. heck, i like it better them my monster powerbar!