Is a post-restack convergence necessary?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff peterson, Apr 22, 2002.

1. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

I finally made it over 100 hours on my Toshiba 50H81 RPTV and did the screen restack. While I had it off, I dusted the lens with a camera brush. After replacing it and letting it warm up 45 minutes, I redid the convergence. The edges especially needed it. Normal after a restack?

Gregg L?

2. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    yes!

You will also have to redo your electronic and mechanical focus. (if you want it perfect).

FWIW, I have learned to do convergence work absolutely last during a calibration. Everytime you bump or move the set it throws the convergence off a little bit. (some sets worse than others)

3. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

Jeff,

If the screen position changes the throw distance from the CRT to the screen changes. As Gregg stated, mechanical setup and convergence needs to be redone for optimal performance. Regards.

4. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

Thanks, fellas.

Which screen do the CRT's actually focus on? The one that's on the inside as the set comes from the factory; ie, the one now in the middle since I moved the glare screen to the innermost layer?

Now that I've done it and found how easy it was, I think I'm going to remove the glare screen altogether, replacing it's thickness with narrow strips of paneling. That way no reflections will occur back into the cabinet from it.