is a phone line needed for tivo?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Hill, May 14, 2001.

1. Steve Hill

Steve Hill Agent

and if so what happens w/o one. i'm thinking of getting a direct tv tivo and i don't have a phone line anywhere near the unit. i know about the wireless thingies, but if it's not that important i won't bother.

2. Larry Schneider

Larry Schneider Second Unit

You do need a phone line. The machine downloads software and menu information via a modem. It's worth the trouble, especially DirecTivo. Neat gadget.

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Without a phone line, a TiVo unit is basically just a VCR that uses a hard disk. Almost every feature that makes TiVo worth having depends on getting the daily updates from the service over a phone line.
    I didn't have a phone connection near my system either, and I ended up running about a 100-ft. phone cord around the room. But it was worth it.
    M.

4. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

I use a RCA wireless modem jack model 930. Don't use the regular wireless jacks cause they only support speeds up to 14.4. Mine will support a 56k connection and so far has worked without any problems at all.
    Jeff

5. Bob Jackson

Bob Jackson Stunt Coordinator

The DirecTivo calls in daily to get software upgrades, fill in the TiVolution Magazine, etc. Mostly minor stuff.
    But if it does not call in once a month it will deactivate the TiVo service and become mostly useless.
    So either hook it up every so often or if you have phone service, but not near the DirecTiVo, then get a wireless phone jack. The RCA RC-930 or Phonex-411(?) reportly have the best results.

6. Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski Supporting Actor

I have a really long phone cord that I string across the room once a week at night. Then I force a Tivo update call and the next morning I put the phone cord away. It's an easy way to avoid the cost of a wireless phone jack.
    Gregory

7. Steve Hill

Steve Hill Agent

gregory,
    how do you force an upgrade call?

8. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul