What's new

Is a Parasound 855A amp much better than the internal amp in a 797? (1 Viewer)

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
I could probably get a used Parasound 855A for less than or around $500, would it be a great jump in improvement over my current amp in my 797, especially in music. The 797 sounds great in music, but I used to be a stereo only guy, and would like a little more. I don't want to get a 2 ch amp because it was said that my front soundstage may sound awkward, but the reason is that my front towers are 4ohms, and at volumes a little over refrence, the Onkyo does strain sometimes in Direct mode without the sub to relieve it of low frequency challenges. So will it be a big improvement, or am I dreaming at this price? Any other suggestions for a $500 5 channel amp(new or used)?

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Kyle,

Since I have both a Parasound 855 and the 797 I can say yes without a doubt that the 855 is better. It has more dynamic range and reserve power than the 797's amp section. Imaging is also superior. A good outboard amp is almost always superior to any receiver's amp section. The 855 was also better than the Marantz sr7200 and Sr7000 amp section's when i had owned those receiver's. You would definetly make an improvement in sound quality by adding the 855 or any other decent HT amp to your system.

Take Care,

Dalton

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks