What's new

Is a Paradigm Atom and CC-170 "large" or "small" in Yamaha-ese? (1 Viewer)

Mitch G

Agent
The speaker set up for my Yamaha 5640 has a step where you indicate whether the Center, Mains, or Surrounds are considered "Large" or "Small." (This setting is made for each type of speaker individually, but I'm condensing them here.)

The difference as stated in the manual is as follows:

LRG: Select this if you have a large center/main/surround speaker. The unit directs the entire range of the center channel signal to the center speaker.

SML: Select this if you ahve a small center/main/surround speaker. The unit directs the low-frequency signals (90Hz and below) fo the center channel to the speakers selected with "1E BASS."

(1E BASS is then set to "SUBWOOFER" or "BOTH." BOTH indicates the low frequency stuff goes to SUB and the center/main/surround depending on what their "LRG" or "SML" setting is.)

I'm guessing that the small setting is for satellite speakers whereas my Atoms (which I'm using for mains and surrounds) and my CC-170 center are actually considered as large in this case? But, then I started wondering if large actually applied to towers or similarly large speakers with sizeable woofers.

So, does anyone know?
Are Atoms large or small in this case?
And, is a CC-170 large or small?

Thanks,

Mitch

Roger Q

Stunt Coordinator
Do you have a sub? If it's a good one then you should set all your speakers to small.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
If you have a sub set the speakers to small, bass to sub and crossover to 80. If you don't have a sub yet set the speakers to large but don't crank it. I would recommend a sub with theses speakers.

Kevin

Mitch G

Agent
Good point, I didn't mention the fact that I do have a sub. It's a Paradigm PDR-8 - which I think qualifies as good (at least good enough).

So, I'll set up the speakers as small, bass as the sub, and set the crossover to 80Hz.

Thanks,

Mitch

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Definitely small in this situation. I would probably send all the bass to the sub as well, except for with music. I wouldn't use the Both setting.

Roger Q

Stunt Coordinator
I don't use the 'both' setting, just 'sub.'

I'm not familiar with you sub's settings; however, if there is a way to disable to crossover on the sub then disable it. If not, set the crossover at it's highest setting. Use your 1400's bass management/crossover.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks