Is a Paradigm Atom and CC-170 "large" or "small" in Yamaha-ese?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Mitch G, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Mitch G

Mitch G Agent

The speaker set up for my Yamaha 5640 has a step where you indicate whether the Center, Mains, or Surrounds are considered "Large" or "Small." (This setting is made for each type of speaker individually, but I'm condensing them here.)

The difference as stated in the manual is as follows:

LRG: Select this if you have a large center/main/surround speaker. The unit directs the entire range of the center channel signal to the center speaker.

SML: Select this if you ahve a small center/main/surround speaker. The unit directs the low-frequency signals (90Hz and below) fo the center channel to the speakers selected with "1E BASS."

(1E BASS is then set to "SUBWOOFER" or "BOTH." BOTH indicates the low frequency stuff goes to SUB and the center/main/surround depending on what their "LRG" or "SML" setting is.)

I'm guessing that the small setting is for satellite speakers whereas my Atoms (which I'm using for mains and surrounds) and my CC-170 center are actually considered as large in this case? But, then I started wondering if large actually applied to towers or similarly large speakers with sizeable woofers.

So, does anyone know?
    Are Atoms large or small in this case?
    And, is a CC-170 large or small?

Thanks,

Mitch

2. Roger Q

Roger Q Stunt Coordinator

Do you have a sub? If it's a good one then you should set all your speakers to small.

3. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

If you have a sub set the speakers to small, bass to sub and crossover to 80. If you don't have a sub yet set the speakers to large but don't crank it. I would recommend a sub with theses speakers.

Kevin

4. Mitch G

Mitch G Agent

Good point, I didn't mention the fact that I do have a sub. It's a Paradigm PDR-8 - which I think qualifies as good (at least good enough).

So, I'll set up the speakers as small, bass as the sub, and set the crossover to 80Hz.

Thanks,

Mitch

5. Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway Second Unit

They would all be small. If you don’t have a sub, get one. [​IMG]

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Regardless of receiver, they should be set to small.

7. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Definitely small in this situation. I would probably send all the bass to the sub as well, except for with music. I wouldn't use the Both setting.

8. Roger Q

Roger Q Stunt Coordinator

I don't use the 'both' setting, just 'sub.'

I'm not familiar with you sub's settings; however, if there is a way to disable to crossover on the sub then disable it. If not, set the crossover at it's highest setting. Use your 1400's bass management/crossover.