What's new

Is A new Stargate DVD release coming? heres why I ask (1 Viewer)

JohnA

Stunt Coordinator
I have been contemplating picking up Johnny Nemonic and AirforceOne and didn't for these reasons, JN was too pricey in my opinion and AirforceOne was a flipper.
The Price of NM went from $29.99 to $9.99 and at the same time I saw the superbit versions announced.
Having liked the StarGate movie I purchased the original flipper disc and finally gave it away planning to buy the second release that was single sided. I did not realize the second release was matted and not anamorphic.
Locally the second Stargate release was priced $29.99 to $34.99, this has now dropped to $9.99 and $14.99.
I would really like to pick this movie up but, really want an anamorphic version. If no anamorphic version is coming, it is hard to pass up this disc at $9.99.
Thanks for any input.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
First, Air Force One was not a flipper. It has a widescreen on one side and the P&S on the other.
Then, 'Stargate' is from a different studio. Artisan (as has many studios) begun dropping prices on catalog titles out on DVD for awhile to stimulate their sales.
So, this doesn't mean it won't be revisited, but the price drop isn't a tell-tale sign of it.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
Here is something that will make passing up a little easier...
The transfer on the special edition is horrible. I don't know about the first release, but the current release has compression artifacts galore, lots of pixelation, and lots of edge enhencement.
I hear there is a Region 2 release that is anamorphic and has both DTS and DD 5.1. I haven't seen it, but it might be worth getting your hands on if you really like the movie.
------------------
My DVD's
If a movie is not available in OAR, than it might as well not be available at all.

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
Both the regular and SE STARGATE's suck. The Japanese DVD has a 16x9 transfer, with the SE scenes from the same master as the U.S. SE. That means they are upconverted to anamorphic and reportedly, look real nasty compared to the rest of the transfer.
That's what happens when you finish scenes on video!
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Stargate has the absolute worst transfer of any movie in my collection and with the exception of Backdraft (maybe), I have not seen a worse looking picture. The edge enhancement used is extremely heavy. Every object has a halo around it. I felt the sound was quite dated too, it feels more like a DD4.1 movie with mono rears.
orangeman
------------------
Link Removed

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
The picture quality on this disc is among the worst I have seen: the transfer's edge enhancement makes the picture almost painful to watch. Hopefully a new version will be released soon.
I still consider the soundtrack to be near reference quality, though. I don't think I would mistake it as 4.1, as it has quite a few discrete rear channel pans and directional cues.
Adam

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
Both the regular and SE STARGATE's suck. The Japanese DVD has a 16x9 transfer, with the SE scenes from the same master as the U.S. SE. That means they are upconverted to anamorphic and reportedly, look real nasty compared to the rest of the transfer.
That's what happens when you finish scenes on video!
Actually, the Japanese DTS dvd is the theatrical cut, and doesn't use any scenes from the US SE disc (perhaps you are thinking of the new R2-PAL release?). The anamorphic picture is much, much better, with almost no EE present. The only complaint is that the color timing is a little different from the US R1 release. If you're not super familiar with it you prolly wouldn't notice though.
-Matt
------------------
My DVD collection

M

MaxY

Back to the poster's Original Questions for a second here...
You might be on to something. Artisan the people that have the rights to Stargate just did a couple of nice SEs of Basic Instinct and Total Recall, even if their SE packages were kind of Lame the Disc quality is there.
Oh Wait What was the SE Package for Total Recall again?
A Round Tin
Take that tin color it a little different and take the bumpy TR top of it and put a Stargate Top on it, factor in the droping price on the current SE and wholly crap maybe there is a Stargate SSE coming and we can hope for a good anamorphic version of the extended cut.
Keep in Mind both Basic Instinct and Total Recall dropped in price before hand.
As for Air Force one, I have the original and I would suggest if you can live without the DTS soundtrack of the Superbit version, that it is selling for just over $10 at WallMart and Best Buy.
It is not a flipper and is a pretty good DVD. Anamorphic
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
Equipment Lists for My HTs
Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
Time to resume Buying Warner Product!!

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I certainly hope a new release is coming. I need it more to go with my SG-1 discs than for anything else. I have the free Stargate flipper, and have not been inspired to "upgrade" to the non-anamorphic SE.
------------------
Rationality is not a commodity which is evenly distributed.
Thank you Sci-Fi channel for Season 6 of Stargate SG-1
View SpaceDog's DVD Collection

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
For those that were asking :
The new R2 release Special Edition is out mid October here.
Most of the reviews say that the picture quality (anamorphic)is excellent in the main (the quality on the additional scenes is not quite as good), and the sound is also excellent (DTS and DD 5.1)
Also packaging is very unusual (in shape of pyramid), but it can be flattened.
For full review, www.r2-dvd.org

JohnA

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks to all who responded and also clarified the Airforce One issue.
Let's hope there is indeed a new improved vwersion of StarGate coming.
-

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks