What's new

Is a good reciever that important? (1 Viewer)

Ernesto_G+

Grip
I have a pretty crummy reciever right now Some old kenwood that like 3 or 4 years old. Its rated 100x5 wpc and has dolby digital and dts. Its a reciever i got in a HTIB (my first HT) anyway I have ok speakers and a pretty good sub. but it doesnt sound good to me I have to crank up the volume to hear dialogue and to get the bass impact I want to get from movies. By the way my speakers are the polkrm7200 set and a SVS pb2 plus. Right now I dont have sufficient funds to get a new reciever but im wondering if its really that important? Also I want to get something i wont have to upgrade for a really long time...so would serpartes be the better way to go?

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
A different receiver or even separates might not fully resolve the issue of not having loud enough sounds.

Speaker efficiency and room size should also be looked at. I don't know the efficiency of your Polk speakers, so it's kind of hard to tell how they are doing with the power you supply them. Also, if your room is extremely large, it will take a lot of power to fill it - and maybe, going with separates and a good sized power amp might be in order. However, I'd look into the efficiency of your speakers first. If they only have an efficiency rating of 82dB, that could spell trouble. But, if the speakers have an efficiency rating of 89-90dB, that is much better and the receiver you have should be capable of sufficiently powering them - provided, your room isn't too large.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A better receiver would help, but your main speakers are a serious handycap to your system right now. Using separates with those speakers would be a complete waste of money, no joking. Spend some of the budget on a decent receiver and upgrade at least the front three speakers is my recommendation.

Tim Stumpf

Stunt Coordinator
Your overall system is only going to be as good as the weakest piece of gear that you have. I think speakers are the most important, then everything else as you can afford.

Joshua H

Stunt Coordinator
I have a JBL studio setup, using a Kenwood VR-357 (same as 307) that sounds like its pretty similar to yours. The center channel is dead on it and now I'm looking for a replacement... I took home a Pioneer Elite 45tx and was wowed by how much the sound opened up, and was more dynamic. I don't know what those words mean to other people but I think they convey my impression.

Anyways, the difference was significant enough that I haven't even bothered to hook my old receiver back up for more than 2-ch music. When I get back home from school I'm going to look at some other brands, 'cause the difference is too much to ignore. I would recommend taking home a receiver, ideally an open-box so they can't gripe if you return it, and get your own impression.

Andy_Steb

Stunt Coordinator
First thing to do is set up a budget. How much your willing to spend now, how much to spend a year from now, and how much to spend to get to your goal.

I would start with the receiver first. You’ll get more power and bass management. You already have a sub, so proper bass management will help out quite a bit. Don’t forget a 70watt HK will blow away that old 100watt Kenwood.

If you get the better speakers first; you’ll say it sounds a lot better, turn up the volume, clip the Kenwood and burn up your $2000 speaker investment (if that’s your budget).

As for separates, it would be too large of an investment with a small return with your current speakers. If you go this route I would upgrade both.

Speaker wire - Radio Shack, Home Depot, whatever… It will be better than that zip cord that you get with that HTIB. You don’t have to spend a fortune here but you do need to get the juice to the speakers.

Calibration – I know you’ve heard this a thousand times. A good receiver with bass management, adjustable speaker levels and properly calibrated will allow you to watch a movie without touching the volume knob. (You know what I’m talking about. Turn the volume way up to here the dialog and get a little bass. Turn the volume down every time there is a little action.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks