Is a floppy disc necessary for HTPC?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Gardiner, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Hi everybody,

I didn't see a thread on this. Is anyone using an HTPC without a floppy disc? This HTPC will be in a home with a separate desktop PC that has a floppy in case I need to put a file on there for some reason. The only reason I can think to put one in the HTPC is for anti-virus "recovery" discs and such.

2. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

The only true reason you'd need a floppy would be if you were running an older O/S. XP can be boot and install directly from CD, so there's no need for one.

3. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

I will always put a floppy drive in a pc. My home-built system recently crashed and I couldn't do squat. I didn't want to format the HD until I backed up important files but I couldn't get Windows up at all (not even Safe Mode) so for a few days I was stuck in DOS world. Luckily I have an old DOS program called Fastwire (on a floppy) which lets you connect 2 pc's with a null modem cable and transfer files. This little program saved me.

Hey for $9, why not put in a floppy?

4. Scott L

Scott L Producer

There's no floppy in my HTPC. I have a D-Vine case with 2 5.25" bays and 2 internal 3.5" bays, if I had a DVD/CD-RW combo drive I'd probably use the 2nd 5.25" slot for a floppy but having 2 seperate disc drives for DVD and CD won't allow that. Either way I haven't had to use the floppy since I put it together.

If you're on a network transferring the info from a floppy shouldn't be a problem, and if you're worried about boot disks just get a pack of CD-RWs and set your BIOS to look at your CD drive before the HD when booting.

5. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    I have a floppy drive in my PC, but it's currently deactivated in the BIOS. I only activate it when I need to perform partitioning tasks on the hard drive or flash the BIOS.

Actually, my CD-ROM burner is my floppy drive! [​IMG]

6. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

make sure you partition your hard drive. 5 to 10 gig just for the operating system would be more than enough. so if your OS were screwed, just boot the pc up from cdrom, and format the partition / reinstall OS. the rest of the data can be stored in the other partition.

no need for a floppy.

7. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Sounds great. It looks like I can do without. The expense isn't a consideration, in fact I have a couple extra floppy drives lying around, I just thought it would make for a "cleaner" HTPC to go without. [​IMG] Thanks for the feedback, everybody!

8. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Rob:

Before you go out and get a floppy drive, I'd say skip it. It seems you can get a universal card reader placed in that 3.5 slot instead, and IMHO it would be a better use of your money.

If you REALLY want to transfer files, get a CD burner and a wireless network card and you should be set.

Let the damn floppy discs DIE god dammit! [​IMG]

9. Karsten

Karsten Auditioning

No need for a floppy drive - And if everything else fails , and the system really luck up, you can always borrow (or buy)a floppy drive to restart the hole thing:

Karsten

10. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

I'd echo Karsten. Just as long as you have access to one, you can run the HTPC with the case open and the floppy hanging out the side if you ever need it. NT, 2000, XP all install direct from the CD. I've even seen some diskette emulators that will let you extract diskette images to a file, so your PC sees them as a diskette.

11. Sacha_C

Sacha_C Second Unit

I have a RAID in my PC which requires a floppy drive to be installed. Also if I need to boot in dos mode I can put the startup disk.

Those are my only uses for the floppy drive, unfortunatly, I cant install windows without the floppy drive because RAID/SCSI drivers can only be installed from floppy, but the performance increase from RAID 0 is amazing.